Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Now Extended: Eligible Free Night Awards & Point Expirations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now Extended: Eligible Free Night Awards & Point Expirations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by LAX
I would take that for each of my certs (mine are up to 35K, so willing to settle for 30K each).

LAX
I think the example above was referring to a 7 Night TP rather than a FNA
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:39 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have a 7 night cat 4 (25K pt/night) cert.
They offered you 45K for that? How generous!

LAX
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I was told the opposite a couple of days ago. The agent exclaimed “it was issued in 2018” and that it had already been extended. I pointed out that I had never asked for an extension since it had been converted from old cert to new cert and reissued in July 2019 and Marriott had given me a 7-8 month extension due to the pandemic. She was having none of it. I figure I’ll wait to see what happens on the 11th.

She did say it could be cashed out for 45K pts.
I swear the history of certificate extensions and expiration is the only thing Marriott keeps meticulous and reliable records of.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LAX
They offered you 45K for that? How generous!

LAX
I’m wondering if you remember how these certificates were initially generated. I redeemed 270K Marriott points and got 132K UA miles + 7 night cat 4 cert. Given that the conversion ratio from Marriott pts to miles is usually 3:1, the residual value of the 7 night cert should be almost nil.

(I realize UA is a preferred partner and the conversion rate is more generous than with other airlines.)
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:46 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I’m wondering if you remember how these certificates were initially generated. I redeemed 270K Marriott points and got 132K UA miles + 7 night cat 4 cert. Given that the conversion ratio from Marriott pts to miles is usually 3:1, the residual value of the 7 night cert should be almost nil.

(I realize UA is a preferred partner and the conversion rate is more generous than with other airlines.)
I don't have that kind of point balance, so I obviously have no clue!

LAX
Old Dec 4, 2020, 6:54 am

Were they really Marriott points or starwood points? I ened up with many of these cat 4 certificates and sadly looks like they are all going to expire early 2021. I would have been far better off redeemed for higher category certificates then.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
Were they really Marriott points or starwood points? I ened up with many of these cat 4 certificates and sadly looks like they are all going to expire early 2021. I would have been far better off redeemed for higher category certificates then.
Yes, Marriott pts, or the equivalent of 90K SPG pts which should have converted to 112K UA miles (using 1:1.25 conversion). So those TP certs were basically free. I wish I had got more of the higher cat certs too. But worst case is you can cash in your unused certs for 45K Marriott pts. So your net cost for whatever airline miles you chose was 225K Marriot pts, a very good trade! There is a cat 4 Sheraton near me. I'm debating whether to just book a 7 night stay there and go and enjoy breakfast and get 7 elite nights for 2021 for the equivalent of ~6.5K pts/night!.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Marriott pts, or the equivalent of 90K SPG pts which should have converted to 112K UA miles (using 1:1.25 conversion). So those TP certs were basically free. I wish I had got more of the higher cat certs too. But worst case is you can cash in your unused certs for 45K Marriott pts. So your net cost for whatever airline miles you chose was 225K Marriot pts, a very good trade! There is a cat 4 Sheraton near me. I'm debating whether to just book a 7 night stay there and go and enjoy breakfast and get 7 elite nights for 2021 for the equivalent of ~6.5K pts/night!.
Since you are already life time elite, there is no need for the elite qualifying nights unlike many of us do. I would need to requal for 2022 so I would do a 7 nights stay near home in January 2021 for that purpose alone.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Since you are already life time elite, there is no need for the elite qualifying nights unlike many of us do. I would need to requal for 2022 so I would do a 7 nights stay near home in January 2021 for that purpose alone.
I realize that, but 7 nights will get me 10% of the way to my free night certificate at 75 nights.
SPN Lifer, imverge and dsquared37 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Presuming you take the 5 Elite Nights at 50. Otherwise it's slightly less than 10%. Bonv°y!
Old Dec 5, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Anybody sees the expiration dates extended? I still see mine 1/31/2021...
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Anybody sees the expiration dates extended? I still see mine 1/31/2021...
"Effective December 11, 2020"
Boraxo, cruisr, sdsearch and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 4 free nights in my account and 1 of them has been updated from an expiry of Jul 8 to Aug 1. The other 3 expire in Oct/Nov, so am happy they didn't touch those.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
My certs now say 08/01/2021
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None of ours has seen extension - they are primarily 1/31 and 2 in June. None is extended, incl the TP 7 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.