Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Unimpressed with real life experience as titanium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unimpressed with real life experience as titanium

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
I don’t get your point.

Titanium Elite is the new name for what was previously called Platinum Premier Elite, and Ambassador Elite the new name for the old membership level of Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador.

In fact, with SPG everybody was just called Platinum and there were no new monikers after hitting 75 and 100 nights.
Wrong. SPG Plat100 was called Ambassador even though it was a subset of Plat (with Plat50 and Plat75 also getting additional benefits).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
My experience with upgrades as titanium (and Platinum Premier and Marriott Platinum before that) is quite easy to spot a pattern in.

1.A lot of my stays are 10+ nights, upgrades are very limited
2. Two night stays seem to be the optimum for upgrades.
3. Being a returning customer helps a lot
4. The US is a tough place to get a decent upgrade.

At any given day, I am not the only titanium member checking in, there is not a luxury upgrade for us all, the hotel has to pick the ones getting the nice upgrades somehow.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
I think the issues i have with late checkout are kinked to the fact i have 2 rooms.

typically in business trips i look to have minimal hotel exposure and so check in late and chek out early.

with family i almost systematically ask about late check out as this is typically convenient. Visit the city and them come back but i guess its not convenient for the hotel.

my point about RC geneva is less to do about the hotel itself.

in an ideal world, here is like i would like it to work: you would out your preference of when you hope to be prioritized. In my case it would definitively when travelling with family and then they shod run stats (after all marriott is very keen on gathering big data) so why cant they run this as well: ok this guy has had 50 stays with no upgrades and now he is travelling with his family and this is his priority well lets make sure he gets prioritized vs. other elites.

i guess im just dreaming.

anyhow bottom line is hyatt treats you better and im just switching back.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheHak
I think the issues i have with late checkout are kinked to the fact i have 2 rooms.

typically in business trips i look to have minimal hotel exposure and so check in late and chek out early.

with family i almost systematically ask about late check out as this is typically convenient. Visit the city and them come back but i guess its not convenient for the hotel.

my point about RC geneva is less to do about the hotel itself.

in an ideal world, here is like i would like it to work: you would out your preference of when you hope to be prioritized. In my case it would definitively when travelling with family and then they shod run stats (after all marriott is very keen on gathering big data) so why cant they run this as well: ok this guy has had 50 stays with no upgrades and now he is travelling with his family and this is his priority well lets make sure he gets prioritized vs. other elites.

i guess im just dreaming.

anyhow bottom line is hyatt treats you better and im just switching back.
Why should a "guy" traveling with his family get priority for upgrades over some other elite (of the same tier) of either gender who is traveling without a family?
Happy, SEA777GUY, fdem and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dtremit
OP named a lot of specific problems -- late checkout issues, issues with hotels blocking connecting rooms, execution problems with SNAs, and issues with points posting. I can't figure out why any of those would be an unrealistic expectation with any Bonvoy brand, and seeing them at luxury properties is especially disappointing.

This is my experience, too -- the one place I have not struggled is with late checkout. I am sort of surprised by that. But very few meaningful upgrades or special treatment of any sort. I had significantly better experiences with Hyatt (though their footprint doesn't work for my travel patterns these days), but I also had significantly better experiences as a 50-night SPG plat, and as a Hilton Diamond back in the day.

My biggest disappointment is with the lack of attention to detail. I don't expect an upgrade at properties that are half full of elites, but that's not an excuse for not looking at my profile. Mine says "high floor" -- and yet about half the Courtyards I stay in put me in first floor rooms facing the parking lot. That literally *never* happened to me in 10+ years of elite status at other chains. Likewise, I have checked in next to zero-status coworkers staying on the same rate, and have been given significantly less appealing rooms.

It shouldn't take a whole lot of effort for hotels to go through their check-ins in the morning, in status order, and block rooms that meet basic profile preferences. I don't know if this is a culture problem, or if Bonvoy systems make it harder to get to this information than the guest management platforms at other chains, but it's not a problem I've run into elsewhere.

Between that and the silly nickel-and-diming that is the breakfast policy, I'm not sweating making Titanium for next year -- Platinum will be just fine.
I think this is good post. At a 200+ night Ambassador and Hyatt Globalist, my experiences at Hyatt hotels have been consistently excellent, while at Marriott, its less so. Some Marriott properties are fantastic, while others are just meh.

I might start with Hyatt next year and then work my way back to Marriott. As a LT PLT, theres some buffer. But does feel weird as I was a spg, then spg and Marriott (pre-merger, moved due to footprint), then Marriott post-merger, to start elsewhere
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TheHak
ok this guy has had 50 stays with no upgrades and now he is travelling with his family and this is his priority well lets make sure he gets prioritized vs. other elites.
But it's the individual hotel doing the upgrades, not Marriott corporate. At the hotel level, as I mentioned upthread, there are additional considerations, of which Marriott corporate is unaware.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Which he may very well have booked in the first place....
Wasn't an option upon booking at this hotel. Only concierge floor or "Stay Well" rooms offered outside of standard K/Double. If it were offered, I would have booked it myself.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by melissaru
Wasn't an option upon booking at this hotel. Only concierge floor or "Stay Well" rooms offered outside of standard K/Double. If it were offered, I would have booked it myself.
Maybe his rate was double of yours, so when they assigned the rooms they gave him a nicer room.

Or as the room is not a category, it is not held back but just assigned first come first serve and his agent was faster at picking a room?

However, you were offered an upgrade to a Stay Well room, that you turned down....
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by DELee

Hover over the various links in the graphic shown and you find out that Marriott views the Titanium Elites as simply warmed over Platinum Premiers...
wow, you really cracked the case here. A real bombshell.
ryw likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why should a "guy" traveling with his family get priority for upgrades over some other elite (of the same tier) of either gender who is traveling without a family?
not quite what i am saying. The issue it seems is the amount of titanium at any one point in us hotels.

my personal experience is that hotels struggle to deal with it knowing most guests will be disappointed and perhaps unwilling to satisfy entitled elites. So roughly they ll treat well the regular guests and probably accept requests from the most annoying guests (ie look on the website you are still selling this suite so please give it to me kind of things)

all im saying is that marriott should collect information from their guests (ie when is it really important for you to get upgrade and late check out, what percentage of upgrades did the guest receive in last 20 stays, etc..) so that they help hotels prioritize in an efficient manner.

also just the amount of bonvoy make these hotels lazy.

when i stayed -with no status- at rosewood hong kong with the family in preopening phase. We were upgraded to harbor view suite connecting to a double queen and kids received great goodies. Week after we booked a 3 bedroom villa at rosewood mayakoba.

when we stayed at edition weho with family with titanium in preopening phase -and half empty hotel- we were given floor 3 rooms looking at air con and the noisy road and they couldnt even have us connect.

also i hate it when the concierge desks writes to you in advance to ask what they can do for you selling the new 1* michelin restaurant and not even answering the email when you say the most important thing are connecting rooms.

Last edited by TheHak; Nov 6, 2019 at 5:52 am
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
With most of my travels in Asia and some in Europe, staying at a variety of brands, Titanium has worked well for me this year. Always got upgraded, often to suites - maybe because my stays are typically 1-3 nights, so I don't hog the suites for long. Sometimes it felt a waste to have a suite for just 10 hours (Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi) on an overnight overlay... For me though the breakfast/club amenities are more important than the suite. Late checkouts have been always granted on the few occasions I needed them.

So I'm happy with Titanium and just wonder how will plain Plat work next year...

It seems obvious from this thread that the situation in the US is a different kettle of fish.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
With most of my travels in Asia and some in Europe, staying at a variety of brands, Titanium has worked well for me this year. Always got upgraded, often to suites - maybe because my stays are typically 1-3 nights, so I don't hog the suites for long. Sometimes it felt a waste to have a suite for just 10 hours (Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi) on an overnight overlay... For me though the breakfast/club amenities are more important than the suite. Late checkouts have been always granted on the few occasions I needed them.

So I'm happy with Titanium and just wonder how will plain Plat work next year...

It seems obvious from this thread that the situation in the US is a different kettle of fish.
Your experience is similar to mine (mostly in the US), with the exception of complimentary upgrades. I get them, but doesn't come close to "always". Like you, most of the time I don't care, as I'm staying only 1 or 2 nights and I'm busy outside the hotel with work anyway. I've received all the other benefits I expect.

I'll never argue that the US hotels are better than the Asian ones, it's not even close. But not sure the experience in receiving benefits is that much different for most of us.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
Your experience is similar to mine (mostly in the US), with the exception of complimentary upgrades. I get them, but doesn't come close to "always". Like you, most of the time I don't care, as I'm staying only 1 or 2 nights and I'm busy outside the hotel with work anyway. I've received all the other benefits I expect.

I'll never argue that the US hotels are better than the Asian ones, it's not even close. But not sure the experience in receiving benefits is that much different for most of us.
My experience sounds similar to JBord’s. I have about a 80% upgrade rate even though I rarely ask for an upgrade. Sometimes the upgrade is to a suite. Most of the time is is just a nicer room class. Most of my stays are for one or two nights.

I never have a problem getting program benefits. I never experienced Asian hotels so I can’t compare and contrast. I have some European hotel experience but the vast majority of stays are in the US & Mexico.

I find service levels range from acceptable to occasionally excellent. On the rare occasion that there is a service issue, the hotels lean in quickly. I have a really good Ambassador that is incredibly helpful when I ask her.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Antarius
I think this is good post. At a 200+ night Ambassador and Hyatt Globalist, my experiences at Hyatt hotels have been consistently excellent, while at Marriott, its less so. Some Marriott properties are fantastic, while others are just meh.

I might start with Hyatt next year and then work my way back to Marriott. As a LT PLT, theres some buffer. But does feel weird as I was a spg, then spg and Marriott (pre-merger, moved due to footprint), then Marriott post-merger, to start elsewhere
This mostly sums up my experience and my sentiments. I will soon cross 200 nights this year, spread between Marriott (at ~120 nights right now) and at Hyatt (~76 nights). I have a truly fantastic Ambassador who is super responsive, helpful, and is a delight to interact with. That being said, she is oftentimes as frustrated as I am with the experience that I have with Marriott. Examples:

SNAs almost always denied with the exception being at Asian properties when I go on holiday
Your24 (tried it once) - denied.
Ambassador-requested amenities (extra towels) placed in-room prior to arrival - works 25% of the time
60+ nights at one property - 5 nights total upgraded to a suite - 3 of those nights because I had a major failure (water leak) in my room and demanded the upgrade.
All this, paired with a very rough start to the year (when IT issues were rampant, I was told at one property that I had no status and was not eligible to use the Gold/Platinum/Elite line rather forcefully) and a number of other service misses, switching over to Hyatt was oddly euphoric.

I have a very responsive and proactive concierge at Hyatt. My stays at Hyatt have been drama-free, the property I regularly stay at continues to try to find ways to surprise and delight me (ex: they noted at some point that I always buy the same snacks and other items from the market upon my arrival and for a few weeks, had those items placed in my room upon arrival - for free), and my experience has been consistently good across the Hyatt portfolio (room preferences, requests for extra towels and a shaving kit, etc are handled the same way whether I'm at a Hyatt House or a Park Hyatt).

I'm a bit torn because I suspect that if I don't requal as Ambassador next year and lose access to my Ambassador, that the Marriott experience may get worse for me...and I need Marriott's footprint for my work travels. That said, it seems counterproductive to have to stay 100+ nights and spend $20k in order to have a decent experience. Thinking I'll take my chances and just go all-in with Hyatt.

Last edited by immaculate; Nov 7, 2019 at 12:43 am
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Count me less than impressed too. In my 108 nights so far this year with another 18 booked, the only suites have been via SNA. Overall I’d say I have decent stays but the failures clearly take a multiplier if good times to make me want to come back.

My biggest issues are:
1) opacity of upgrades. I wonder who is actually getting the suites and wonder if I’m being hosed because I simply don’t care when checking in for an overnight on business. Or that I check in online. Or that I don’t ask during longer stays.
2) IT. I’m aggravated to no end that I seem to need to request my stays be credited around 25% of the time. I now watch my account activity like a hawk so I’m not screwed.
3) Not titanium specific: resort fees and destination fees. They’re worthless to me and ironically I’m not personally paying for them (my employer is). But they still leave me annoyed when I know I’m not getting any value for them... so can we stop pretending? Just raise the rates and make the fake fees go away.
4) breakfast inconsistency. CY is the lowest tier hotel I generally stay in. I just wish I got welcome points and free breakfast at all the hotels. Why force me to think about lounge availability and other stuff?
5) Not titanium specific: MAGC devaluation. No, I will not skip housekeeping for $1.75 worth of points.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.