Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sketchy Accounting on Points Advance. Any advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador

I’m not sure this deserves it’s own thread, so please combine if necessary, I’ve read about a number of issues of people having points disappear on them with cancellations, and I have some major issues my ambassador is unable to help with. As an example, I booked 2 five night stays at the W Hotel Punta Mita in Mexico. For both of these I was deducted 240,000 points. I canceled them both last night, but points only refunded for one of those rooms. When I called the Ambassador to get the other points but back, her response is oh that was a points advance reservation. But I know it wasn’t because I have over 1 million points, and both were deducted from my account at the same time. But when I pull up my account on the app, I can no longer see that history because they were cancelled.

this happened with another booking of mine, where I am missing points for a cancellation and the only thing my ambassador says is I’m not due any points because it was points advance. But I know points were taken out. Yet the history is erased with the cancellation.

it’s like their system swallows things up. I thought my Ambassador would help me here, but i appear to be out a couple hundred thousand points. Any advice is appreciated.

I spent $40k last year with Marriott so I’m not trying to be cheap or game the system.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: Yes
Call back in to the Ambassador Service, ask for a supervisor, and calmly explain the situation.

YMMV. Things like this still occur, but shouldn’t.

Last edited by anteater; Jan 22, 2020 at 11:12 am
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I had the same issue with the same hotel last night. I called the Titanium line, they had to detach the points cert from the canceled reservation and have them put back into my account.
Lifetimenotelite likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
OP: If you have the confirmation email from when the points were deducted, the email will have a section that shows a certificate was ordered. Something like "Marriott Bonvoy Certificate Number: XXXX0701". Send an email to the social media team and attach that confirmation if you have it, as it will allow them to locate the certificate and return it back as points.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Exactly what nexusCFX says. If it was a points booking, you will have received a confirmation email and it will show the number of points deducted. If it’s a Points Advance booking, no confirmation is sent out. (You have to take your own screenshots.)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by JBauer
I’m not sure this deserves it’s own thread, so please combine if necessary, I’ve read about a number of issues of people having points disappear on them with cancellations, and I have some major issues my ambassador is unable to help with. As an example, I booked 2 five night stays at the W Hotel Punta Mita in Mexico. For both of these I was deducted 240,000 points. I canceled them both last night, but points only refunded for one of those rooms. When I called the Ambassador to get the other points but back, her response is oh that was a points advance reservation. But I know it wasn’t because I have over 1 million points, and both were deducted from my account at the same time. But when I pull up my account on the app, I can no longer see that history because they were cancelled.

this happened with another booking of mine, where I am missing points for a cancellation and the only thing my ambassador says is I’m not due any points because it was points advance. But I know points were taken out. Yet the history is erased with the cancellation.

it’s like their system swallows things up. I thought my Ambassador would help me here, but i appear to be out a couple hundred thousand points. Any advice is appreciated.

I spent $40k last year with Marriott so I’m not trying to be cheap or game the system.
I thought point advance reservations were only made when the member does not have the required number of points in the account.
If you had over 1 million points these would have been point reservations.

If my understanding is correct I can't see where your ambassador can say 1 was a points advance reservation.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Exactly. I had plenty of points. It’s been a week and my ambasador is “looking into it” but I can tell by her tone she knows something is amiss but doesn’t want to admit it.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These days whenever I made a point booking I take a screen shot of the screen that said "This reservation has e-Cert".

That sentence only appears on the reservation details but not on the confirmation email. However on the confirmation email there indeed has the amount of points deducted AND the balance of your account after this reservation.

The non-refund of points as Mr.Vker said, somehow the cert is not released from the side of the hotel - it is not the hotel's fault but the error of Marriott IT - that error has showed up many times last year but it supposedly is fixed. Apparently it still pops up in random. I know you guys like to call your Ambassador whenever things go wrong - but little do you know / realize that the Ambassadors no longer behave the same as they once were when under SPG... These days I believe the Lurkers on FT would give you better help should things go wrong. I would PM the Lurker the issue, and they most likely come back to ask you the reservation details incl the cancellation confirmation number. Then they pass the info to whichever dept to take a look, then to fix it.
JBauer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
That sentence only appears on the reservation details but not on the confirmation email. However on the confirmation email there indeed has the amount of points deducted AND the balance of your account after this reservation.
The confirmation email has the last 4 digits of the associated certificate.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the Ambassadors no longer behave the same as they once were when under SPG... These days I believe the Lurkers on FT would give you better help should things go wrong.
unfortunately this is true since the merger....i've had to reach out to the lurkers a number of times over the last 2-3 years when my ambassador has been unable to resolve an issue....
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The confirmation email has the last 4 digits of the associated certificate.
Can you tell me where to look for this info?

I am looking at a confirmation from SOTP in Sydney. all I see is the confirmation number. Where is the cert number located?

Also thanks to this conversation I just realized I have never received an email confirmation from a reservation made at Renaissance St. Petersburg on the 25th Jan!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Scroll down to where it shows the points redeemed

40,000 Points Redeemed 312,824 Points Balance

Summary of Points
Standard Redemption Rate
40,000 Points
Marriott Bonvoy Certificate Number: XXXX4169

Total Points Redeemed 40,000
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Can you tell me where to look for this info?

I am looking at a confirmation from SOTP in Sydney. all I see is the confirmation number. Where is the cert number located?

Also thanks to this conversation I just realized I have never received an email confirmation from a reservation made at Renaissance St. Petersburg on the 25th Jan!
At the bottom of the confirmation email, after all the useless advertising. It’s under Summary of Points, just before Summary of Charges.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
At the bottom of the confirmation email, after all the useless advertising. It’s under Summary of Points, just before Summary of Charges.
Got it. Indeed it is below all the junks. Thanks for pointing that out.

Now I have to call and request the reservation confirmation email for the Ren at St. Petersburg Russia to be sent - booked on Saturday against my rules not to do stuff on weekends...

In the recent past when that happened, the resent is just the same type we can send to ourselves from the site, i.e. a note-type email without all the details as the regular confirmation email, notably missing the account balance after the redemption. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.