Wiki Posts
Search

Math error or pressure to sell!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Angry Math error or pressure to sell!?

I am an ambassador member and never stayed at this hotel. Just call it Hotel T.
Booked a room at Hotel T (80 fictional currency) for our anniversary. Applied the suite upgrade, in no time, the upgrade was accepted and the reservation was confirmed to Suite M.
Contacted my ambassador and informed about the occasion. Ambassador told me she will try her best to see if hotel can give an exception and upgrade us to Suite F. The "good news" from Hotel T was, as a good gesture, the hotel can confirm us to Suite F for (100 fictional currency). Wait, the current flexible rate for Suite F is selling at 170(fictional currency). If took the offer, I will be at 10 (fictional currency) and one SNA loss.

What do I receive as a loyal Marriott guest? An offer that is worst than a random person can get directly from the Marriott website?
Or the staff from Hotel T made an obvious mistake?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s obviously not a generous offer, but it seems like the hotel wasn’t that interested in up-selling you to the larger suite. Maybe they figure they can sell it at full price. I’d note it not an interesting offer and just move on.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:18 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That, or the person making the offer was not aware of what you were paying initially.

Odd offers are a constant with hotel and airline companies. Jump on good ones, ignore bad ones.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:41 am

If you only wanted Suite F - why not limit the SNA to that?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It’s obviously not a generous offer, but it seems like the hotel wasn’t that interested in up-selling you to the larger suite. Maybe they figure they can sell it at full price. I’d note it not an interesting offer and just move on.
This.^ Or you can make a counter offer in lower fictional currency. Depending on VAT situation at fictional country, it is possible that offer was VAT inclusive while price on website is VAT exclusive.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gunner14
If you only wanted Suite F - why not limit the SNA to that?
SNA is restricted by suite categories. Suite F is probably not SNA eligible for this fictional property.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TerryK
SNA is restricted by suite categories. Suite F is probably not SNA eligible for this fictional property.
The property exists, but may use fictional currency
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Personally, I prefer to stay in real hotels to fictional places.

That said, please let us know which hotel this is that accepts fictional currency. Platinum, here I come!

-J.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So don't take their offer.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Indeed. Suite F has a view of this numerical building and Suite M doesn't.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

This.^ Or you can make a counter offer in lower fictional currency. Depending on VAT situation at fictional country, it is possible that offer was VAT inclusive while price on website is VAT exclusive.
All the quotes are in fictional currency without tax and service fee.
The upgrade offer to Suite F is without tax and service fee either.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
That, or the person making the offer was not aware of what you were paying initially.

Odd offers are a constant with hotel and airline companies. Jump on good ones, ignore bad ones.
After applying the SNA, I am confirmed with Suite M. The retail price between Suite M and Suite F is about 10 fictional currency.
I am surprised this is coming from my ambassador.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
My bet is Atlantic City using Monopoly money.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I've just learned that some properties are willing to offer realistic upgrade charges and others seem to view all upgrade inquiries as trick questions where they have to respond with a crazy amount just to make sure they aren't being taken advantage of.

I just had a property ask for $740/night upgrade fee on an award stay when the rate difference between room types was $140/night for those nights. It doesn't make sense to me, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, so I try not to take it personally.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyinglan
The retail price between Suite M and Suite F is about 10 fictional currency.
I am surprised this is coming from my ambassador.
Did you push back and explain your rationale to them? Seems like a simple thing to do. Ambassadors don't get involved (well) in these negotiations IME - they just pass the message along. If you want to save, you'll have to advocate for yourself; they have no sense of value or prices and won't do well even if they push back for you.

I stayed at the W in Santiago Chile years ago as a Gold. I emailed in advance for a suite upgrade knowing I would have to pay. They initially offered a Fantastic Suite for $100 more per night or the WOW Suite for $400 more per night (5 night stay).

2 emails later and I was in the WOW Suite for $400 more total, for 5 nights. Point is, these offers are highly variable and flexible.
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.