Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Franchisee Consolidating Guests into ONE hotel - Bangkok

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Franchisee Consolidating Guests into ONE hotel - Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by KosraeTV
I am pissed as they are trying to take the moral high ground saying they are doing it for the safety, but in reality it stinks of a solely cost cutting measure and puts us their guests at risk for their bottom line. Shutting five hotels but leaving one open and telling people they can move there without saying oh by they way we own that one too is a classless move by the chain.
They are doing it for their benefit, so I agree with you there, but you have a choice if you don't want to move the Athenee, right? And if I were being given the choice, I'd want to know how crowded the Athenee would be if I was considering their offer to move there, including if they are going to pack everybody on the same floor or not.

You could just move yourself to the SGS, have them send a car for you.

-David
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Or you could just go home..... Tell your employer you’ve lost your safe hotel and it is not safe for you to be at the other hotel due to the inability to walk and journey to work.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
One of the most unbelievable posts of all time, incorrect on the facts, so selfish its tough to believe, and the business decision makes total sense, plus I expect the journey to work will have little impact as traffic is I assume not the normal.

If this is the biggest impact the virus has in the OP, he is a very , very lucky person
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the OP is afraid of the car ride, I'm guessing there are other hotels close to his office.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Or you could just go home..... Tell your employer you’ve lost your safe hotel and it is not safe for you to be at the other hotel due to the inability to walk and journey to work.
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
One of the most unbelievable posts of all time, incorrect on the facts, so selfish its tough to believe, and the business decision makes total sense, plus I expect the journey to work will have little impact as traffic is I assume not the normal.

If this is the biggest impact the virus has in the OP, he is a very , very lucky person
I think everyone is missing the point - the OP cannot go home - there is no air service into Kosrae with the modifications of flights that compose the Island Hopper.

David
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:56 pm

I don't understand the OP's problem here. Their complaint seems analagous to complaining about hotels cutting services / amenities due to earthquake/hurricane/tsunami damage.

Considering countless hotels are closing or already closed around the world (including some which I frequently stay at), while moving rooms and changing hotels would be a hassle, I'm actually impressed that the hotel bothered to find you alternate accomodations at a time like this. So many times we've read of hotels screwing over guests on this forum, leaving them without a place to stay for the night. In this case, the hotel seems to be trying to make things right in very difficult and changing times.

What are you doing for groceries and other necessesities? and for your job, since you said you're working in Bangkok? No doubt you're interacting with far more people at much closer distances, for longer periods in those situations than you would in a hotel.

I have plenty of medical issues myself, BUT wouldn't be afraid to stay in a hotel at this point in time. We need to keep things in perspective. COVID-19 is spread by droplets, not aerosols. You're not likely to get this from the air. Instead, you're going to get it from contaminated surfaces. It doesn't take much to neutralize this thing. Even the regular processes for making potable tap water and maintaining swimming pools inactivates it. Wash your hands with soap and water, often. In a hotel this should be easy to achieve. I'm not a fan of alcohol-based sanitizers, but they're better than nothing.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:02 am

CLOSED

Marriott surawong MARRIOTT
Marriott Marquis MARRIOTT
Okura hotel
Double tree by Hilton sukhumvit
Le meridien Bangkok MARRIOTT

OPEN Plaza Athene MARRIOTT
I would happily move from any of these hotels to Plaza Athene - an upgrade if anything.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you are so concern of your health, then why are you even travelling at this period of time?
Do you even know of current situation in Bangkok ? Malls, restaurants are closed, people are advised to stay home. It's not a lockdown but it's as good as one.
​​​​​​​Consolidating guests to one or two hotels is the logical choice at this moment. Are you going to pay for the hotel operating expenses at current occupancy ?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I applaud the hotel management for doing the right thing. All non-essential businesses and facilities should be shut down so the resources (like electricity and cleaning supplies) can be allocated to the places that really matter (like hospitals).
moondog, KRSW, cfabar1 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
On one hand, I sympathize with OP essentially being 'walked' to a sister hotel, it's never ideal to being forced to change plans. Having stayed in both, I prefer the renovated rooms and lobby of Marquis.

That being said, by moving remaining guests and ceasing operation, that would mean 30+ staff at those 5 hotels can stay safe at home. Plaza Athenee's location is not too bad either. I'd rather have a fully-functioning hotel with staying guests, full-service breakfast than the staff staying to compromise with my needs.

Seems the move could be executed better though, management should have personally came to negotiate and explain the move, perhaps offering a suite etc.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by Beano
If the low occupancy continue many , many ,many hotels will close down .
The hotels are a business and no one goes into business to lose money.
I suspect a hotel needs a 75% occupancy to break even .
Any occupancy below break even risk closing
The Quest hotel group is offering 11,000 rooms for quarantine purposes .
Perhaps this the best business model for hotels with low occupancy
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...28-p54etu.html
Singapore is doing the same, Conrad, Intercontinental, Pan Pacific, etc are designated 14 days quarantine hotel now.
So win-win solution, hotel get a confirmed occupancy (albeit on negotiated rates) and the government have places to put people that coming back from overseas
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Marriott Sukhumvit 57 is still open and has a "Free Stay" rate for Bonvoy members that gives the entire rate back in F&B credit (code M12) - 2,450 THB++ per day and 2,900 THB credit. Already used it twice this week, they basically pay you to stay.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Marriott Sukhumvit 57 is still open and has a "Free Stay" rate for Bonvoy members that gives the entire rate back in F&B credit (code M12) - 2,450 THB++ per day and 2,900 THB credit. Already used it twice this week, they basically pay you to stay.
Wow. Just wow! Maybe we should start a Bonvoy thread where, instead of hotels closing, should highlight hotels with exceptional deals like this - to encourage people to do staycations at least, thus helping Marriott staff keep their jobs.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:31 am

SkyWalker That is really impressive. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, the bloggers don't spoil it. (Notice that I'm not quoting your post.)
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

This hotel was right where i had to do my work, and by moving across town i'll have to travel every day a lot farther then I would have. Not like we're sitting by the pool drinking margraita's.
I understand the frustration of them playing the health card, they could have just been straight with you and told you what you already know but I am struggling to understand why this is such a big deal.

You are not being moved across town. You are being moved less than 3km, 3 BTS stops from your original hotel. Whilst traffic still seems pretty normal during the day, it would not take that long to get a taxi if you were not happy using the BTS in the current circumstances, you can even walk between these hotels in around 30 minutes, but obviously not ideal in the heat.

The only downside I see to this is you cannot just pop to Benchasiri in the evening for a run, but given your concerns about being near other people you probably wouldn't be frequenting the park anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.