Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Service Trust terminates Marriott management agreement : 122 hotels to leave

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service Trust terminates Marriott management agreement : 122 hotels to leave

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The old RIs with outdoor corridors will also fit into the Sonesta family well as Sonesta has some new extended stay properties that seem to be a bunch of separate two-story buildings with outdoor staircases.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Losing options is not positive, but more competition is probably good in the long run and it looks like there are still MAR options in most of these places.
Right. Looking at the list, the SPC RI's and Courtyards I've stayed at are decidedly middle of the road -- clean, well-kept, but aging. They're replaceable. Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum (California) is emblematic of this -- it's not bad as such, but it's the lesser of the two Courtyards in the Irvine Spectrum area, to say nothing of the other Marriott brands.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 9:33 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by craz
Its NO bluff as the title states, I take it you dont spend any time on The IHG Forum
I do not pay attention to IHG and was clearly unaware of this. By "bluff", I mean it's a negotiation tactic to get money and/or better terms from Marriott with no actual intention of rebranding. That is still possible (IMO likely).

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Rather, this is about using the current economic reality to get out of existing contracts en masse.
Perhaps, but as someone pointed out, they only just signed this agreement in January 2020. My point re: pandemic was that this switch is unlikely to improve their revenue. Sonesta just doesn't have the customer draw that Marriott has. However bad their revenue may be right now, Sonesta won't make it any better.

Last edited by TBD; Sep 25, 2020 at 9:39 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Maybe good (for consumers)

Could end up being beneficial. Maybe brand new CY's and RI's replacing aging properties that were not going to be replaced any time soon? More limited service and extended stay properties competing with Marriott properties?
Old Sep 25, 2020, 2:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TBD
I do not pay attention to IHG and was clearly unaware of this. By "bluff", I mean it's a negotiation tactic to get money and/or better terms from Marriott with no actual intention of rebranding. That is still possible (IMO likely).
Id agree with you if they didnt pull the IHG hotels, but it appears they want to pull all their hotels and make Sonesta their main Home. After all they own I think 38% of Sonesta and probably 0% of IHG or MR or any other chain. Its a gamble but on the other hand they wont be told they Must pour x dollars into the hotels.. m sure they are very well thoughtout on whats best for them profit wise. Wonder how many Hiltons they have and others as well
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Losing more than seventy Courtyards could be a good thing, right?

Can anyone comment on the general quality level of the Service Trust Marriott properties? Would any important locations be lost with no alternative Marriott family hotels nearby?

BTW, are the 22 Hyatts next?
I stay almost enterally in California and the hotels being lost there seem to be mostly average or worse properties in areas with several other Marriotts. I stay a lot in secondary (or even lower) level cities and there's basically nothing I stay at and few of their large city properties are anything special.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nmpls
I stay almost enterally in California and the hotels being lost there seem to be mostly average or worse properties in areas with several other Marriotts.
Yeah, they sound like prime candidates to become a Sonesta. Lol
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
The prior link didn't work for me but here is another one: https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...se-122-hotels/

This is fascinating to me - I had no idea that Marriott guaranteed revenue levels as part of their brand agreements. Seems like a risky move; perhaps foolish in hindsight.
I’m sure Marriott doesn’t offer those terms to every hotel owner, but if you’re placing 100+ hotels under their management you’re bound to have a lot of bargaining power with Marriott.
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by craz
Id agree with you if they didnt pull the IHG hotels, but it appears they want to pull all their hotels and make Sonesta their main Home. After all they own I think 38% of Sonesta and probably 0% of IHG or MR or any other chain. Its a gamble but on the other hand they wont be told they Must pour x dollars into the hotels.. m sure they are very well thoughtout on whats best for them profit wise. Wonder how many Hiltons they have and others as well
No Hilton at all, but 22 Hyatt, 9 Radisson and 20 Wyndham for a total of 329 hotels.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by spgplat21
If Marriott was clearly in default and they were owed all this money, they would almost certainly be suing for the money and not just terminating the agreement. Why would a company give up a guaranteed minimum return in this environment? It's not often that I stick up for Marriott, but if there is a bad guy in the story it seems like its Service Properties Trust. If Marriott was defaulting on payments and attempting to screw over property holders, I imagine we would be hearing about more hotels suing Marriott for defaulting on payments.

I'm sure the agreement had some sort of force majeure clause that Marriott is pointing to as a reason for not making the payments, and Marriott will just let them terminate the agreement rather than argue and sue each other over the provision.

Losing options is not positive, but more competition is probably good in the long run and it looks like there are still MAR options in most of these places.
Consider the time and costs of suing Marriott. There is a choice of remedies, and I can't say that they chose the incorrect remedy. Marriott clearly isn't paying. This is not in dispute. This provides for a relatively quick divorce, with the bulk of any pain suffered during a historically low occupancy era. I would not be surprised if Marriott, fully armed, dragged out litigation for no less than a few years, including appeals, resulting in some eventual net cash to Service Properties Trust, but dragging on its balance sheet and investor disclosures for quite some time.

For those of us poopooing the properties possibly leaving the Marriott fold (good riddance, the properties suck, and so on) just remember a few things.
(1) This is how most of the USA travels - not in top end full service hotels,with 15000 count Egyptian cotton sheets and bath products that make you have a "special event" when opening the little bottle. Most of the USA travels in much more affordable places.
(2) A new (to us) program to compete with the limited choices that still remain is good. Little doubt that we'll have short term promo benefit over this.
(3) We haven't been all that thrilled with how we've been Bonvoyed in relative degrees over the past couple of years. We aren't MARried to this company. It is ok to sleep around.
mikew99 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For those of us poopooing the properties possibly leaving the Marriott fold (good riddance, the properties suck, and so on) just remember a few things.
(1) This is how most of the USA travels - not in top end full service hotels,with 15000 count Egyptian cotton sheets and bath products that make you have a "special event" when opening the little bottle. Most of the USA travels in much more affordable places.
To that same end, most of the US does not stay in Sonestas.
SPN Lifer and Air Houston like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
We aren't MARried to this company. It is ok to sleep around.

David
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
What was the exact quote from Mr Sorenson post-merge debacle?

"Noise around the edges".

Karma.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Articles here and here released within the last hour show that Marriott has defaulted on its 11 million dollar payment to SVC, and the hotels that were threatened to be pulled will now transition to Sonesta. The first nine hotels will rebrand on December 15th, and the remaining 89 will move on January 31st, 2021. The remaining 24 are in the process of being sold by SVC and are not included in the rebranding.

Sonesta has blown up thanks to SVC’s aggressiveness.

khabah
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
98 Marriott-branded hotels to rebrand as Sonesta, selling 24 hotels: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sell-24-hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.