FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1985761-marriott-travel-packages-discontinued-jan-19-2022-a.html)

craigthemif Nov 21, 2019 8:47 am

I always book what I want under Points Advance and then call to have the certificate applied. The only time an agent struggled was when an old certificate required converting to new. Otherwise it's pretty simple for most agents.

The more steps I ask an agent to do, the more likely something is misunderstood...

gocolts Nov 21, 2019 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 31751799)
Any more DP's like this downgrade or more of a one off? Actually would prefer to downgrade from 6 to 5 as well.

I was able to do this as well. Downgraded two certificates from 6 to 5 and got 120K points back! Certificate dates extended for 1 yr.

frudd38 Nov 21, 2019 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by gocolts (Post 31763443)
I was able to do this as well. Downgraded two certificates from 6 to 5 and got 120K points back! Certificate dates extended for 1 yr.

Thanks but I was quoting your original post asking for other DPs.. lol

ali7204 Nov 22, 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 31738629)
How about the responsibility of the member who knowingly ordered such while fully aware he wasn't eligible but went ahead to take advantage anyway when such "opportunity" presented itself, and ordered like 5 or more of such? What is the cliche about pig and hog?

How about not accusing someone of Fraud w/o knowing the facts (or you didn't bother to read)? If you read my post, 5N cert was mentioned and awarded by the agent (so def MAR bears some responsibility) No? plus I was already told last year about audit and I agreed to it and happily let them convert unused certs back to where they belong (???) but supervisor let me go by saying, "he was letting me keep it this time " which I fully abide by and now one year later they are trying to pull the same crap.

Happy Nov 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by ali7204 (Post 31765925)
How about not accusing someone of Fraud w/o knowing the facts (or you didn't bother to read)? If you read my post, 5N cert was mentioned and awarded by the agent (so def MAR bears some responsibility) No? plus I was already told last year about audit and I agreed to it and happily let them convert unused certs back to where they belong (???) but supervisor let me go by saying, "he was letting me keep it this time " which I fully abide by and now one year later they are trying to pull the same crap.

You are balking at the wrong tree. I did not accuse you of Fraud. I just said for those who KNOWINGLY ordered such just because they were able to order that due to incompetent agents who most likely received reprimands from the higher up for unwittingly let callers violate the program rules, should also bear responsibility on the subsequent potential consequences.

The post that called such behavior being Fraud is this one, made by DFWsakp, and at least the second paragraph should be heeded by those on their ill-gotten instruments,

Originally Posted by DFWsakp (Post 31740105)
Knowingly ordering 5N package certificates when you know you are not eligible is fraud.
The Poster should be happy he was able to use the other ones and call it a day.

Not sure who has pulled crap to begin with...

Remember the old cliche? You went in with whole hog and that obviously would bring many eyes on your account - someone just has more authority than the supervisor you dealt with, decided to not letting it go, most likely due to the number of certs involved, with a clear demonstration of blatant abuse.

If you feel Marriott ate its words not to let you keep those that a supervisor was letting you to keep, then sue BonVoy that they have breached the agreement if there is even any. Bring them to Small Claim Court or to Arbitration. Very logical and simple solution.

GalaxyChris Nov 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun (Post 31761011)
It is to encourage you to spend 20k and do 100 plus nights in Marriott hotels to enable you to get an Ambassador which then enables you to actually do the basic things any member should be able to do.

More seriously that is terrible but seems pretty common for Marriott these days. I cannot imagine surviving dealing with Marriott without a great ambassador as everything is such a battle.

To avoid disappointment (and useless expectation), some Ambassador (like mine) seem to ignore even the rules with point advance honored at the previous rate, I guess it will not be better about certificates conversion.
When I send some link about the actual rules, the answer is "this is not official Marriott information"... :D

HIFlya Nov 22, 2019 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 31520428)
Just used my cat5 cert before the peak pricing takes effect.

Managed to attach it to a 1 category upgrade room as well

Did you do the reservation online? I thought the TP reservations could only be done over the phone. If you did it via phone, how did you get the category upgrade?

ali7204 Nov 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 31767278)

The post that called such behavior being Fraud is this one, made by DFWsakp, and at least the second paragraph should be heeded by those on their ill-gotten instruments,

If you feel Marriott ate its words not to let you keep those that a supervisor was letting you to keep, then sue BonVoy that they have breached the agreement if there is even any. Bring them to Small Claim Court or to Arbitration. Very logical and simple solution.

Fair enough.

ali7204 Nov 24, 2019 7:45 pm

Another twist in my ongoing saga with these damn certs. I used one these 5FN cert back in early Oct (I am not supposed to get these certs as I wasn't marriott Vacation owner), read my response earlier in this thread about the back story. Anyway, Marriott has now deducted 100k points (almost six weeks after the stay) and basically telling me, the ALREADY USED cert is cancelled. Well this is truly BonVoyed in the back side. I am escalating this to supervisor level and she actually found a call record about me calling last year and how I went through an Audit and were told by then supervisor that he was letting me use the certs this time but don't purchase these 5N certs again (which I fully complied). Funny thing, I used this cert back in Oct cuz I was worried, I won't be be able to use it before it expires in Nov and basically use it just for the sake of it.
So damn frustrating!

exploreaswego Nov 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by glasszon (Post 31742349)
When did you book it? The reservation shows the certificate has been attached and no further points is needed, you might find you end up with no booking when you turn up to the hotel....

Edit: This is what it says on mine: This reservation has e-certificate(s). Your Reward certificates will be sent to your hotel.

It seems TP are back and running well in order. I'll call in to attach my 2 remaining 7N certs for next year. Will report back when the certs attach to the reservation properly.

pazza2000 Dec 3, 2019 6:18 am

I ordered a few TP certs just before the changes last Aug, and then in Aug of this year called to have them converted to new which has reset the expiry. Would it be greedy of me to expect and ask for my one time extension in Aug of next year if unable to use by then, or are there any tricks to reset the expiry?

kbjarvis Dec 6, 2019 12:40 pm

My DP - I had booked a 7 night stay in a Cat 4 prior to the March category changes and did not attach my 7 Night Cat 1 - 4 certificate. It eventually became a Cat 5.

I just attempted to attach said cert, but Bonvoy would/could not honor the original Cat 4 reservation designation for me to use my certificate.

HOWEVER, the rep volunteered to eat the 90K point difference between my initial flat Cat 4 booking rate of 25K/night and the current peak Cat 5 rate of 40K/night, and claimed that this is their standard procedure(?).
I'll call it a half-win, as I am now 150K points "poorer" but still have a 7 Night Cat 1-4 cert to use somewhere.

Time to figure out where to burn said "spare" cert.

Happy Dec 6, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by kbjarvis (Post 31813085)
My DP - I had booked a 7 night stay in a Cat 4 prior to the March category changes and did not attach my 7 Night Cat 1 - 4 certificate. It eventually became a Cat 5.

I just attempted to attach said cert, but Bonvoy would/could not honor the original Cat 4 reservation designation for me to use my certificate.

HOWEVER, the rep volunteered to eat the 90K point difference between my initial flat Cat 4 booking rate of 25K/night and the current peak Cat 5 rate of 40K/night, and claimed that this is their standard procedure(?).
I'll call it a half-win, as I am now 150K points "poorer" but still have a 7 Night Cat 1-4 cert to use somewhere.

Time to figure out where to burn said "spare" cert.

it is the standard procedure IF the reservation was made BEFORE the category went up. The existing reservation got the old rate at the time booked, but the hotel got the new rate with the difference made up by the BonVoy program.

However if no existing reservation, you would not get the same treatment.

Counsellor Dec 7, 2019 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 31813536)
it is the standard procedure IF the reservation was made BEFORE the category went up. The existing reservation got the old rate at the time booked, but the hotel got the new rate with the difference made up by the BonVoy program.

However if no existing reservation, you would not get the same treatment.

Makes sense. If I reserve and the room rate changes after I make the reservation, the hotel will honor the original reservation (so long as I don't change it) at the original rate.

Happy Dec 7, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor (Post 31815152)
Makes sense. If I reserve and the room rate changes after I make the reservation, the hotel will honor the original reservation (so long as I don't change it) at the original rate.

Yes, same principle. Though in the case of award night booking, you have to call to have it manually processed while the revenue stay does not need any further intervention once you booked the room. Because of the human intervention is needed, even in the best time, there could be human error in the process, so it is always an "adventure" to me, that I try to eliminate the need by attaching cert / points before the category changes.