Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonvoy Devaluations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by AADFW
Ah, an incompetent grammar Nazi! Quite characteristically, I count no fewer than three errors in your ironic and rather pedestrian reply. You never went to college, did you?
In you case you missed, at issue is your use of the verb “to rape” in the context of perceived (or imagined) harms to a hospitality loyalty program which, to say the least, is an extremely poor choice of vocabulary and — you probably won’t get this — invalidates the point you were trying to make.
CPRich and Out of my Element like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes, Hyatt is better, much better - much like Starwood, as long as the footprint works for you, at the high end the benefits & recognition are just objectively better

(no verified FB Globalist group though...not really needed)
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

1.) NO FREE ALCOHOL at the club lounges anymore during the nightly receptions;
2.) Fewer if any complimentary water bottles in the rooms;
3.) Upgrades are FAR fewer, even when attempting to use Suite Night awards;
4.) Very little elite recognition upon check-in. (Even the special elite key folders are less frequent!);
5.) Welcome notes from the management and little amenities like sweets or chocolates have all but completely vanished.
I had hoped we were done with the "Starwood was the best and Marriott sucks" threads, as they seemed to be slowing down lately. But at least this one is amusing, as I think each one of the five complaints is either untrue/unsubstantiated or materially insignificant.

1. This was never the case in US properties, and still exists in non-US properties (at least in my recent experience)
2. At some properties I've had water bottles, some I haven't. It was inconsistent before and after the merger.
3. What data do you have to back this up? The complimentary upgrades are space available and there's no data made public. For SNA's, I would wager the number of SNA redemptions has gone way up, because no one on the legacy Marriott side had them before the merger. That alone refutes the fact that it's a devaluation as more people are receiving the benefit then before. We don't know the success rate.
4. Don't you get a large welcome banner hung in the lobby when you arrive at a property? They always do that for me. At one property, balloons fell from the ceiling when I checked in. But most of the time they just smile and thank me for being a Titanium. I've never once looked at a key card folder other than to recall the room number. So what recognition do you miss?
5. I guess I'm not familiar with this one. Sometimes I get a manager letter but rarely now or in the past have I received anything more. In Phuket, I did have a very nice fruit plate waiting in my room for me a couple years ago. I guess if you've consistently received these gifts, you might see it as a devaluation, but it's difficult to do that when they were never guaranteed in the first place. The whole problem with giving someone something extra is that they begin to expect it...

Interestingly, I think there HAVE been some devaluations after the merger, such as the recent peak award change. But not the things you mention.
Newman likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Another reasoned and dispassionate debate about very important topics here on flyer talk dot com.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emma dog
I’d be ok with this if the tap tasted decent in many places I go.
I stopped drinking the bottled water that was in the lounge when we were in the US last year after reading the label to see it was 'bottled municipal water' ie tap water! No wonder it tasted horrid and so I didn't mind paying a few bucks for a bottle of water that wasn't tap water.

Originally Posted by scracer14
News to me, are they donating the $5 per bottle they charge for the same water (once free) to environmental efforts or something?
Not sure but even in the lounge, instead of bottles of water it was BYOB and fill it up. I was surprised to see a tap for both still and sparking water.

Originally Posted by JBord
1. This was never the case in US properties, and still exists in non-US properties (at least in my recent experience)
In the hotels with lounges I have been to in the UK, you still get free alcohol (beer or wine).
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am coming from legacy Marriott and Hilton. As a platinum and diamond respectively, I see no devaluations from the merger and only things getting better. Airlines have real devaluations but I just don’t see it with Bonvoy which constantly delivers benefits for me.
Newman likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I am coming from legacy Marriott and Hilton. As a platinum and diamond respectively, I see no devaluations from the merger and only things getting better. Airlines have real devaluations but I just don’t see it with Bonvoy which constantly delivers benefits for me.
Clearly, you're in the wrong thread.
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by flying_geek
Oh yeah, notes from managers. I had completely forgotten they used to exist. I don't think I have seen one this year. Seemingly not something I missed much though.
I always found the welcome notes and random notes throughout my stay kind of well, weird. I guess I'm not a luxury hotel person because I kind of just like to be left alone when I'm staying someplace unless I ask for something.

As a side note I did get a great chuckle out of a note I received when staying at a Luxury Collection hotel recently in Asia. The note included a little photo of the staff on a sticker, three attractive women, and a note thanking me for my stay and "We are here to service our clients and make them happy". I know it was a lost in translation moment but it made me chuckle.

Insert Archer.Phrasing.gif
txpenny likes this.

Last edited by DutchessPDX; Sep 25, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
4.) Very little elite recognition upon check-in. (Even the special elite key folders are less frequent!);
5.) Welcome notes from the management and little amenities like sweets or chocolates have all but completely vanished.
This is definitely YMMV but I had four Bonvoy stays last month, all booked with points. All four properties upgraded me, two to larger (higher category) rooms, one to a junior suite and one to a suite about the size of my apartment. No SNAs were applied, they just upgraded me.

All four rooms/suites had welcome notes and some kind of treat waiting for me (chocolates, macarons, fruit or cake). All had at least two water bottles.

I can't comment on the alcohol issue because only two of those hotels had lounges and I visited during the evening reception, where I was surprised to find a full dinner buffet.

Now, on the not-so-generous side, I also had an IHG stay last month. I'm Spire but the only benefit was a larger room. Had I wanted breakfast, it would have cost me 25 euros (no thanks). And when I wanted a 3pm checkout, they said only up to 2pm was free. So I paid 10 euros to keep my room until 2:45pm. Would have been nice if they'd waived it for a top-tier member but they didn't. Had I been at a Marriott property, breakfast would have been included and a 2:45pm check out would have been possible without a fee.

Again, YMMV but I have no complaints about Bonvoy devaluation.
Newman likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
When I learned that Marriott was taking over Starwood a few years ago, I was slightly concerned as a lifetime Platinum member. But I figured there was still more than enough competitive tension, and I was reassured repeatedly that Marriott would look after me. So I stuck with it. After several stays at large Marriott hotels this year, I am noticing some significant devaluations / downgrades to what I had previously experienced, even as a Titanium member. Namely:

Beyond this, I can't believe the audacity of the assertion that the "express menu" at mainline Marriotts with "no carts and no fuss" is some sort of upgrade or improvement. If I wanted a cheap, nasty, badly overpriced meal served in f'ing plastic containers I'd just go to Starbucks.

Just as they did to the Ritz Carlton more than a decade ago, the bean counters at Marriott have RAPED all the class and value out of their Starwood acquisition in extremely short order. There is still loads of hotel competition out there, and it is only a matter of time before the next Starwood emerges. I'm actively looking out for it. Marriott senior management, I implore you: be more generous with your guests. You are never "too big to fail."
First, Marriott never had free alcohol in their lounges. Many customers took advantage of the "Honor Bar" by not writing down who used what... cheapskates in my opinon. Most Sheraton's I have been to this year still have complimentary beer and wine in the US.

Second, I cannot believe number 4 and 5 on your list really determine whether we choose to stay somewhere over the long term.
Newman likes this.

Last edited by Collierkr; Sep 25, 2019 at 11:08 am Reason: clarity
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

1) I don't drink - so no comment on this because I have no idea

2) I have found the opposite - I never saw them pre merger at all

3) I haven't had a SNA denied, even during peak summer holiday this year, I have also been upgraded to a suite on a stay of 9 days and upgraded to a premium balcony room from a standard king room for a stay of 37 days - TWICE

4) Again, my experience to yours has been polar opposites

5) Again, not everywhere but definitely the places i frequent, and a few one time stays as well. I get am email from the GM or hospitality team a week before arrival and asking if there is anything special. Seattle Westin this summer SNA approved and then re upgraded to a high floor suite, cupcakes in the room upon arrival for my daughters B-day and a thoughtful note from guest services on my pillow.

I have 230 nights this year so far, and unfortunately will probably close out the year with 300+ and I couldn't be happier with the way i have been treated and the way they bend over backwards to keep the family happy.
Newman likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by Collierkr
First, Marriott never had free alcohol in their lounges. Many customers took advantage of the "Honor Bar" by not writing down who used what... cheapskates in my opinon. Most Sheraton's I have been to this year still have complimentary beer and wine in the US.

Second, I cannot believe number 4 and 5 on your list really determine whether we choose to stay somewhere over the long term.
The US Marriott concierge lounges did have free alcohol several years ago, pre-Sorenson. Most international lounges continued to serve complimentary alcohol, but I haven't been to one since the merger.

I really don't mind paying a reasonable price for a self pour glass of wine using the honor bar. However, many lounges now charge restaurant prices and have metered pours (by attendant or machine).
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:08 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
As SPG and seeing the change to Bonvoy saw some changes that were disappointing but not unexpected. I was never happy about devaluing but when you consider what Hilton or Hyattt do you need to make choices what work best.

SPG had great points accumulation and redemption and combined with their footprint where I traveled was a no brainer that was my choice brand. I looked at Hilton and Hyatt and they simply didn't match the footprint, choice, and points / benefits.

Nothing upsets people more than taking away what they once had, be it perks, points, redemption, sigh. If you got a better program let me know. Last I looked everyone including us look to see whats in it for us, not a surprise Marriott executives, bean counters, GM, and hotel owners do the same.

I was in the lobby of a local Marriott and a roadwarriorr was talking to our old bell boy greeter ( cute retired guy doing this for kicks ) about how his company requires a receipt for things over 25 bucks, so his meals are all 24.99, okay... what a guy, not sure he even does it, but can't believe the entitlement some think they have/should get.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
I always found the welcome notes and random notes throughout my stay kind of well, weird.
Regardless of how you find it, it’s difficult to argue it’s not a “small touch” showing at least minimal effort.

In my company I insist we start emails with “Thank you for your email.” and end with “Please let me know if you have any questions.” These, and other small touches, show we care.

Undoubtedly, we could eliminate some without notice, but if we did away with all, then it would be noticeable. What’s the difference between a full service, limited service and hostel property? Just A LOT of small changes which are cumulative.

/off my soap box

P.S. Hyatt is better if you can make the footprint work.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
First, Marriott never had free alcohol in their lounges. Many customers took advantage of the "Honor Bar" by not writing down who used what... cheapskates in my opinon.
Better yet...some rat ba$tard wrote down a drink on my receipt at the "honor bar" a few months back.

Very honorable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.