Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Beach / Oceanfront in Carolina/Georgia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking for a way to spend a few 35k certificates next summer, looking for a beach destination in the continental US, preferably avoiding Florida because of their poor covid handling (though perhaps my opinion on that will change closer to summer). We're (couple, no kids) looking for a relatively quiet and relaxing sit-on-the-beach and occasionally go swimming or other activities. I know I'll have to pick dates carefully in the summer to avoid peak pricing at 40k.

I've found 4 reasonable candidates so far, but I don't have information to compare the four. Does anyone have any insight/opinions on these properties or their surroundings:
- Courtyard Carolina Beach Oceanfront- Residence Inn Myrtle Beach Oceanfront- Marriott Hilton Head Resort & Spa- Westin Jekyll Island
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by solarbear
I'm looking for a way to spend a few 35k certificates next summer, looking for a beach destination in the continental US, preferably avoiding Florida because of their poor covid handling (though perhaps my opinion on that will change closer to summer). We're (couple, no kids) looking for a relatively quiet and relaxing sit-on-the-beach and occasionally go swimming or other activities. I know I'll have to pick dates carefully in the summer to avoid peak pricing at 40k.

I've found 4 reasonable candidates so far, but I don't have information to compare the four. Does anyone have any insight/opinions on these properties or their surroundings:
- Courtyard Carolina Beach Oceanfront- Residence Inn Myrtle Beach Oceanfront- Marriott Hilton Head Resort & Spa- Westin Jekyll Island
This is just based off my personal experiences. Never been to the Courtyard Carolina Beach. If you have to stay in Myrtle Beach the regular Marriott is the best option. Same thing with Hilton Head. The Westin is so much better than the Marriott. I loved the Westin Jekyll Island. It is very family friendly. The pool was great. Not a lot of activities to do on the island though. limited places to eat as well. But very secluded from everything and good place to ride bikes around and explore.

They also have a brand new Towneplace suites in the outerbanks off NC.

Check out the Charleston Marriott and the Courtyard Charleston Waterfront. Both 35k.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
We do our beach weekends same as you (a couple, mostly just sitting on the beach). We go to the gulf coast though, it's closer, so no insight on the specific hotels. What I've found on those beach trips is that the room matters a lot. Give me a room with a water-facing balcony in a low end property, and I'll be happier than in a luxury hotel in a room with no view and windows that don't open. That especially true during Covid; in normal times I might spend evenings in a bar. During Covid its back to the room after dinner, or even ordering dinner delivered and eating in the room.

We did two beach weekends this summer, and even with Covid, or maybe because of it, the hotels were at or close to capacity. I wouldn't want to count on an upgrade.

Which is all a long way of saying, look for a hotel that will let you reserve a balcony room on points (many don't).
Old Dec 13, 2020, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
We go to the gulf coast though, it's closer, so no insight on the specific hotels. .
The gulf coast isn't any farther for us, and I haven't actually been anywhere on the gulf coast except central Florida, but I've gotten the impression from others that there isn't much in the way of real beaches, mostly just rocks and swamp. Where do you like to stay on the gulf?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I am told Sarasota has nice beaches, but I have never been.

We are doing a stay at the Westin Hilton Head and also at the Westin Jekyll Island this Summer. I will let you know how they go.

If you are looking for a Golf property in that area, The Westin Savannah is also not a bad property with an excellent restaurant, nice swimming pools, and more.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by solarbear
The gulf coast isn't any farther for us, and I haven't actually been anywhere on the gulf coast except central Florida, but I've gotten the impression from others that there isn't much in the way of real beaches, mostly just rocks and swamp. Where do you like to stay on the gulf?
The stretch from Orange Beach, AL to Panama City Beach, FL has lovely white sand beaches, with water that gets clearer the further east you go. We like Pensacola Beach and Navarre, but sadly the beachfront Springhills in both those spots are now category 6. Your certs will go farther on the east coast. I'm not aware of any remaining beachfront category 5 hotels that include balcony rooms in their reward redemptions, anywhere in that area.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:05 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swag
We like Pensacola Beach and Navarre, but sadly the beachfront Springhills in both those spots are now category 6. Your certs will go farther on the east coast. I'm not aware of any remaining beachfront category 5 hotels that include balcony rooms in their reward redemptions, anywhere in that area.
Check out the fairly new SHS in Panama City Beach. It is still only a Cat 5. And while I don't think their base inland view room (that is accessible through awards) has a balcony, the two times I've stayed there, I was upgraded to a balcony oceanfront room.
swag likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:39 am

Loved our recent stay at the Carolina Beach Courtyard. Great area, lots of good food and drink spots both on the island and just across in Wilmington. Easy to drive from RDU as well if ILM is overpriced.
Boardwalk and beach are excellent in Wilmington, highly recommended.

Not sure of your duration, however. I would say no more than 3 nights at Carolina Beach or you will run out of things to keep you busy.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benfro6
Loved our recent stay at the Carolina Beach Courtyard. Great area, lots of good food and drink spots both on the island and just across in Wilmington. Easy to drive from RDU as well if ILM is overpriced.
Boardwalk and beach are excellent in Wilmington, highly recommended.

Not sure of your duration, however. I would say no more than 3 nights at Carolina Beach or you will run out of things to keep you busy.
The direct flight to RDU is worth the drive instead of having to connect to get to ILM. Carolina Beach looks from satellite view like it might be Myrtle-Beach-lite. Is it that crowded? We're hoping for a more laid-back relaxing beach than a busy one, at least at some times of day, even if activity picks up other hours. How is weekend vs weekday? 3-4 nights is the goal, just a break from reality.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Marriott Hilton Head - Great location on Palmetto Dunes but an old dump

There used to be a Westin on Hilton Head?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by buckeye91
Marriott Hilton Head - Great location on Palmetto Dunes but an old dump

There used to be a Westin on Hilton Head?
Westin Hilton head is still there and really nice. But category 6 instead of category 5 like the Marriott is. I 100% agree the Marriott Hilton Head is a dump. The pool is so small that you can barley walk on the pool deck. That hotel needs a major Reno
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Bumping this up -- we've got 3x 35-40k certs expiring on 8/1 and are based in the RTP area so looking for a long weekend getaway. Seems like the best bet is either the Carolina Beach Courtyard or seems like Delta Virginia beach is about a 3.5 hour drive? Anything else of note (considering Andell Inn/Kiawah as well but might be a bit far of a drive for 3 days).
Old Mar 29, 2021, 9:45 pm

Sounds like it may be too far for you, but I am partial to Fernandina Beach, FL, just north of Jacksonville. There's a Residence Inn within a close walk to the beach. There are a number of good restaurants in town in many price ranges.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Bumping this up -- we've got 3x 35-40k certs expiring on 8/1 and are based in the RTP area so looking for a long weekend getaway. Seems like the best bet is either the Carolina Beach Courtyard or seems like Delta Virginia beach is about a 3.5 hour drive? Anything else of note (considering Andell Inn/Kiawah as well but might be a bit far of a drive for 3 days).
I would take a look at Jekyll Island Westin in Georgia. Courtyard Waterfront Charleston or Charleston Marriott. It all depends on if you can get it without peak pricing of 40k points will be your issue on the weekend for Category 5 properties.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marriott15
I would take a look at Jekyll Island Westin in Georgia. Courtyard Waterfront Charleston or Charleston Marriott. It all depends on if you can get it without peak pricing of 40k points will be your issue on the weekend for Category 5 properties.
I agree, finding non-peak availability for summer weekends is tough. I abandoned my search after finding that I could only get 2 consecutive nights at a property in NC/SC/GA at 35k (I also have 3x 35k certs). The Virginia Beach ones I don't think had any nights under 40k.

The two Charleston hotels aren't on a beach, which was my criteria, but not sure what Duke787 is looking for. There's a townplace suites in the Outer Banks, but it's 40k every single night 6/25 through August, and on all Friday and Saturday nights after 5/7. Maybe Asheville is worth a look, there's a few properties there still cat 5 or lower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.