Community
Wiki Posts
Search

they took 250 smoke fee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

they took 250 smoke fee

residence inn aventura florida had alarm go off when cooking big mistake me but blamed for smoking cigs in room oh well cant really fight as tiny bit of smoke might have come fron burnt chicken fingers was nice stay and area next time go area will not be this chain and also me not cook in room
Redhead likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by stablemate77
residence inn aventura florida had alarm go off when cooking big mistake me but blamed for smoking cigs in room oh well cant really fight as tiny bit of smoke might have come fron burnt chicken fingers was nice stay and area next time go area will not be this chain and also me not cook in room
Totally agree
Deckter likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
I almost had a stroke reading that.

The one time the fire alarm went off in my room (not the entire floor) when I was cooking, I just opened the windows and doors to let the air in. No one came and I wasn't charged.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Also the keyboard appears to have caught some grease splatter as neither the shift, nor any punctuation keys work!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I expected the OP to be angry when I read the thread title, but they seem to have enjoyed their stay and learnt from their issues with cooking. What a refreshing change from the angry DYKWIA post I was expecting!
WasKnown, Newman, cre95 and 12 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:47 am

My wife and I stayed at a Residence recently, and decided to make some popcorn. (The "meh" kind they give you). The microwave turn table didn't spin and I did not notice until I pulled it out 2 minutes later. I opened the bag and the center of it was legit smoldering even though only half the popcorn popped. We though for sure the smoke alarms were gonna go off. She had a panic attack. But we were all good! Lesson learned...no more popcorn!
Redhead likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by dbldwn02
My wife and I stayed at a Residence recently, and decided to make some popcorn. (The "meh" kind they give you). The microwave turn table didn't spin and I did not notice until I pulled it out 2 minutes later. I opened the bag and the center of it was legit smoldering even though only half the popcorn popped. We though for sure the smoke alarms were gonna go off. She had a panic attack. But we were all good! Lesson learned...no more popcorn!
Popcorn is the best way to bomb your coworkers out of the building... Put a bag in the break room microwave, set it for 10 minutes, and then run!

We had to ban popcorn in one of my office buildings because of how it would get burned and then make the floor reek for days.
clarkef, reggiekush and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
tiny bit of smoke might have come fron burnt chicken fingers
It generally takes a decent amount of smoke to get to the point of setting off smoke detectors (otherwise every smoking room in Vegas would be setting off smoke detectors or everyone lighting candles would have issues, and I've certainly burned my fair share of pizza) - and how would you not know if it came from burnt chicken fingers or not.

Anyway, if this happened to me - I'd immediately call the front desk - apologize for setting off the detector, and ask someone to come to the room as to avoid a cigarette smoking charge.
stablemate77 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
If I ever meet someone in real life who cooks chicken fingers in his hotel room I swear a set off fire alarm and $250 cleaning fee is the least of his worries.

Jokes aside, considering this was a Residence Inn with Kitchenette which has been used as intended then the hotel can't impose a smoking penalty. I would dispute this charge.
pilgrim and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; Nov 5, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Burning grease smells a lot different than cigarette (or other) smoke. Are you saying they accused you of smoking in a non-smoking room? Did you? I would think setting dinner on fire in a strange kitchen would have been considered an accident if you didn't burn the place down.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Audeclis
Popcorn is the best way to bomb your coworkers out of the building... Put a bag in the break room microwave, set it for 10 minutes, and then run!

We had to ban popcorn in one of my office buildings because of how it would get burned and then make the floor reek for days.
That’s pure evil.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Burning grease smells a lot different than cigarette (or other) smoke. Are you saying they accused you of smoking in a non-smoking room? Did you? I would think setting dinner on fire in a strange kitchen would have been considered an accident if you didn't burn the place down.
My thoughts too. What is it with the OP’s “oh well I got charged 250 (what currency?) for burning food, but never mind” attitude? Maybe they did smoke in the room. All vert odd.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

did not smoke in room

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
i found it strange they said saw burt cig and tried to contact manager but both off during weekends soo i emailed every day no reponse seems like they just wanted to wait and see if i go away when we got home they said one of them that emailed me they were off a couple more day and one i called said would call back in 15 mins haha nope i gave up they one just glad didnt smoke to much with chicken fingers and bother neighbors
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
i found it strange they said saw burt cig and tried to contact manager but both off during weekends soo i emailed every day no reponse seems like they just wanted to wait and see if i go away when we got home they said one of them that emailed me they were off a couple more day and one i called said would call back in 15 mins haha nope i gave up they one just glad didnt smoke to much with chicken fingers and bother neighbors
Use. Punctuation.
griffinj, Zacnlinc and iskingolf like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Also the keyboard appears to have caught some grease splatter as neither the shift, nor any punctuation keys work!
why use lot word when few word do trick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.