Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott posts surprise $100M Q3 Profit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

For anyone looking for the hotel industry to stay viable, this appears to be good news.

Marriott in Q3 posted a surprise $100M profit - based on cost cutting and improved bookings.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN27M1IW

Occupancy rates in North America, its biggest market, rose to 37% in the third quarter ended Sept. 30, from 19.6% in the second quarter.

Greater China was Marriott’s best-performing market in the reported quarter, as occupancy rates jumped to 61.4% from 35.5% in the second quarter.

Marriott's total expenses fell 57.2% to about $2 billion in the reported quarter, while net profit dropped by 74% to $100 million, or 31 cents per share.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:45 pm

While that seems to be good news – it may also reflect some very creative accounting practices.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by macabus
While that seems to be good news – it may also reflect some very creative accounting practices.
Source of these accounting practices for Marriott?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not surprising, since domestic hotels are basically providing absolutely nothing but a room. Elite benefits suspended, no amenities at vast majority of properties, and no housekeeping.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:34 pm

We may never see a free breakfast again....
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Not surprising, since domestic hotels are basically providing absolutely nothing but a room. Elite benefits suspended, no amenities at vast majority of properties, and no housekeeping.
This would be Marriott corporate profits, not the sum of individual hotels (although the very few Marriott owned properties would be included in the total). My question would be the long term cost of this in that price-inelastic elites and other high value customers will be more likely to book away from Marriott in the coming years. Personally, I'll never forgive Marriott for taking away my *earned* personal Ambassador, not to mention their refusal to enforce brand standards or honor elite benefits. I'll return to the places where I'm a repeat guest and have been treated well, but the others are on my "dead to me" or "try hard to avoid" lists.

OTOH, I consider no housekeeping during the stay to be an advantage if I can get enough towels and additional coffee and toiletry supplies.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
My crystal ball says Marriott may well be stiffing ("cost cutting") lots of property owners (see the Service Trust thread) who do not have the ST ability to walk. This helps their immediate bottom line but ... We have seen that Marriott is not real loyal to employees, us guests, nor to the property owners.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Cost cuts are a great way to goose profitability in the short term

Of course, that often results in paying a price in the long term
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Lack of brand standards will be marriot’s undoing. They may have short term profits, which they may be able to exacerbate when they inevitably massively devalue points sometime next year.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would be Marriott corporate profits, not the sum of individual hotels (although the very few Marriott owned properties would be included in the total). My question would be the long term cost of this in that price-inelastic elites and other high value customers will be more likely to book away from Marriott in the coming years. Personally, I'll never forgive Marriott for taking away my *earned* personal Ambassador, not to mention their refusal to enforce brand standards or honor elite benefits. I'll return to the places where I'm a repeat guest and have been treated well, but the others are on my "dead to me" or "try hard to avoid" lists.

OTOH, I consider no housekeeping during the stay to be an advantage if I can get enough towels and additional coffee and toiletry supplies.
This is also how I feel. Marriott made it clear they don’t value my loyalty, even as a top tier guest.
PointWeasel, cfabar1 and asnovici like this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
This is also how I feel. Marriott made it clear they don’t value my loyalty, even as a top tier guest.
X1000
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
My crystal ball says Marriott may well be stiffing ("cost cutting") lots of property owners (see the Service Trust thread) who do not have the ST ability to walk. This helps their immediate bottom line but ... We have seen that Marriott is not real loyal to employees, us guests, nor to the property owners.
Was wondering about this also, since Marriott did not pay some substantial fees owed to property owners/management companies. That must've gone directly to the bottom line since they refused to pay the expense.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Was wondering about this also, since Marriott did not pay some substantial fees owed to property owners/management companies. That must've gone directly to the bottom line since they refused to pay the expense.
How did those unpaid fees compare to Marriott's profits? Also, will this level of profits trigger bonuses for the CEO and other top executives?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:55 pm

Well I am about to book a 5-10K stay with another chain and would have never looked elsewhere previously. I simply am getting nothing for my Loyalty because of COVID rules at the hotels. I am lifetime so I may as well start with another chain who somehow is giving away breakfast and I can't even get a banana and Muffin. I recently had breakfast 3 straight days at McDonalds Next door to a Westin who was not offering breakfast.
VCURamFan and skywalkerLAX like this.

Last edited by jr1202sr; Nov 11, 2020 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How did those unpaid fees compare to Marriott's profits? Also, will this level of profits trigger bonuses for the CEO and other top executives?
The widely reported one that Marriott didn't pay to Service Properties Trust was over $11M. Not sure what other things they haven't paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.