Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The valet guy at my hotel gave my rental to someone else!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The valet guy at my hotel gave my rental to someone else!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For all we know, the valet could have given the car to his/her girlfriend.
come on. it's clearly another guest.

ADDED: What if the car had been involved in a hit and run before being returned? How do you prove that you weren't driving if you haven't reported the car to the police as missing?
really? You already have witnesses from the hotel and valet. There is no reason to think they're going to lie in this situation.

with this level of paranoia it seems you should be constantly filing police reports every time you interact with another person just in case something happens.
Newman and cre95 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by benblaney
I'm sure they do, but it's a giant PITA. And Hertz don't care who I have the recover the money from, they're just going to say "you rented a car and we didn't get it back, you owe us for a new car". Of course, in practice, I then have my own personal insurance and whatever legal protection I get with my credit card, and I subsequently recover from the hotel who subsequently recover from their subcontracted parking operator....but my point remains: Hertz come after me first.
This is the key.

There is a vast difference between indemnification and the likelihood that subrogation means that someone's carrier will step in to represent you, but there is no guarantee that this will happen immediately or that it will happen without significant investment of time & effort on your part.

Everyone needs their own coverage which comprehensively covers liability, provides a defense and has a practice of simply taking over the matter so that you are out of the middle.

If you don't, the fact that you may come out of this OK does not mean that it will not be painful. As others have noted, in the first instance, Hertz sees OP as owing either the vehicle or the cash it represents.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:49 am

But she's an idiot who can't keep a claim ticket, has no situational awareness, and is completely selfish.
I think you're being a bit too tough.

Lots of people lose their claim tickets - it's not absurd that someone may misplace a piece of paper, especially when they're frazzled and just checking in to a hotel. As for the car - there are many people who don't know cars well, and might assume a similar SUV is theirs.

I have mixed feelings on the selfish comment. On one hand, it's ...... that she kept your car for so long, but from her POV - it's the hotel's mistake. Why should she have to adjust her plans because of their mess up?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by guv1976
We don't yet know where this took place, but at least in New York, anyone with a right of possession superior to that of the taker can be the victim of a theft. It is even possible to steal property from a thief who previously stole the property from someone else!

Article 155 | Larceny | New York State Penal Law | NYS Laws

The problem in this case is that it might well be difficult to prove that the woman who drove off with the car had any intent to steal, especially if she had in fact rented a similar-looking vehicle herself. Taking someone else's property in the honest but mistaken belief that it is yours is very different than theft.
You are correct as far as a successful prosecution. The issue of filing a police report or even an arrest is different, as there only requires a reasonable suspicion. However, the police may not want to bother filing a report or even set up procedures to discourage this. I had police witness the crime of trespass by someone homeless, but set up a procedure that exceeds the requirement of the law, but requiring signage and forms be filed prior to making arrests for trespass.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pfthrowaway21315
I think you're being a bit too tough.

Lots of people lose their claim tickets - it's not absurd that someone may misplace a piece of paper, especially when they're frazzled and just checking in to a hotel. As for the car - there are many people who don't know cars well, and might assume a similar SUV is theirs.

I have mixed feelings on the selfish comment. On one hand, it's ...... that she kept your car for so long, but from her POV - it's the hotel's mistake. Why should she have to adjust her plans because of their mess up?
Perhaps harsh. I would maintain that keeping hold of a claim ticket isn't that hard.

The reason she should adjust her plans is that SHE lost her claim ticket, SHE got in and drove away in the wrong car, SHE did realize - but she didn't consider how it negatively impacted me (or she did, and she didn't care). It's not all on the valet guy; she's partially culpable. She should have some empathy for me.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oilbarrierbill
I had a valet give my car away at the Montage in Laguna Beach three years ago. I had rented a Tesla Model S for a week from Hertz and stopped in for dinner and valet parked. They backed my car in at the entryway and when I came out to get it they took my ticket and disappeared for awhile but reappeared with a Tesla same color but different interior. I told him that was not my car and he went back to the garage. Ten minutes later the manager came to let us know they had given my car to another person that had been drinking and obviously intoxicated since his car had a tan interior and mine was black and all the settings on the computer were mine. It took over two hours to get my car back since they contacted him through the his phone number in his car. When he returned he was laughing and thought it was hilarious that this happened my feelings were disgust. I think this happens a lot more than people think.
Once the driver was informed and didn't return (or leave) the vehicle, that becomes joyriding (See California Vehicle Code
10851). It is also is the tort of conversion.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by spamkiller
Once the driver was informed and didn't return (or leave) the vehicle, that becomes joyriding (See California Vehicle Code
10851). It is also is the tort of conversion.
Something along these lines is the case in most states. But, this is also stuff which gets sorted out later. Reporting the incident to the police does not mean that someone has committed a crime, only that there is the possibility of a crime to be investigated.

Had OP's situation turned out to be a theft, there is a strong likelihood that pretty much every insurer involved would have declined coverage as to OP because he failed to take reasonable measures to mitigate the situation.

Even more true if the vehicle is involved in an accident, others are injured and come back after OP (among many others).

If you want to avoid coverage battles, pick up the phone.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bbbb
Would not cover an unauthorized driver.
But it would cover theft -- which, by definition, involves an unauthorized driver.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Lehava
With a valet involved the seat being different (and possibly the climate and water bottle) wouldn't be a sign at all. You'd expect things to be different as someone other than you just drove it. I've had valets change seat, climate, radio regularly.
Agreed.

I don't think I've ever gotten in my car after a valet drove it and had the seat where I left it.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:28 pm
J S

So, I have actually seen this happen...twice! And I would give the benefit of the doubt. I have rented a lot of cars and often cannot remember exactly what kind of car I have rented.

First time, I was in Colorado skiing. I had rented an SUV (of some sort). I was walking back to the hotel and needed my car, so I called ahead. As I walk up to the front door, I see my car pulling out with a family inside. I ran to the car and knocked on the window. The driver insisted it was his rental car until I pointed out that my cell charger was in the console. At that minute, the valet was pulling up to the door with another SUV belonging to the erstwhile car thief. The guy called for his car, saw a rental car that was vaguely the same size and shape, tipped the valet and got in. Had I not knocked on the window, he would have likely spent the whole day out and not realized the mistake until he returned to the hotel.

Second time, the "perpetrator" was my grandfather who called for his rental car at a very nice hotel, came downstairs, got in his car--except it wasn't his--and drove away. He did not discover the mistake until he got back to the hotel several hours later.

Should you be angry at the valet? Absolutely! Should you be angry at the person who took your car? Not unless you can prove something more nefarious.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

The underlying issue is at absolute best and presuming the honesty of the other driver, a total fail by the valet company. People lose their tickets all the time. But, decent places then require ID and match to a room number and sometimes call for the last 4 digits of the CC used at the property. My guess is that the valet company had such procedures but that they were not followed.

But, that has nothing to do with what to do if it happens to you.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:25 pm

I am sure there’s a lady somewhere in NA that is ready to jump onto FT to start a thread about this property’s valet service that handed her the wrong car, put her in harm’s way driving around without insurance coverage in the event she had an accident and in the imminence of being arrested for vehicular grand larceny and inquiring how much compensation she should expect from the hotel.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair, the Zachary staff were fabulous, all of them. The parking sub-contractor...total garbage, obviously.

Property waived the parking charges (!) and comped one room night...which isn't really of any benefit to me, as the net effect is simply to save my employer $300.

I agree: I think the idiot who took my car had rented a similar dark-colored Chevrolet SUV. You'd have thought she'd notice the seat was set differently, and the climate controls were different, and that I'd left a bottle of water in the cup holder...but whatever. I'm certain: honest mistake no nefarious intent. But she's an idiot who can't keep a claim ticket, has no situational awareness, and is completely selfish.
Should have asked for a tank of gas.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:06 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I am sure there’s a lady somewhere in NA that is ready to jump onto FT to start a thread about this property’s valet service that handed her the wrong car, put her in harm’s way driving around without insurance coverage in the event she had an accident and in the imminence of being arrested for vehicular grand larceny and inquiring how much compensation she should expect from the hotel.
This.

It's a shame she lost the ticket, but most folks don't remember what their rental looks like, and once you are gone for the day you are gone for the day.

Blame Pie:

Valet: 99%
Person with your car: 1%
Twickenham and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by guv1976
But it would cover theft -- which, by definition, involves an unauthorized driver.
The problem is OP handed the key over voluntarily to the valet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.