Re: insight on some missing points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Re: insight on some missing points

Hey all,

Hoping for some insight on the following situation

Staying at the Renaissance Vinoy St Petersburg, FL. On a healthcare worker rate, helping out at a local facility. On my fifth stay this year, each about 8-10 nights. Will probably have 7 similar stays in 2021 until the world normalizes

Just realized I never received any points for the hotel room charge on any of my stays (though received the nights credit). Reached out to Marriott, heard back from Clinton Stoller, room operations manager at the Vinoy informing me that since the room charge is on a master account paid with a card which is not in my name, I don’t get the points. First time this has happened to me in hundreds of similar stays.

So my question is - is this a thing? If the stay is on a master account paid with a corporate card though booked with my rewards number and my name, am I not eligible for the points? Did I just get lucky all the other times at other hotels? If that’s the case easy enough to fix in the future, just book with my card and get reimbursed. Just doesn’t seem right

Thanks in advance
b
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by dtwdoc
Hey all,

Hoping for some insight on the following situation

Staying at the Renaissance Vinoy St Petersburg, FL. On a healthcare worker rate, helping out at a local facility. On my fifth stay this year, each about 8-10 nights. Will probably have 7 similar stays in 2021 until the world normalizes

Just realized I never received any points for the hotel room charge on any of my stays (though received the nights credit). Reached out to Marriott, heard back from Clinton Stoller, room operations manager at the Vinoy informing me that since the room charge is on a master account paid with a card which is not in my name, I don’t get the points. First time this has happened to me in hundreds of similar stays.

So my question is - is this a thing? If the stay is on a master account paid with a corporate card though booked with my rewards number and my name, am I not eligible for the points? Did I just get lucky all the other times at other hotels? If that’s the case easy enough to fix in the future, just book with my card and get reimbursed. Just doesn’t seem right

Thanks in advance
b
As far as I know, master billed rooms don’t get credit. Even if not master billed, I think if you don’t personally pay for it (ie spouse paying), technically don’t credit as well, although normally they do.
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.

Last edited by myperks; Dec 19, 2020 at 3:13 pm
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:47 pm

The Marriott program Terms and Conditions aren't as clear as those of other hotel groups. (Other programs specifically state that rooms that are direct billed aren't eligible.) But, here some of the pertinent rules from the Marriott site (emphasis mine):

-----

2. EARN POINTS
2.1 Earning Opportunities at Participating Properties
2.1.a. A Member will earn:
i. Ten (10) base Points for each U.S. dollar, or the currency equivalent, that is incurred and paid for by the Member on Qualifying Charges in accordance with Section 2.1.b, except at[list of brand exceptions continues here]

-----

2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A “Stay" or “Qualifying Stay” means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which (i) the room is billed to the Member, or (ii) the guest room is direct billed to the company who has arranged payment for the Member’s stay that is not associated with a convention or group meeting.

Source: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#earn
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
unfortunately this is correct. If you have the option to book on your personal card and get reimbursed, then do so to guarantee points.

Occasionally you may get points on a master billed account, but in my experience it is the exception, and it is not required by the hotel.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
As others have already noted, it is correct. Master Bill stays are ineligible for earning points. Sometimes I have gotten a platinum arrival gift or earnings on incidentals. Typically, nada, zilch. Fortunately very few of my stays are master billed (at most one or two internal sales conferences a year).

I agree with the suggestion to see if you can pay yourself and get reimbursed rather than the current master bill arrangement. Finally, you could try speaking to the Renn. Vinoy GM and politely ask if they are willing to give you some points as a courtesy in light of all your stays. This tactic is more likely to work if you have other properties you could stay at instead of the Renn. Vinoy. If you must stay at this property, you're truly down to the good graces of the GM and hoping they are willing to go above and beyond. By the book, you're not entitled to any points. Good Luck!

--Jon
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
As others have already noted, it is correct. Master Bill stays are ineligible for earning points. Sometimes I have gotten a platinum arrival gift or earnings on incidentals. Typically, nada, zilch. Fortunately very few of my stays are master billed (at most one or two internal sales conferences a year).

I agree with the suggestion to see if you can pay yourself and get reimbursed rather than the current master bill arrangement. Finally, you could try speaking to the Renn. Vinoy GM and politely ask if they are willing to give you some points as a courtesy in light of all your stays. This tactic is more likely to work if you have other properties you could stay at instead of the Renn. Vinoy. If you must stay at this property, you're truly down to the good graces of the GM and hoping they are willing to go above and beyond. By the book, you're not entitled to any points. Good Luck!

--Jon
Wow, seems like I’ve just been really lucky at other properties. Thanks for all the words of wisdom! I’ll be paying for the stay on my personal card and having the company reimburse me. Thanks again!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 8:00 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Just curious, are those master-billed rates generally negotiated with the value of points factored in? Otherwise, Marriott is pocketing the value of points that would otherwise be awarded.

LAX
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
Originally Posted by LAX
Just curious, are those master-billed rates generally negotiated with the value of points factored in? Otherwise, Marriott is pocketing the value of points that would otherwise be awarded.

LAX
Excellent point/question. I was just thinking the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.