Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

honest question - does Marriott even want my business anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold

I know a lot of people love to beat-up on BONVOY (and I agree, I liked SPG years ago better) - but, my work situation has changed and I am going to spending a lot more time in hotels this year (maybe >250 nights and often for 2+ weeks at a time). The cities I am going to are often not much more than places off of highways - not major cities - but large enough where there is probably one of everything (at least, although not too many Hyatt's for some reason) - but several Marriott and Hilton type properties along with the handful of place like Drury's (which I really like, btw). I just finished a 18 night stay and I picked a Hilton because they had a promo that now bumped me up to Diamond with tons of bonus points..... I am getting my next set of trips planned (at least 40 of the next 60 nights) and keep looking for a reason to pick a Marriott (currently Gold)- but a room is a room for me. I cant get any response to requests about status matching, they dont have any promos (beyond credit card junk), and I got nothing regarding a targeted promo. The city that I am going to next week has a Courtyard about 1 mile from work vs some Hiltons that are a little further - and I like being close. But the Courtyard doesnt have a kitchenette available, no breakfast (I just want coffee in the morning - and something other than room machines - and since 'work' is paying, I dont need discounts, etc).....but, is BONVOY really that bad????

is it work splitting my time between Hilton and Bonvoy for... well points that might have some value in the future?

-m
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:40 am

The hyatt welcoming committee members will be here soon.

Other than that, if Marriott didn’t match your status, there was the fast track to platinum offer prior to the status match offer. May look into that to fast track to platinum.

at this point, choose whatever is best for you. Elite Benefits are mostly suspended with Marriott (at least in North America).
SPN Lifer and miloworld like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:48 am
Original Poster

myperks,
unfortunately, there are no Hyatt properties in the area of where I will be staying (for my upcoming trip - the closest is about 20+ miles away - a little far for my professional needs) - otherwise, I would move to Hyatts immediately based upon what I am reading these days. Even though most of the benefit have been suspend - the ones that will be important to me in the future - being able to use my points for something meaningful (and not 10million points for a stay near O'hare or Newark), lounge access... and the random upgrade might be nice, even though work will tend to allow better rooms.... it just seems these days - here and on some of the blogs (that we all know and visit) that the biggest "benefit" is how quickly issues and problems are addressed (and not created) while traveling.... my threshold for dealing with problems when travel is low these days.

I am a UA 1K - and I have nothing but praise for them...whenever there is an issue, typically it is resolved immediately and without headache....

I am just struggling to see positive comments about Marriott and their properties these days - unlike everyone else who is at least trying...but I acknowledge that I might be reading the wrong things in the wrong places.....but, are they worth the benefit of the doubt?

...and no, I have ZERO (maybe even less than zero) interest in any of their branded credit cards - especially if the benefits are basically non-existent?

-m
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Get Marriott credit card to get platinum immediately or quickly after your stay. But yes Marriott doesn't care about you or me. At all. As a lifetime Titanium (coming from Starwood side) it honestly was hard to accept how bad Marriott treats its guests.

It treats property owners well from what my friends who own hotels say.

I find a hotel company that hawks credit cards w platinum status while suspending platinum status benefits as lacking integrity. That's exactly what Marriott is doing.

I was depressed about the situation until I found Hyatt. I'd drive 20 miles, st least for 15 nights in Jan-Feb to grt Globalist status.
MSPeconomist and cfabar1 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Depending on what kind of Marriott hotel you're intending to stay at having status or not won't make much of a difference. Some have reduced their lounge and breakfast offerings to a minimum and there are brands where being elite means nothing really.

Do you have Amex Plarinum that already comes with Bonvoy Gold? Otherwise as others noted maybe getting a Bonvoy card would make sense. I'm 100% convinced Marriott needs to slash their Elite requirements this year by 50% like everyone else, Maybe find a Fairfield Inn for 4 weeks and then you have Platinum bagged.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Marriott definitely seems to rest more on their reputation and leveraging their CC partnerships than the other programs. Hilton is much friendlier when it comes to promos and bonuses so it's easier to rack up hundreds of thousands of points. Hyatts footprint, quite frankly, sucks so it's really hard to earn/maintain status with them unless you only stay in major urban areas or leisure destinations.

OP, with the number of nights you'll be staying, there's really no need to worry about status since you can easily earn top-tier stats in two or three programs. Just pick the property that looks the best for your needs that week.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
It doesn’t sound like you need anything fancy for your work stays. Perhaps you should take into consideration what kind of vacations you enjoy. I have a friend who has been Hilton Diamond for 10+ years. He just earned Marriott Plat status last year and has done a few small trips mostly within Canada. He’s commented that he gets far better treatment as Marriott Plat than as Hilton Diamond.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

margarita girl et al
you are correct - since this is for work, proximity is probably most important..especially since all of these pseudo-extended stay places are more or less the same...although the Courtyard that I current have booked doesnt have microwave, etc - just a room....although the gym and indoor pool are nice.... I just got Hilton Diamond from my last stay - and have Bonvoy Gold from Amex..... so, yes - it is about the points and later use.... but right now it seems easier to earn more points per $ spend on Hilton than on Bonvoy. This trend in which companies essential make more from their credit cards vs their core business (like airlines?) is concerning. I dont need or want anymore c.c. - especially to have to pay for status..... the rooms get billed to someone else's card anyhow so I doubt I will meet the minimum spends....

Hyatt seems nice - but they dont have any near where I am staying - and as mentioned, being close to work is the most important (and not just because I hate the community - there are practical aspects as well). their footprint is not as good.

-m
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I think you've answered your own question then

QUOTE=mfirst;32941415]margarita girl et al
you are correct - since this is for work, proximity is probably most important..especially since all of these pseudo-extended stay places are more or less the same...although the Courtyard that I current have booked doesnt have microwave, etc - just a room....although the gym and indoor pool are nice.... I just got Hilton Diamond from my last stay - and have Bonvoy Gold from Amex..... so, yes - it is about the points and later use.... but right now it seems easier to earn more points per $ spend on Hilton than on Bonvoy. This trend in which companies essential make more from their credit cards vs their core business (like airlines?) is concerning. I dont need or want anymore c.c. - especially to have to pay for status..... the rooms get billed to someone else's card anyhow so I doubt I will meet the minimum spends....

Hyatt seems nice - but they dont have any near where I am staying - and as mentioned, being close to work is the most important (and not just because I hate the community - there are practical aspects as well). their footprint is not as good.

-m[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

SHLTP,
to a certain extent yes - while we all acknowledge that the short-term perks of status are low due to covid... this is a long-term proposition. Right now Hilton appears to have the advantage for both the short and long game..... and where I am going, there is a hilton garden inn a few minutes/miles further that is probably doable...but this is also probably the opportunity to 1) be closer and 2) get past gold pretty quickly.... but what does and will that mean in the future? Is it worth it... and my concern is that all the BONVOY bashings suggest - "no"
-m
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
With the possibility of 250+ nights this year, what is your current lifetime total nights with Hilton and Marriott?

How close to 1,000 and 600 nights are you, respectively?

What might your future stay profile look like after this intense travel year?

If the number of lifetime nights within either program looks in reach, focus on that one.

Hilton Honors does seem to have an advantage in the current ability to accrue additional years of Diamond status from the Aspire AmEx card.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
My experience with being Hilton Diamond and Marriott Titanium in the past is they don't do much for you, especially if you're staying at the "lower end" hotels and not in a large city. I would consider thinking on what you want to use the with points in the long run. i.e. is there a particular hotel you want to stay at when your are on vacation in Waikiki or Tokyo.

I do like the Marriott app where you can tell them what time you want to check in, especially if you need early check-in and I like the Hilton App where you can choose your room when you check-in online (however, it kind of removes any chance of an upgrade).
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
First, in an earlier post you mentioned the Courtyard has an indoor pool and a good fitness center. Because of COVID many hotels have closed one or both of these amenities. Make sure you call the hotel and confirm that these amenities are actually still open.

But, to answer your real question, if you're staying mainly in the US, no Marriott does not care about your business as an individual. You may have an individual hotel that cares about your business if you are spending enough nights and $$ there for them to get to know you. There will be other hotels that take elite treatment seriously and treat you well on principle. There will be plenty of hotels (especially during COVID) that there is no difference between having zero status and being a Plat/Tit/Amb. If your stays are mainly in Europe or Asia, ignore this paragraph, and no matter where you stay YMMV. :-)

One thing I recommend (and believe margarita girl did as well), is get an idea as to where you like to use your points. For me, Marriott has more aspirational properties AND I really like the historic and/or very unique properties in the Design/Luxury Collection/Autograph Collection groups so Marriott will remain my primary over Hilton.

Originally Posted by mfirst
SHLTP,
to a certain extent yes - while we all acknowledge that the short-term perks of status are low due to covid... this is a long-term proposition. Right now Hilton appears to have the advantage for both the short and long game..... and where I am going, there is a hilton garden inn a few minutes/miles further that is probably doable.... Is it worth it... and my concern is that all the BONVOY bashings suggest - "no"
-m
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

I have a long way to get life time anything as this is the first time my work has me staying long term anywhere. Previous travel had me a day here or a day there or places where I wouldn’t get credit - mainly international travel.

part of the goal might be good non-us experiences
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Marriott at $20K spend has the amabassador level - that is where things get better. Titanium isn't bad and even at platinum and courtyards you get $10 a day for F&B, which is enough for a parfait and an orange juice, which is my typical breakfast.

my ENTIRE reason to stay Marriott is their portfolio when traveling with my family and having them get treated like Queens. I have had properties make my daughter cupcakes for her birthday, give my wife spa credit etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.