Rate Less When Book Using One Guest vs Two

Old Aug 3, 19, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Rate Less When Book Using One Guest vs Two

I was checking rates at the W Fort Lauderdale and accidentally input one guest instead of the needed two guests.

The rate for one guest was $50 cheaper for a two night stay!

Is there any reason I shouldn't just book the one person rate? We'll only need one key.

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 19, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by milemonkey View Post
Is there any reason I shouldn't just book the one person rate?
It's your decision whether you want to commit fraud or not.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:04 pm

Is it a package rate with inclusions?
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
...And on your tolerance for your partner being pulled up by security for a discussion about how they know you and what they are doing in the hotel.
Old Aug 3, 19, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
One of the few advantages that Hiltonís Honors program has over Marriott is that there is no extra charge for a 2nd person. I doubt if you will get hassled unless the 2nd person wants to get the breakfast benefit too or you want some other extra benefit like going to the spa (assuming they have a spa). Considering what some people try to get away with on FT, your situation is pretty minor.
Kacee and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by HookEm View Post
Considering what some people try to get away with on FT, your situation is pretty minor.
I sometimes mistakenly book for 1 rather than 2 b/c the website/app changes my default to 1 all by itself. Never had a problem telling them at check-in there are two guests.
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post

...And on your tolerance for your partner being pulled up by security for a discussion about how they know you and what they are doing in the hotel.
I think people are being overly dramatic here. In NA, Iím not aware of hotels that charge more for 2 people than 1 person unless breakfast is included. (I know Japan and some European hotels charge a premium.)

I almost always book for 2 people even when Iím traveling alone. Am I committing fraud too?
Old Aug 3, 19, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post

I think people are being overly dramatic here. In NA, Iím not aware of hotels that charge more for 2 people than 1 person unless breakfast is included. (I know Japan and some European hotels charge a premium.)

I almost always book for 2 people even when Iím traveling alone. Am I committing fraud too?
I checked in as two people at a Courtyard last week to get $20/day instead of $10.
Old Aug 3, 19, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
I checked in as two people at a Courtyard last week to get $20/day instead of $10.
I'm a gemini, and thus view this as totally legit.
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
For shame! LOL

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'm a gemini, and thus view this as totally legit.
Well then, youíre allowed.

(Iíve received double welcome drinks, double cupcakes, double breakfast allowance. Hangs head in shame.)
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
In NA, I’m not aware of hotels that charge more for 2 people than 1 person unless breakfast is included.
The OP named one, and the Sheraton Petaluma is another (and has been for years). Now you are aware of two. I'm sure there are many more.

almost always book for 2 people even when I’m traveling alone. Am I committing fraud too?
If you are lying for financial gain (which you have admitted to in the post above), absolutely. That's the very definition of fraud.

fraud /frŰd/ : noun : wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 3, 19 at 6:18 pm Reason: Added dictionary definition
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Seriously? Do you even know what the laws of Florida are in regards to fraud? Its not even close.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey View Post
Do you even know what the laws of Florida are in regards to fraud? Its not even close.
Whether it's a criminal offence or not doesn't matter. Fraud is fraud. Apparently you don't even know the definition. See my post above.

You've obviously already made up your mind to defraud the hotel, so why did you even bother to start this thread?

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 3, 19 at 7:20 pm
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Fraud is fraud... You've obviously already made up your mind to defraud the hotel.
Try breathing once in a while.

The melodramatics above aside, itís fine in North America. I just checked out of a hotel with an occupancy of 4, with only 2 on the reservation. Unless you upset the FDA, and theyíre strict as can be, thereís very little chance something is done.
schley, Kacee and Toukolou like this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Book as one. Check in as two. The onus is on the hotel to adjust your rate accordingly.
Toukolou likes this.

Search this Thread