Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"I'm traveling for leisure" Checkbox Meaning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium

When making a reservation on the Marriott homepage, I noticed a new checkbox (didn't see it on the app) that says "I'm traveling for leisure." Anyone know its purpose? Is it to filter out hotels that are restricting leisure travel due to covid?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's always been there: business, leisure, other are the choices.

I would guess that the purpose is to gather more (big) data for Marriott's analytics regarding rate versus number of rooms reserved, etc.

In other words, it's none of their business (but that's not a choice for boxes to check).
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Or it could be that local regulations require this information.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Or it could be that local regulations require this information.
If it was a mandatory field and only shows up when there is such a local regulation I could buy that but if its a generic field on all reservations then I would agree with MSPeconomist (and that was I always thought it was).
vishalgupta22 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:16 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
When making a reservation on the Marriott homepage, I noticed a new checkbox (didn't see it on the app) that says "I'm traveling for leisure." Anyone know its purpose? Is it to filter out hotels that are restricting leisure travel due to covid?
Do you have a screenshot?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's always been there: business, leisure, other are the choices.
in the space where you enter/confirm your credit card details there are 3 checkboxes but they say business, Personal, or other, not "leisure" (at least not for me).

so I'm not sure if this is the same thing being discussed. But if it's this, then yeah, that's been there as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would guess that the purpose is to gather more (big) data for Marriott's analytics regarding rate versus number of rooms reserved, etc.

In other words, it's none of their business (but that's not a choice for boxes to check).
"other" probably fits that the closest
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
There are places that add a tourist tax on leisure but not business stays. I've encountered this in London for example.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pete3
There are places that add a tourist tax on leisure but not business stays. I've encountered this in London for example.
That is a good point. There are several states in Germany that have a similar tax.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Southwest Airlines asks the same question when making a reservation. Never did understand why.

I always put "Business" regardless, because it is none of their's....
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Southwest Airlines asks the same question when making a reservation. Never did understand why.

I always put "Business" regardless, because it is none of their's....
I suspect it's part data collection to see what traffic is on what routes and how they can tweak the network/timings etc.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Do you have a screenshot?

in the space where you enter/confirm your credit card details there are 3 checkboxes but they say business, Personal, or other, not "leisure" (at least not for me).

so I'm not sure if this is the same thing being discussed. But if it's this, then yeah, that's been there as long as I can remember.

"other" probably fits that the closest
I've seen the business/personal/other radio buttons when confirming credit card details, but I had never seen this before:
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
On the credit card part, I think it is to populate which credit card on file should be used for the reservation. I have 2 cards on file, one business and one leisure.

Haven't noticed the one directly above though.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I hadn't noticed that before either, but I do see it on the main page: https://www.marriott.com/default.mi

if I scroll down past the "Recently Viewed", and after clicking in to the Destination field to expose the 2nd row of inputs.

I think I normally click on "Find and Reserve" in the top banner though, which brings up a similar but different form which (at least right now) lacks the "I'm traveling for leisure" checkbox, and could be why I don't remember seeing it before...
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta
This removed my corporate leisure code when I clicked it. No thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pete3
Would be interesting to see a database for places that did this. I also wonder if some of the hotels in the US that are charging a destination marketing fee might waive it for business travelers automatically.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
I've seen the business/personal/other radio buttons when confirming credit card details, but I had never seen this before:
Any chance where you work you use Concur or Travel software that offers special Bonvoy rates? I don't personally have these checkboxes on my Marriott homepage, but do get similar checkbox on my United homepage (Concur Business Travel) which defaults to checked - and if I uncheck it, I get special leisure rates not available to the public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.