Points conversion rate

Old Feb 19, 20, 10:28 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Points conversion rate

What is the conversion rate from pounds to dollars for working out dollars spent for a stay please ?
Dekmac is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 1:34 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,908
Each hotel makes up its own FX rate. You also need to strip out VAT, etc. from the all-in room rate quoted in the UK.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 2:39 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Each hotel makes up its own FX rate. You also need to strip out VAT, etc. from the all-in room rate quoted in the UK.
surely it should be a standard rate for every hotel ?
Dekmac is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 4:59 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Coast, California
Programs: Marriott: Titanium, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Posts: 174
Originally Posted by Dekmac View Post
surely it should be a standard rate for every hotel ?
Oops..

Last edited by kalo93406; Feb 19, 20 at 6:07 pm
kalo93406 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 5:49 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,824
UPDATED TO CORRECT VAT RATE

Originally Posted by Dekmac View Post
Points conversion rate

What is the conversion rate from pounds to dollars for working out dollars spent for a stay please ?
Dekmac,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to calculate how many Marriott Bonvoy points (which are based on USD) you should get for a hotel stay in the UK paid with GBP.

So far this year, the £1.00 GBP has hovered around $1.30 USD. Sometimes higher. Sometimes lower. But a multiplier of 1.3 is a good rule of thumb these days.

There are no Marriott Bonvoy points on the VAT (Value Added Tax), which is 20%.

Let's suppose you booked a hotel room that's 240 GBP per night. The actual room is £200 GBP, which is an eligible charge. The VAT is £40 GPB which is not an eligible charge.

£200 GPB x 1.3 = $260 USD, so your points are based on $260 USD.

You get 10 points per $1 USD spent at most Marriott Bonvoy brands. You get 5 points per $1 USD spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites. For this exercise, we're assuming it's the former.

$260 USD x 10 = 2600 points. The actual number of points may be somewhat higher or lower, depending on the exchange rate. If you get significntly fewer points, then it's worth pursuing.

You also get points on other eligible charges, such as meals at the hotel restaurant (in most cases). The same formula applies.

If you're eligible for a Gold or Platinum welcome gift, and you choose points, there's no multiplication factor on those points — because they're already points.
nequine likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Feb 19, 20 at 7:03 pm
Horace is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 6:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: Accor Platinum, SPG Platinum
Posts: 918
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Dekmac,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to calculate how many Marriott Bonvoy points (which are based on USD) you should get for a hotel stay in the UK paid with GBP.

So far this year, the £1.00 GBP has hovered around $1.30 USD. Sometimes higher. Sometimes lower. But a multiplier of 1.3 is a good rule of thumb these days.

There are no Marriott Bonvoy points on the VAT (Value Added Tax), which is 17.5%.

Let's suppose you booked a hotel room that's 235 GBP per night. The actual room is £200 GBP, which is an eligible charge. The VAT is £35 GPB which is not an eligible charge.

£200 GPB x 1.3 = $260 USD, so your points are based on $260 USD.

You get 10 points per $1 USD spent at most Marriott Bonvoy brands. You get 5 points per $1 USD spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites. For this exercise, we're assuming it's the former.

$260 USD x 10 = 2600 points. The actual number of points may be somewhat higher or lower, depending on the exchange rate. If you get significntly fewer points, then it's worth pursuing.

You also get points on other eligible charges, such as meals at the hotel restaurant (in most cases). The same formula applies.

If you're eligible for a Gold or Platinum welcome gift, and you choose points, there's no multiplication factor on those points ó because they're already points.
VAT has been 20% in the UK since 4th Jan 2011. It was 17.5% before that.

Makes it easier to calculate 😄

Well, not really! I use this calculator: https://www.tonicfusion.com/vat-calculator

Itís actually good for working out BRG NET rates in any country as you can change the VAT rate (or points as in this case).
yorkboy24 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:02 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,824
Originally Posted by yorkboy24 View Post
VAT has been 20% in the UK since 4th Jan 2011. It was 17.5% before that.

Makes it easier to calculate 😄

Well, not really! I use this calculator: https://www.tonicfusion.com/vat-calculator

Itís actually good for working out BRG NET rates in any country as you can change the VAT rate (or points as in this case).
Thank you for catering my obsolete VAT rate. I'll update my post.
yorkboy24 likes this.
Horace is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:56 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 28,208
Originally Posted by Dekmac View Post
surely it should be a standard rate for every hotel ?
Exchange rates change every minute of the day. It's varied been between 1.291 and 1.293 in the last four hours. There should be no expectation that every hotel in the country on every day has the same exchange rate.
CPRich is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 11:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 711
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Exchange rates change every minute of the day. It's varied been between 1.291 and 1.293 in the last four hours. There should be no expectation that every hotel in the country on every day has the same exchange rate.
However as the conversion is made by marriott for the purpose of awarding points, and not for processing payments, it is a single exchange rate per currency pair worldwide. Itís the same rate they use for their siteís currency converter which is provided by bloomberg.
MePlatPremier is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:23 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,908
This thread has a few attempts at explaining how it should work. Marriott's IT doesn't agree with any of them...

Hotel A in London last week gave me a vastly different number of base points per £ than Hotel B from the next night. Weekend... so no changes in FX.

By all means do the maths to see whether you are getting completely screwed. But otherwise just accept that the points you earn will not reflect current FX rates and you will come out ahead a fair amount of the time...
craigthemif is offline  
Old Feb 20, 20, 1:26 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks Guys , i wasnt aware that VAT had to be taken off , kinda makes sense now according to my calculations , but they do still miss of bonuses now and again
Dekmac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: