Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2 months stay in a Marriott in Europe - how do I settle the folio

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

I will be checking into a Marriott in Europe for a 2 months stay. I asked the hotel regarding payment and the reply was you pay the whole 2 months stay at check-in. I was shocked and wrote back and said it's not usual to pay the whole thing upfront. Then I got a reply saying that it's possible to settle partial payment if I have a valid credit card at check-in but without a concrete policy which I found it strange.

What's the normal way to handle this? I have a CC that has credit limit that will cover more than a 6 months stay in this hotel.

TIA!
kyushuman likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Strangest response from a hotel I've ever heard. Maybe a misunderstanding?

You most certainly don't pay in advance at the time of check-in. At least not at a major branded hotel.

If they insist on advance payments and that is a problem for you (I'd probably refuse out of principle) then maybe just pay weekly.
kyushuman and unclepants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The few times I had longer term stays (i.e. months at a time), I worked it out with the hotel to get them to charge me every 2 weeks. That seemed to work well for both the hotel, my company and me. But just as mentioned, I was billed after each 2 weeks, not before them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Strangest response from a hotel I've ever heard. Maybe a misunderstanding?

You most certainly don't pay in advance at the time of check-in. At least not at a major branded hotel.

If they insist on advance payments and that is a problem for you (I'd probably refuse out of principle) then maybe just pay weekly.
There's no misunderstanding - I asked to escalate to the manager but that staff just answered that I can settle with "partial" payment if I have a valid credit card - without telling me how it works.

It's not that I can't pay the whole thing upfront, but it's so weird that I paid the full amount without even seeing the room. I guess I'll write again to see if I can get another staff to reply.
SPN Lifer and skywalkerLAX like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you have a prepaid rate? Was it booked directly through the Bonvoy website? Through an OLTA?

Alternatively, do you have a corporate rate? From what you say, I'm assuming it won't be direct billed or charged to a master bill.

If you negotiated a special contract for an extended stay rate, how/when payment is to be made should have been specified in the contract, as well as whether the stay will earn nights, points, elite benefits, etc.

Otherwise, the norm for stays beyond a couple weeks seems to be that some hotels preauthorize the entire amount plus something for F&B etc. to be charged to your room and actually charge your card at check out while others tend to do preauthorizations and charges to your credit card on a weekly basis, but they sometimes forget and get it messed up.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:15 pm

If you have no experience at the hotel, I would be tempted to break the 60 nights into increments. I would not want to commit to a 60 night stay sight unseen, particularly if there are other viable options. Depending on cancellation policies, I would try for a week or 2 stay followed by the remainder that could be cancelled if the initial stay is unsatisfactory, This also breaks up the payments.

Perhaps this is a done deal or you have no choice, but if the hotel is wanting such a commitment and up front money, I would be leery.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xooz
If you have no experience at the hotel, I would be tempted to break the 60 nights into increments. I would not want to commit to a 60 night stay sight unseen, particularly if there are other viable options. Depending on cancellation policies, I would try for a week or 2 stay followed by the remainder that could be cancelled if the initial stay is unsatisfactory, This also breaks up the payments.

Perhaps this is a done deal or you have no choice, but if the hotel is wanting such a commitment and up front money, I would be leery.
This is the best strategy. Also in the past SPG had a rule that stays beyond 30 days didn't count as elite qualifying and you always needed a 1 day break in between. I believe the Bonvoy program doesn't have this rule but I'd check again.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is the best strategy. Also in the past SPG had a rule that stays beyond 30 days didn't count as elite qualifying and you always needed a 1 day break in between. I believe the Bonvoy program doesn't have this rule but I'd check again.
No such rule on the Marriott side premerger and no such rule now. In fact, the old SPG 30 night rule switched to 90 nights in about 2005, long before the merger, although going one night over meant absolutely no credits or points for any of the preceding nights either.
skywalkerLAX and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That hotel offers an amazing deal that is marginally more expensive than Airbnb - it's a moxy. Yes there are other hotels but they are all offering me rack rates (which is totally insane considering how dead the place is due to corona) and a reduced parking fee. I booked directly with the hotel via email and it's in my Marriott account but there's nothing regarding payment or anything like a deposit either.

This stay is totally out of my pocket, we need somewhere to stay because the kids will start school before our house is built.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two months at a Moxy. Jesus...
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Yes there are other hotels but they are all offering me rack rates (which is totally insane considering how dead the place is due to corona) and a reduced parking fee.
It's actually not insane. Lots of hotels purposely avoid booking guests on long-term stays. Guests who become semi-permanent residents create operational challenges for hotels that are designed for transient use. You presented a perfect example. Something straight-forward like billing can become convoluted.

Other issues include long-term guests receiving mail and packages that result in extra labor costs, constant food deliveries that potentially compromise general security, and the potential that the guest will be noisy/messy/demanding. [I'm not implying that you will create any of those problems, by the way.]

Finally, some transient guests dislike the idea of having residents in a transient hotel. That's why many hotels shy away from long-term stays. None of the hotels I ever worked in wanted that business. We wouldn't say anything if you booked the regular rates. But, we always declined when an individual asked for a long-term stay deal.

Without question, COVID will certainly have some hotels rethinking their approach to long-term stays. But, an experienced General Manager or Director of Operations might weighs the pros and cons and still decide it's not a market segment worth pursuing.
SPN Lifer and joakgarp like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nacho
That hotel offers an amazing deal that is marginally more expensive than Airbnb - it's a moxy. Yes there are other hotels but they are all offering me rack rates (which is totally insane considering how dead the place is due to corona) and a reduced parking fee. I booked directly with the hotel via email and it's in my Marriott account but there's nothing regarding payment or anything like a deposit either.

This stay is totally out of my pocket, we need somewhere to stay because the kids will start school before our house is built.
Is this the place?

Moxy Copenhagen Sydhavnen

David
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Two months at a Moxy. Jesus...
I would not do this. Never!
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Forgive if mentioned above (I skimmed) but are you sure the hotel is not simply referencing some sort of incidentals hold at check in vs full payment?

Also, agree that if you have never stayed at this hotel, why commit to 2 months? You say other hotels are rack rates; does that include shorter stays? If not, maybe four different properties @ two weeks each? Bit of scenery change? Regardless, i wish you well.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Have to agree with the others, if it is the hotel pictured in the prior post, this is not a place I’d care to spend 2 months in alone, let alone with my family in tow. I could stand a segment done here, but I’d reconsider on 2 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.