Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott should charge for children entering the club lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott should charge for children entering the club lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I concur that the greater problem tends to be adults in lounges. Handsfree video calls are my particular pet hate.

Having said that, the lounge at the newish Marriott Ocean Park in HK is an absolute nightmare over the weekend when the hotel is packed (ok, not so packed at the moment due to events in HK) with families visiting the next-door theme part (hence the hotel name) and all seemingly getting lounge access while determined to maximise the value of the stay with a locust-style evening dinner buffet for their entire family. Last time I was there it resembled a primary school cafeteria and every table was taken by the 5.30pm kick-off time.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Besides charging for kids into the Club wouldn't stop their bad behavior. The issue isn't allowing kids Into the club paid or unpaid - it's policing bad behavior by all ages
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Again, the worst behavior on club lounges I've found are adults who ought to know better than scream on videos calls, pick their feet at tables. Kids? Yeah, sometimes loud but usually settle down and parents usually try to stop them.

But those rude adults? Their calls can often go on for hours like that business exec at the Westin Guangzhou who held several conference calls for several hours that everyone on lounge could hear.

I have inside knowledge now on that US company's entire international operations. Never did invest on it but it sure seemed a dog
Should've shorted the stock!
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:51 pm

The issue isn’t kids per se but rather those parents who let them run wild ( and it’s not common..but very noticeable when it happens as per the Margarita Girl example).
Yes, there’s a lot of kids in the lounge at Lai Lai Sheraton. I think parents take the opportunity to give the kids an early ( free..) dinner, before having their own later. I think that’s okay ...
I agree about adults behaving badly...some lounge behaviour is disgraceful.
A related issue is that many hotels give lounge access on a paid basis , either by booking a club room or via a daily charge for access. In those situations guests probably feel that they have to eat and drink big to justify the cost, whereas for those of us entitled to access via status it’s just ‘another day in the office’
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Amelorn
This contrasts with the US where elite upgrades are more common.
From everything I've read on FT, my clear impression is that upgrades are much more common in Asia.

Originally Posted by SHLTP
But those rude adults? Their calls can often go on for hours like that business exec at the Westin Guangzhou who held several conference calls for several hours that everyone on lounge could hear.

I have inside knowledge now on that US company's entire international operations. Never did invest on it but it sure seemed a dog
Next time, find an online forum about the company and post a transcript of the call along with a physical description of the person. Doubt that he'll make that mistake again.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners.
margarita girl and ACYYZ/SD like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
That's the bottom line. Parents: Supervise your kids so that lounge time can be enjoyed by all. Child rampage in Vienna last week while the Parents (and the Nanny) were buried in their phones and on their "n-th" glass of wine.
margarita girl and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
That's the bottom line. Parents: Supervise your kids so that lounge time can be enjoyed by all. Child rampage in Vienna last week while the Parents (and the Nanny) were buried in their phones and on their "n-th" glass of wine.
When kids are rowdy: "Banned the damn kids"
When adults are rowdy: what are you gonna do

Lounge with kids causing the problem, 1% of the time: "oh my gosh, get those kids outta here"
Lounge with adults causing the problem, 99% of the time: what are you gonna do
ACYYZ/SD likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I have seen more disruptive adults in lounges than kids. I know someone who worked in a lounge in an Asian Marriott family hotels and she told me that lounge food never runs out, she said as soon as they are cleared out they will call for more. Also she said that it's better for the guests to clear out the food so they don't need to waste it (they have prepared enough to handle a lot of guests).

The most expensive item in the lounge is alcohol - and it's not something for kids anyway.

I have kids too and they travel a lot, and if we know we are going to be in the lounge for a long time, we will make sure they are entertained. They commented on how some adults made so much noise in the lounge and crying and disruptive toddlers on long haul flights.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Adults, supervise yourself, yes I'm talking to those that thinks the lounge is your personal frat party, or conference meeting, or phone tags, so lounge time can be enjoyed by all.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:36 am

having been on both sides of the fence (kid hating traveler and shell shocked parent with multiple kids) I enjoy these threads.

The idea that parents are going to sneak out for dinner after the kids eat at the lounge is preposterous. bed time alone takes almost an hour. There is not a parent out there that would leave their kids (suite or no suite) and go eat dinner somewhere. Look up Madeline - that is every parents nightmare.

There are plenty of bad parents out there, but it is not even that easy to spot them. I suggest any of you who think this without ever actually having spent time watching kids might want to rethink your position. The nanny/parents drinking wine? I TOTALLY get that. some days you want to lock the kids in a closet. Particularly between ages 3 and 5. Now of course you wouldn't, but kids are designed to test boundaries and patience. Some times parents just need a break. Remember - parents are dealing with kids who do not have a fully developed intellect yet. It is similar to dealing with people who have developmental disabilities. How big of an ... would you be if you criticized someone with downs? Or some other developmental issue? I know it is not a comfort when the break they take impacts your peace and quiet but quite frankly tough. You have no more right to demand strict behavior requirements in the clubs than they do to demand you be removed for whining.

When I was a kid hater I would leave situations like that. There is no way to win when kids are involved. people tend to love them and favor kids - if I demanded the kids exit I would have received dirty looks and zero cooperation from then on from the staff. Sorry, but for the kid haters out there you simply cannot win this issue.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
First, kids accompanied by their parents or other adult guardian, should be permitted in the lounge. Like adults the kids should be polite and have good behavior. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to supervise the kids and ensure they have appropriate behavior. My wife and I hold ourselves to the same standard with our daughter. She is now in her early teens and requires less supervision than when she was a young child. For the most part she knows what is expected and conforms to it on her own. When/if she doesn't, we step in immediately and correct the bad behavior which would include leaving the lounge immediately if needed.

This morning in The M Club at a suburban LI Marriott, it was bursting at the seams with lots of people. Not surprising since this location has many people stay on weekends and holidays when visiting nearby family. A grandmother came in with five kids. That in it's own right isn't an issue in my mind. Of those kids, one was a boy in his mid to late teen and the others were between approx. 5 to 10 years old. The grandmother had delegated supervision of the other grand kids to the boy. Two of the younger kids were very precocious cutting in front of people repeatedly without a care in the world. I found their behavior to be unacceptable. I don't blame the teenage boy, he was trying to contain the younger kids but wasn't fully up to the task. I blame the grandmother for not directly supervising the kids or at least assisting the teenage boy.

Based on their conversation (hard to not hear), I believe the grandfather was also staying at the hotel. The grandmother should have enlisted other adults, like the grandfather, to assist with supervising the kids. Instead she went in without enough help and was overwhelmed. If she couldn't enlist more help, they should have forgone the lounge and ate breakfast elsewhere (hotel restaurant or off site) or gone in multiple smaller groups she could manage properly.

They were the only group that stood out as having inappropriate behavior in the lounge. There were other families with kids and many adult only groups in the lounge. All were minding their own business and having a good time without disturbing others. The Lounge staff were also doing a good job with keeping up with restocking food and dishes. Chairs and tables were scarce but everyone was making do and coping with it just fine.

So bottom line, for me it is all about everyone, adult and child alike, having reasonable behavior. Each group is responsible for ensuring their own behavior is appropriate. If your group isn't and can't act reasonably in the lounge, you should leave on your own unprompted (extended business calls, loud kids, etc.) Furthermore, as a business traveler, the perk of being able to bring my immediate family (three in our case), into the lounge during family leisure stays is one of the factors in why I choose to do business with Marriott. Without it, I might choose to give my business stays to another chain who provided that benefit (Hilton, Hyatt, etc.).

--Jon
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Kids or adults alike, Marriott should police and enforce guest +1 in lounges. That will take care of some of the ridiculous situations we are all experiencing. Have an option of +$20 for kids and +$40 for adults to allow extra invites, like some hotels do.
That is why I never mind when asked for my room number when entering a lounge, it is for everyone's benefit.
And while it is sad for this to be necessary, like airport lounges, there apparently must be rules posted such as 'no speaker phones', 'no bare feet' and other otherwise obvious rules.
MSPeconomist and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by cfischer
Kids or adults alike, Marriott should police and enforce guest +1 in lounges. That will take care of some of the ridiculous situations we are all experiencing. Have an option of +$20 for kids and +$40 for adults to allow extra invites, like some hotels do.
That is why I never mind when asked for my room number when entering a lounge, it is for everyone's benefit.
And while it is sad for this to be necessary, like airport lounges, there apparently must be rules posted such as 'no speaker phones', 'no bare feet' and other otherwise obvious rules.
Paying doesn't mean people suddenly behave nicely, I have seen some Swedes bought lounge access at CPH Marriott (group of 12 or so) and they took the wine by the bottle and brought it to their table and made tons of noise.

Saw a kid in LH Sen lounge licking his fingers and put his fingers into a candy container - my kids noticed it and told me, I couldn't see his parent so I complained to the LH staff.

Just because you charge people or enforcing +1 rule it doesn't mean that the kid will suddenly stop licking his fingers before putting it into a candy jar or a group of drunk who made loud noise in a lounge taking the wine by the bottle.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
No such thing as bad emotional support animals...
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.