Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott to furlough tens of thousands of workers as COVID-19 batters hotel industry

Marriott to furlough tens of thousands of workers as COVID-19 batters hotel industry

Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/5068070002/

Guess it was expected...

Marriott International is poised to place tens of thousands of employees on furlough as the hotel giant reels from the coronavirus outbreak, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
expected and we'll see more of this, unfortunately
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
And yet, I'm not seeing any kind of price cuts to attract people to their hotels. Still charging destination/resort fees, still charging $70+ dollars per day for parking.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
expected and we'll see more of this, unfortunately
Across many different businesses and industries...

Regards
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by seat38a
And yet, I'm not seeing any kind of price cuts to attract people to their hotels. Still charging destination/resort fees, still charging $70+ dollars per day for parking.
Most rational people won't travel, even for free right now. Even if everything is "clean and safe" and you take the best of precautions, there's nothing to do when you get to where you're going, other than order food from an app, and take an isolated walk.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
You can't even plan anything for the foreseeable future at the moment with any certainty that lodging will be open and that the flight options won't disappear. Better just to stay home.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
As someone who lives in hotels, I was initially surprised by that too, but on reflection, I think it is profit maximizing for hotels to not lower rates. You're not going to materially stimulate demand in this environment, so you're really only going to get people who need to travel regardless of cost. Might as well charge a lot (provided other properties continue to do that too).
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Most rational people won't travel, even for free right now. Even if everything is "clean and safe" and you take the best of precautions, there's nothing to do when you get to where you're going, other than order food from an app, and take an isolated walk.
No thanks. I have no idea if the person preparing the food is infected but not having any symptoms, nor do I know if delivery driver is sick. Their have been enough reports of delivery drivers sneaking part of your meal if they get hungry. I am cooking everything now.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
Why should they? Marriott could give away hotel rooms for free right now and still have a hard time filling them, but they'd still have to pay their staff.

I feel bad for all the people that are about to lose their income, but Marriott is making a smart business decision, and if the quarantines and flight restrictions continue for longer than anticipated I suspect we'll see other hoteliers follow suit.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
So, they are furloughing the hourly and some salary workers at the properties they manage. To my knowledge, they are an asset light company now, so they do not own the Hotels.
Does this mean that those employees are only from the properties that the owners gave them via management contracts?
Now imagine all other properties they brand but do not manage. Those are not coutned here
How about laying off some people at corporate too?

This virus is just crushing the tourism industry ...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
No thanks. I have no idea if the person preparing the food is infected but not having any symptoms, nor do I know if delivery driver is sick. Their have been enough reports of delivery drivers sneaking part of your meal if they get hungry. I am cooking everything now.
My point is that if you are staying in a hotel, at any price, or no price at all, there aren't many options for food right now.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:43 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Is this an observation or a criticism?

As others noted this isn't an econ101 moment where dropping price will stimulate demand? Vacancy at hotels/restaurants/airplanes are likely high for those that can be opened. No amount of price reduction will stimulate demand, actually with low demand, any business they get is likely NOT price sensitive and the rational thing for the business to do is hike prices to maximize revenue for their fixed cost.

Last edited by chipmaster; Mar 17, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I cancelled all of my upcoming trips that I booked in early January. I was going to wait and see but restaurants closing or going takeout only was the line to click the cancel buttons. I went through to see what the current going rates were with all of the current situation and saw that room rates, destination fees and high daily parking fees haven't budged.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
my guess is that these wont budge for a while ... until the significant lowered demand gets translated through thee economy ... and for some companies they will go straight to default others may accommodate the lower demand with lower prices....
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:19 pm

Shame on Marriott for how they treat their loyalty members and their employees. I stayed a "free" night at a hotel in LA a few weeks ago and walked out with a $90 bill ($45 for parking and $45 for a 'resort' fee). I was there for 10 hours to sleep and go out to an evening event.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.