Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Question how Marriott treats status members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Hello...First I am not unhappy with Hilton but it never hurts to explore.

I am a Diamond member with Hilton. I really have not seen much benefit being a diamond member. Only one hotel had an excutive lounge to speak of. Have yet to get room upgrade. I got one when I was a Silver member.

Those who are Marriott Elite member do you feel that Marriott appreciates your business? I started a new job in June have 80 nights this year. so I guess that would put me in the Titanium Elite level.

I guess if I have to be on the road every week I would like to feel appreciated for my business. I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.

Thanks Merry Christmas
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:33 pm

Lots of folks do not like the new Bonvoy program. For me, I'm an Ambassador Elite and like the status and Marriott hotel choices and process just fine. No value in the actual Ambassador but the elite program and the way I'm treated at properties is very nice. I was Hilton Gold for a few years and never noticed any treatment for Hilton Gold status. Not sure what I should have expected but never got much.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
If you can meet a $20k spend target and achieve Bonvoy Ambassador status you might get treatment closer to what you’re seeking. Otherwise you likely won’t notice much difference. I would say Titanium is a bit better than Hilton Diamond, but not much better.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I get consistent upgrades as a Plat with Marriott. You can be a Diamond for paying a few hundred dollars of annual fee on a credit card.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by KevTN

I am a Diamond member with Hilton. I really have not seen much benefit being a diamond member. Only one hotel had an excutive lounge to speak of. Have yet to get room upgrade. I got one when I was a Silver member.

Those who are Marriott Elite member do you feel that Marriott appreciates your business? I started a new job in June have 80 nights this year. so I guess that would put me in the Titanium Elite level.

I guess if I have to be on the road every week I would like to feel appreciated for my business. I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.

Thanks Merry Christmas
Depends on where you’re travelling to. In NA, keep your expectations in check. In Asia and Europe, recognition can range from good to outstanding.
Will08, Dav77 and JJuice like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I travel mostly domestic previously, and in all honesty, the 40-50 something nights in courtyards/fairfieldinns/fourpoints/aloft with some sheratons and marriotts in between, it's all a run in the mill. There is nothing really special in terms of treatment apart from the occasional upgrade to corner rooms and mediocre lounge offerings. This year my travel took me more international places, and when I consistently get a combination of points+breakfast+lounge+restaurant discounts (for Plat and above) and generous upgrades thrown at me in Asia, I guess that's where the program shines. As a 80+ nights Titanium elite, I'm just like every other Tom, Dick or Harry in the US, but abroad, I feel like a valued member when each time I check in, a GM or management makes an effort to actually greet and welcome me.
Jiatong and KevTN like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks...I would be traveling in NA. I appreciate everyones input. It would be nice every once in a while to get something other than two bottle of water LOL
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP

Thanks Merry Christmas
I think it very much depends on which Elite status you get. Silver, Gold, Plat, Titanium or Ambassador. I don't know what your diamond membership at Hilton translates to in Bonvoy status. If you are gold elite then you get to request a room upgrade but whether they give it to you or not, is totally decided by the hotel. It is better in Asia and Europe than here in NA. Gold elite does not get you into the lounge anymore so you would have to have Plat status with Marriott which requires 50 night stays. If your diamond would translate to Platinum elite, then you have access to lounges and better chance of an upgrade.
KevTN likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Thanks...I would be traveling in NA. I appreciate everyones input. It would be nice every once in a while to get something other than two bottle of water LOL
I have been Diamond at Hilton for about 8 years and Plat/Titanium at Marriott for about 10. For me, there isn’t much of a difference in the programs overall. The individual properties within each brand are where service levels are differentiated. If you have a few “regular” properties where you often stay, and strike up a positive relationship with the staff, you’re likely to get that upgrade or special perk. If you are expecting a superior level of treatment at one brand or another, that’s hard to find.
Admiral Ackbar and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Sleasure...I am always in a different part of the country from week to week. I think I have stayed at one hotel twice in 6 mos. lol. Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
The main thing Marriott has over Hilton is better hotel availability in BFE and 4PM guaranteed checkout (with fairly a limited number of hotels where it isn't guaranteed).
For the way I travel, which involves a lot of smaller cities and towns due to my work as well as the ability to change and what not before my flight, Marriott works better for me. Also, even with the peak changes, I think marriott is better for redemption.
I don't think I feel any more appreciated than a similar status member of any other major hotel change. It all depends on what you value.
I do suspect that Marriott has some advantages as you can't really get Titanium status with any credit card, while you can get Hilton Gold with an amex plat and Hilton Diamond with the Aspire Card.
KevTN likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I travel for work. I rarely stay in the same hotel enough to be considered a “regular.” I have Ambassador status. I frequently get upgraded in full service hotels but not always to a suite.

My ambassador provides wonderful service and has gotten me nice upgrades and special treatment when I request it for personal stays.

Marriott’s footprint works for my work related travel. Almost al of my work travel is in the US, Mexico and Canada. I mostly use my points for visiting family in the US.
KevTN likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Depends on where you’re travelling to. In NA, keep your expectations in check. In Asia and Europe, recognition can range from good to outstanding.
This is exactly my experience. With the exception of a handful of properties, my status seems to hardly impact my experience at all in the US (and I don’t stay in cheap places). In Europe and Asia, I’m generally treated like royalty (with the exception of Delhi, where my experience is a lot more like in the US).
KevTN likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A big difference is the Starriott/Bonvoy guaranteed 4 pm checkout (with some exceptions) versus being a request based on availability for perhaps 1 pm at a Hilton. To me late checkout is very valuable, mostly when I know in advance that I will have it versus having to call the front desk early in the morning of my day of departure to ask/beg and if denied to make alternate arrangements to pack up and check out, store luggage, and shower/change clothes before leaving.
yurtripper and KevTN like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:17 pm

I was diamond one year and titanium two years (soon to be 3). I'd say titanium is better for benefits (UA silver is great for me) while Hilton is better at earning hotel points. I don't use hotel points on hotels so Marriott was a no brainer.
KevTN likes this.

Last edited by omghaxcode; Dec 16, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.