Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What Bonvoy program pays property for point redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Admin please feel free to change or adapt this thread:
Property name:
Point redemption amount:
What Marriott Corp pays property for points:
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Property name: Lido House Newport Beach California
Point redemption amount: 60,000
What Marriott Corp pays property for points: $191.82 (after tax included)
qlaval likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Bonvoy, Enrich
How do you find the redemption payment?
qlaval and anteater like this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

I will not answer this other than to say in my case it does not involve anything illegal or improper like hacking etc.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Don’t the properties get paid different amounts depending on their occupancy?

I’ve had many times that hotels have billed me for points stays. Often I just wished I could pay that amount, and keep my points.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SPG used variable values tied to occupancy level. Hence, your payment value may only be valid for your particular stay. I am not sure about Bonvoy.

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 10, 2020 at 1:19 am
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

So lets add aprox date or month of stay. This information could be very useful to flyertalk members

Originally Posted by TerryK
SPG used variable values tied to occupancy level. Hence, you payment value may only be valid for your particular stay. I am not sure about Bonvoy.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Centurion
So lets add aprox date or month of stay. This information could be very useful to flyertalk members
Useful? It doesn’t matter, really does it? You’re quoted points, and you pay those points for your room. Whether they get paid $25 or $2500 doesn’t matter to you. I find it interesting to know the amount, but it’s really not useful.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by JJuice
How do you find the redemption payment?
I will not answer this
Admin please feel free to change or adapt this thread
Admins would appreciate some guidance on how posters are expected to post their redemption datapoints without knowing how to find them.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Being curious about what the property is paid by MR for my points stay, sure. Useful knowledge, not really. As others have already pointed out, what the hotel is reimbursed by Marriott for my points stay, has no impact on the points cost to me. I am quoted a points cost and a cash cost upfront when I make a reservation. I can choose whichever one works better for me. If desired, I can continue to check the prices, cash and points, after my initial booking up until I check-in. If the prices are lower, I can update my reservation to take advantage of it (prepaid stays aside).

Properties are paid on a sliding scale for points stays by Marriott. Once a certain occupancy threshold is crossed, they are paid a % of their ADR rather than the typical much lower rate. I don't know the exact math nor thresholds for the payments. I have occasionally seen what the hotel is reimbursed when my folio at checkout accidentally shows what Marriott is billed. I am not aware of any way to routinely lookup what the hotel is reimbursed.

--Jon
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i love this thread....

op - lets start a thread to share certain information....

everyone else - how do we get this information????

op - i will not tell you how to get it....but lets share anyway....

TerryK, YUL, SPN Lifer and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
How is this useful? You use the points and its not like you can negotiate with the hotel directly for points redemption...
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
How is this useful? You use the points and its not like you can negotiate with the hotel directly for points redemption...
Perhaps that is the point.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:02 pm

In the old SPG system one could easily find out the answer to the OP’s question. If one initiated a BRG claim against an award booking the system would pull the reservation details (as it always did) and the field “rate on reservation”
would show up populated with the actual rate SPG was paying the hotel, in USD.

I remeber being impressed by how low the rates usually were — something in the order of $40 for a 10k starpoints booking — and also by the fact that (at least in the few times I cared to check) regardless of the hotel, or its brand or location, hotels in the same category were paid exactly the same rate per night.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:11 pm

I can see it being useful for knowing whether a property opens up rooms for award availability or not is correlated to how much they are paid.
But yes, other than the mistake where they bill you for the amount and thus you see how much the award stay costs, I don't know how one would know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.