Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Charged for Policy-Compliant Cancellation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium

I booked a stay at a Residence Inn property, but ultimately decided to stay elsewhere. I cancelled the reservation at about 7pm the day before the stay was to start. Per the confirmation email, I could cancel without penalty until 11:59pm the day before the reservation.

The hotel charged me for a night anyway. Marriott called the property to inquire, and they said the manager charged me, but she wasn’t available to address it and I could call directly later. I have filed a case with Marriott corporate.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Old May 24, 2020, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's poor customer service, but I'm not surprised.

You might need to do a credit card chargeback.
SPN Lifer and nexusCFX like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 3:46 am

Happened to me about a week after the no-cancellation-fee went into effect. I called Marriott and they took the info and gave me the usual "it may take up to 127 years before we get around to your case" but within a couple of days (I only checked my CC charges after a couple ofdays), the charges were reversed.
It might just be their automated system charged me and they had to manually reverse it. They probably don't want to update the software as they will go back to the old policy as soon as they can get away with it without losing customers to Hilton or other chains.
Old May 25, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i can recall 2 occasions where i have been charged before the cancellation deadline....the first was at a sheraton a few years ago & the second was at a fairfield inn last year....both times the charges were reversed once i got in touch with the property....the sheraton refund took about 2 months but the fairfield refund hit my account in 2-3 days....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.