Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Ercilla de Bilbao, Autograph Collection, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

I see we have another option in northern Spain.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

Seems ot be a good option in spite of some mixed Trip Advisor rewiews. Anyone stay there either before or under the Marriott flag?
Old Dec 5, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Would love to see more of these sorts of additions to Marriott!
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Sheraton didn't last long in Bilbao before re-flagging to Melia. Hope this hotel has better luck as part of a US chain.

IIRC I stayed here many years, and it was a typical mediocre Spanish hotel with two twins pushed together, etc. (but well located)
Old Dec 5, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I am severely falling behind in staying in all Autograph properties.

But wow, look at that terrace!! muy caliente!!!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: Lots
Has anyone stayed here recently? Just booked a few nights for early FEB 2022 but wondering if there is any feedback.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by IggySD
Has anyone stayed here recently? Just booked a few nights for early FEB 2022 but wondering if there is any feedback.
Stayed there last fall on a good cash rate. Overall it was a pretty well appointed property in a good area of the city within walking distance to pretty much everything we needed. We were upgraded from standard room to something of a 2 room suite as Bonvoy Gold with a separate living room and big walk in closet. We didn't dine at the hotel as the reason we visited northern Spain was largely to try the restaurants, so can't speak to that. Only minor gripes: 1) Our shower drained poorly and would overflow into the rest of the bathroom where it emptied through another drain in the floor (we probably could have asked for another room, but we don't tend to get bent out of shape over stuff like this and liked the room otherwise) 2) We drove a rental car from Madrid but on-site parking was full so we had to find an underground a few blocks away which added minor inconvenience any time we needed the car. Again, very minor inconveniences and if we returned to Bilbao wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if the price was right.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'm a little confused by the description of this hotel on its Marriott site...

From industrial beginnings comes a city revitalized. An independent region with an independent soul.Infused by British soul. A place full of flavor, full of heart. Passionately revitalized by its people to signal the dawn of a new era .There is a place that stands out. Here you will find glamorous individualist rubbing shoulders with like-minded local, .opening each others mind and awakening their senses. Where food and drink spark love, laughter and the fiery passion that´s within us all. It´s the best of Bilbao with all its proud British history. Passion for culture. Desire for flavor. And love for people are all ignited in one majestic destination.A new kind of hotel where you can experience 70´s glamour. Ercilla de Bilbao a hotel exactly like nothing else.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm a little confused by the description of this hotel on its Marriott site...
The Red Deer design firm from the UK seems to have been involved in the remodel: https://www.sleepermagazine.com/stor...-former-glory/

These were added to construct a geometric effect and reference the city’s strong trade history with Britain, alongside a softer feel created through velvets and faux furs in 70s’ style.
Would be interested to hear from our FTers particularly on the British side if this emphasis will draw more travellers from the Isles.

David
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:39 am

Stayed here recently for 3 nights. Gold Elite. Booked entry level twin queen. Got upgraded to superior king facing the courtyard. Good size room, quiet but some fixtures are a tad old. Bed sheets and pillow cases are really comfy though. Slept really well. Received a welcome gift in room: Macaroons, bottle of premium water, and welcome drinks coupon to roof top bar, La Terraza. View is worth it.

Hotel has a somewhat an art deco/palm springs vibe. Friendly staff. Used Marriott app to request amenities and the service is super fast.

The hotel entrance is located below the street level, so requires a flight of stairs going down. Worry not there is a lift if you have luggages. There's also temporary loading/unloading area on the street level if you happen to drive. Bell person was quick to help me to offload the luggages. Hotel managed parking has to be reserved and is just literally next door to the hotel 20€ a day.. There's also public parking just 5 mins walk away, 18€ a day.

Will stay here again.

SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by sof_lance; Nov 4, 2022 at 10:19 am
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
Upgraded as gold? Seems unusual.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:10 pm

Further up leadhead was also upgraded as gold.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:14 pm

My last trip to Le Meridien in Stuttgart was upgraded as well and a discounted breakfast. But to your point, in my recollection, I have never upgraded as gold in the US.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Moronic upgrade in nice hotel - great breakfast

Made the mistake of staying there during Aste Nagusia (was actually in Bilbao for the Vuelta a Espana) and was given the STUPIDEST UPGRADE EVER. I didn't notice while walking into the hotel that they had planted a temporary tent in front on the place and certainly didn't think of it when I was given a nice "upgraded room" on the 7th floor. I certainly did notice upon returning from watching fireworks at 11 PM as a full-on disco was blasting from the tent. My room, and the 5 other very nice, large rooms on the city side were just shaking with the sound. I mean there's nothing like Dancing Queen being played at 125 dB to keep you awake at night. At 12:35 I called down and inquired how much longer this was going to go on and asked for a change of rooms the next day. I was told it would roll until 2-3 AM.

I will say that the staff was very helpful in moving me the following day to a much larger (but only one small window) room in the middle of the hotel so I could make my 4 AM wakeup to fly home at 6:30. Just made me shake my head as to what moron upgrades a US-based Titanium Elite (and lifetime Platinum) staying on a business rate to a room over their temporary disco? This doesn't even address the idea of actually installing a disco in front of a hotel, but that's Europe. I should also note that the front-desk manager was "shocked" that they hadn't wrapped up by midnight...

Aside from the staff positives, the breakfast was really very good (admittedly I was a bit tired ) - much better than any others I had at the other hotels in Spain.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
This doesn't even address the idea of actually installing a disco in front of a hotel, but that's Europe.
Totally European.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I had a nice 2night stay here this week too, indeed during their annual ‘fiestas’. Found the property overall very solid. I was on a Luminous rate (have Marriott gold too fwiw) and was upgraded from an entry level room to a vintage premium room on the 9th floor. Room was fairly big, well decorated, but ours had also one small window to the side, so it was a tad dark. Otherwise decent king size bed.

Breakfast was great too, a little compact in my view for the size of the property though.

Staff was excellent, very kind and nice to our little daughter.

I checked out the gym once. Was nice that it had a window overlooking the street and had a good size BUT, was quite random in terms of equipment. Two treadmills I think and dumbells up to 14kg only, though they had quite a lot of free unused space.

Overall I would stay here again. I paid EUR 199 per night. Property was completely full this week…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.