Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How To Bring Ritz-Carlton Caliber Customer Service To Any Type Of Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How To Bring Ritz-Carlton Caliber Customer Service To Any Type Of Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I don't understand how some (mostly younger) people consider W's to be a luxury experience
As a younger person - me neither. The brand attracts a self-perpetuating party crowd and I tend to avoid it at all costs.

Kind of similar with JW's to be honest, although a couple I've stayed at are very nice. I do like the LC's and Editions which I think both fall into a "luxury" category.
I consider JW, and Conrad for that matter, to be luxury business hotels in most markets. Significantly upmarket of your standard full-service hotel, but their core customer is still generally a business traveler (with the exception of the resort properties really). LC is interesting - on one hand there isn't really a defined brand standard, but on the other hand that same fact means that each property really has to stand on its own virtues rather than riding the coattails of a brand name as some of us see RCs doing. They get a ton of exposure and feed from being part of the MR network of course, but no customer is going to jump and say "I'm staying there, it's an LC!" the way that some do with RC or W for example.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I think this is a really interesting example. To some people, this type of attention might be superior service. But there's a whole other demographic, in which I'm included, that believes luxury is being left alone not followed around and having strangers small-talk with me and call me sir. Great service is when people either learn or anticipate what I like or want and deliver on it without all the extra interactions.
Bold : Agree completely.

This is perhaps a bad example, because it's a totally different experience, but at one of the large Riviera Maya all-inclusives I stayed at for a wedding, we had the same waiter at the pool several days in a row. After the first day, he saw us sit down and came over and asked us if we wanted the same drinks as the day before (can't remember now what they were but he named them). Another time, he came to the pool while we were in it and asked if we'd like some fresh drinks delivered to us in the pool. I don't remember him once calling me "sir" or asking me how my day was, or making any other small talk.
I dont see the example as bad. In fact I really think that kind of service is indeed a great service.
Many hotels claim they provide personalised service yet showering guests with meaningless fluffs.

4 of my favorite hotels are : Raffles Singapore, St Regis Bali, Suiran Kyoto, and Al Maha Dubai.
The similarity among these hotels are the ability of their staff to recognise my needs and/or anticipate my needs.

Simple act of remembering guests preference from previous day is already great, to be able to remember guests preference from previous stays is amazing.
And that is what the staff at these 4 hotels did.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by arlflyer
As a younger person - me neither. The brand attracts a self-perpetuating party crowd and I tend to avoid it at all costs.

I consider JW, and Conrad for that matter, to be luxury business hotels in most markets. Significantly upmarket of your standard full-service hotel, but their core customer is still generally a business traveler (with the exception of the resort properties really). LC is interesting - on one hand there isn't really a defined brand standard, but on the other hand that same fact means that each property really has to stand on its own virtues rather than riding the coattails of a brand name as some of us see RCs doing. They get a ton of exposure and feed from being part of the MR network of course, but no customer is going to jump and say "I'm staying there, it's an LC!" the way that some do with RC or W for example.
For me W is a nightclubs that happen to rent out rooms.

And for The Luxury Collections Hotel, somehow I find LC does lack of brand standard but it makes them unique and the staff seems to have more freedom in term of how they provide the service.
And also I find that LC hotels provide consistently very good service for me.
Cant really say about St Regis and RC as my experience with them is vary too greatly between hotels within these brands.

I believe if there StR, LC, and RC hotels in my destination, I wouldn't hesitate to choose LC.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kaizen7
The similarity among these hotels are the ability of their staff to recognise my needs and/or anticipate my needs.
Another thing I really appreciate is when management pays attention to what's going on and follows up to make sure the guest is satisfied.

At Langham NYC recently, I rejected the first room assignment because it was adjacent to the elevator. After settling into my new room, I received a call from a manager who wanted to confirm I was satisfied with the new room. Similarly, my most recent stay at SGS, there was a problem with the internet sign-on which took several calls to resolve. Shortly afterwards, I received a cute chocolate "wrench" and a note from a front desk manager apologizing for the problem and thanking me for my patience.
JBord likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I dont see the example as bad. In fact I really think that kind of service is indeed a great service.
Many hotels claim they provide personalised service yet showering guests with meaningless fluffs.
Yeah, just meant that the Mexican all-inclusives are a completely different experience, intentionally, from true luxury hotels. If I thought it was a totally terrible example, I wouldn't have posted it .

Simple act of remembering guests preference from previous day is already great, to be able to remember guests preference from previous stays is amazing.
First, I agree it's amazing when they remember your previous stay preferences, that happens rarely to me. Even one Marriott property (which I actually like), that I stay at about 6-7 times per year usually doesn't even say "welcome back" at check in. Doesn't bother me, but I do find it interesting.

Second, it's probably a sign of a good CRM system, but more importantly, good discipline around using that system both for input and reference. I suspect most Marriott hotels have some type of CRM, even at the property level (besides the corporate system which houses preferences, etc.). But I also suspect most aren't using them in a way that helps them provide exceptional customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.