Why feather pillows?

Old Nov 2, 19, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Why feather pillows?

I am allergic to feather dust. My nose gets congested and my skin gets itching, and can get worse.

So I always call beforehand to request de-feather the room. But recently two Courtyards failed to do so. I have to call the front desk and ask them to redo the room. Labor lost for them and I am not happy either.

Why these hotels always carry feather pillows? alliance between hotel and chick farm? Cost serving (I doubt that feather is cheaper than polyester)? Political reason (certain states who raise chickens want to protect chicken farmer)?

For all the members who prefer feather pillows? what's your reason?
tfong007 and Duke787 like this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Le Club Accor Silver, Hertz 5 Star
I always ask for feather or down pillows...they feel very different from polyester or foam, which are much more "elastic" for lack of a better word. Feather and down pillows adapt to the shape of your neck and head in a way that other types of pillows don't. To each his own...
downinit, seat38a, mikebor and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 4:36 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Only feathers please. Its more comfortable
Old Nov 2, 19, 4:54 pm

As someone who is a poor sleeper and has neck issues, I can only do down pillows. Nothing else molds around the head like them. Synthetic pillows feel like they are trying to throw my head through the ceiling.
Old Nov 2, 19, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM AMB,
Most hotels I know of have other pillows than feather/down. Just ask.
Old Nov 2, 19, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estedman View Post
Most hotels I know of have other pillows than feather/down. Just ask.
The OP does always ask, but some hotels ignore the request. Reread post #1 .
Old Nov 2, 19, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It amuses me when vegans want feather pillows.
Old Nov 2, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
That's like asking why people prefer steak over hamburger.

I like the way feather pillows conform to my head, but I find they offer little to no support, so I like to layer feathers on top of foam.
Old Nov 2, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Or, if you are that particular, you can always pack your preferred pillow on your travels
Old Nov 2, 19, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
That's like asking why people prefer steak over hamburger.

I like the way feather pillows conform to my head, but I find they offer little to no support, so I like to layer feathers on top of foam.
Actually, I am more comparing myself to passengers who are allergic to peanuts. Peanuts vs non-nuts. Steak and hamburger are the same material in different size
Twickenham likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC P25K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors, M-Bonvoy
OP has a very fair point, I don't understand why some posters are being obnoxious towards them.

It isn't a very difficult request for them to oblige, so I see no reason for this to be a recurring issue. A fair complaint from the OP for sure...
Old Nov 2, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Walker1921 View Post
I am allergic to feather dust. My nose gets congested and my skin gets itching, and can get worse.

So I always call beforehand to request de-feather the room. But recently two Courtyards failed to do so. I have to call the front desk and ask them to redo the room. Labor lost for them and I am not happy either.

Why these hotels always carry feather pillows? alliance between hotel and chick farm? Cost serving (I doubt that feather is cheaper than polyester)? Political reason (certain states who raise chickens want to protect chicken farmer)?

Note that Marriott considers FEATHER-FREE to be a request only, not guaranteed (like a nonsmoking room or bedding choice for elites).
nancypants and seat38a like this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 8:33 pm

Programs: Many
sounds like the "why" is because everyone who isn't allergic to them prefers them
Old Nov 2, 19, 8:43 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Actually, I am more comparing myself to passengers who are allergic to peanuts.
We understand your personal issues, but to quote your OP,

Where do allergies figure into this question?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
As others have said, feather tends to be less firm and conform more comfortably to my head/neck.

If you’re allergic however, it’s something to note in your profile. I believe there is a box to check that says “feather free room.” In your position I would also reconfirm with the front desk at check in.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: