Wiki Posts
Search

Resort smoking policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Privilege Club Marriott Bonvoy
Resort smoking policy

Currently at the RC in Bali and noticed that even though the hotel rooms are non smoking, the balconies are not and it is making it unbearable for someone who has asthma. Anything the hotel should do about it? Spoke to the manager and he suggested we call back once we smell the smoke again, is he going to tell the other guests to kindly stop smoking or something?

(first time poster by the way, hello everyone)
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Firstly, welcome to FT! I hope you find the forum welcoming and useful.

It sounds like there might not be a straight forward answer - Bali is somewhere visited by people from some heavy smoking countries. If your neighbours are particularly active smokers, perhaps you could be moved to another Villa? I would not expect this from a Marriott where you should really just live with policies, but at an RC it doesn’t seem unreasonable for them to try to move things around a bit.
JBord, Kacee and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sometimesJ
Currently at the RC in Bali and noticed that even though the hotel rooms are non smoking, the balconies are not........
Non-smoking policy rarely extends to outdoor spaces. The best way is to ask for a room/suite/villa change to find a non-smoking neighbor.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Actually many properties ban smoking on the balconies.

I would absolutely request a room change. Very nicely.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

So asked the manager to move us, at first he offered us a room on the 2nd floor (we are currently on the top floor), we said we want the same view so then we were offered a pavilion villa again with no view so we declined. Picky? Yes. But we value the view from our balcony the most.

Also so when talking about the smoking policy to the on duty manager, he said and I quote ‘no one has ever complained about this, you are the first’. I think not.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Entirely possible. In many places, the idea of prohibiting smoking outdoors would be scoffed at.

This was handled exceedingly well by the property. It is you who chose to put your view ahead of your health.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
he said and I quote ‘no one has ever complained about this, you are the first’. I think not.
You can never tell. Most people would just accept it as something they couldn't change. I applaud you for being vocal.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Cigarette smoke from one balcony bothers on another balcony? Yeah, I more than believe that they have not heard of that complaint before.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Entirely possible. In many places, the idea of prohibiting smoking outdoors would be scoffed at.

This was handled exceedingly well by the property. It is you who chose to put your view ahead of your health.
I understand your point. I submitted to looking at the beautiful Balinese ocean from behind the balcony doors instead to avoid the smoke. IMO it’s sad to come to such a picturesque place and not have a good view!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

I suggested smoking customers and non smoking customers be put in separate buildings for the junior suites. Probably will hear a sorry back from upper management and an offer of a couple hundred Marriott points
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:25 pm

So asked the manager to move us, at first he offered us a room on the 2nd floor (we are currently on the top floor), we said we want the same view so then we were offered a pavilion villa again with no view so we declined. Picky? Yes. But we value the view from our balcony the most.

Also so when talking about the smoking policy to the on duty manager, he said and I quote ‘no one has ever complained about this, you are the first’. I think not.
dont know what room had originally booked but a pavilion villa here seems like a big upgrade with private pool. The hotel appears to have tried to work it out.
Rifleman69 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would help to know what category room was booked by the OP, what category room was given at check in (and currently occupied), and what room categories were offered for a switch. While I generally object to taking a downgrade if there's a problem with my room, I realize that the higher category room cannot necessarily be better in every dimension. I'd probably be happy to take a much higher category room without smoking, especially since the OP had already had the opportunity to enjoy the view and presumably can do so from elsewhere in the property, such as in restaurants and bars.
If the OP rejects two offers to move to other rooms without smoking, I'm not sure what else the hotel can do or should be expected to do. Moving away from the smoke is the obvious solution and I'm not sure that any further customer service gesture is warranted in this case,
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would help to know what category room was booked by the OP, what category room was given at check in (and currently occupied), and what room categories were offered for a switch. While I generally object to taking a downgrade if there's a problem with my room, I realize that the higher category room cannot necessarily be better in every dimension. I'd probably be happy to take a much higher category room without smoking, especially since the OP had already had the opportunity to enjoy the view and presumably can do so from elsewhere in the property, such as in restaurants and bars.
If the OP rejects two offers to move to other rooms without smoking, I'm not sure what else the hotel can do or should be expected to do. Moving away from the smoke is the obvious solution and I'm not sure that any further customer service gesture is warranted in this case,
booked into sawangan junior suite, same room type given at check in but with high floor ocean view. Offered sawangan with lagoon access at first then pavilion villa afterwards.

The point is that there are no non-smoking rooms/ villas at all, (you can smoke on every balcony and outside every villa). I am fully aware that the rooms offered to us are substantially more than our original room however the original problem lies within the management of the hotel, I am not complaining that the compensation so far is inadequate. My point is you cannot move away from the smoke because it is everywhere.

Another example would be the smoking area outside the breakfast restaurant is pointless because the smoke drifts towards all the non smoking tables anyway. (But that is another discussion for another day)
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

sounds like your asthma is not a big deal if you turned down two different rooms. Is the smoke
leaking into your room when the windows/doors are closed?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am fully aware that the rooms offered to us are substantially more than our original room however the original problem lies within the management of the hotel
It sounds like the hotel attempted to accommodate you, but you turned down the options they offered. Not sure what you think they should do.
Rifleman69 and TerryK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.