Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Any point complaining about hotels not honoring benefits anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any point complaining about hotels not honoring benefits anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by swag
There's no such thing as a Springhill Resort or a Courtyard Convention hotel.
I'm quite surprised that the Courtyard at LA Live is not considered a convention hotel.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rylan
In typical Marriott fashion there is no indication of what counts as a 'convention' or 'resort' hotel.
Marriott.com makes it easy to know whether a property is a Resort or a Hotel. At the hotel website for each property, a line at the top ends with Resort or Hotel. You don't even have to go to a different part of Marriott.com.

For example, looking at two properties near Walt Disney World:

Orlando World Center Marriott
Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Orlando / Resort

Delta Hotels Orlando Lake Buena Vista
Marriott.com / Delta Hotels and Resorts / Orlando / Hotel
KRSW and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have hated how properties-and corporate-tends to respond to these situations. They set the benefits and the rules. When we want to play by them, its a problem. "No 4:00 checkout" "We aren't doing the ultimate reservation guarantee, you have to talk to the MGR he's not here until tonight" the list can go on. That's not how its supposed to work.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Lurker participation is a great help (and really the only means we have, outside from those few w/particularly good Ambassadors), but compared to say, legacy Starwood, I don't think Marriott truly cares as much about holding properties' feet to the fire when it comes to actually honoring the posted benefits.

Part of it is global size & scope (a monopolist mindset), part of it is corporate arrogance slash apathy, part of it is a mindset to reduce costs to property owners.

Marriott is Too Big to Truly Care.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Do the T&C's specify when you need to request the late check-out? Just wondering if there's a requirement to ask at check-in. I know the app asks for your arrival time when you use the app to check-in, but I don't think it asks for your checkout time. I was at the Westin St Francis San Francisco last week, and prior to my visit I got an email from their management thanking me for booking and asking if I would need an early check-in or late check-out. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to send an email ahead of your stay to tell them you'll need a late checkout.

Do the T&C's say that you specifically have to ask or do you just get to assume you get the 2pm/4pm checkout? If so, what if you leave your stuff in the room with the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, then show up at the front desk just before your particular late checkout time? If they try charging you for another night, couldn't you contest it? Or do you risk having your bags, etc. removed from the room in spite of the benefit? Actually, as I write this I realize that the hotel is going to program your key for the normal checkout time, so maybe you have to force the issue before then anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Definitely complain. Marriott should give us what it has promised.

In case anyone thinks this is a DYKWIA move: years ago, I didn't know who I was. I was just a guy who stayed in whatever motel/hotel had a "vacancy" sign outside. Then Marriott's marketing people began telling me if I stayed with them, I'd be Elite. Nice, and intentional, choice of words. Marriott's marketing people promised all sorts of good things and showed me lots of pictures of hotels in Europe, Asia, Hawaii, etc. that I could have with my points. They spent a lot of time telling me how special I am.

Am I really special, or are they doing this out of the goodness of their hearts? No, of course not. They're doing this because when I was "nobody", I'd show up in a place like Allentown and spend $39.99 on a random motel and not even remember its name. Marriott would prefer that I spend $89 on their motel, which has a brand name, some degree of consistency to it, and all the trappings of being an Elite member.

You could extent the logic to city hotels, resorts, or luxury hotels, but in most parts of the world you'll pay a premium for a Marriott brand vs. a hotel that does not have a marketing department telling guests that they're elite. (Possible exception at the very top of the luxury category.) Marriott selling us on being "Elite" plays into this.

So yes, I have picky expectations. Marriott's marketing people gave them to me. @:-)
estnet, cawhite, C17PSGR and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I had this issue at the Aloft Denver Airport and was given back my points (points + cash reservation) for the inconvenience.

After 400 nights, it’s to date my only complaint to corporate about a property.

The LM in Budapest (now a RC) tried this and I spoke to the GM. She was very apologetic and took great care of me on my next stay there.

In short, it’s a guaranteed benefit (that I value greatly) and one of the few that has no wiggle room so I’m aggressive about it.

Free breakfast? That can be gamed. Available suites? That can be gamed, etc. Guaranteed 4pm checkout? That’s pretty clear.
C17PSGR and KRSW like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:06 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Do the T&C's specify when you need to request the late check-out? ...
Kind of. Here is what it says there for Platinum+ members, "Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay."
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
Kind of. Here is what it says there for Platinum+ members, "Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay."
Thanks William. I appreciate the quick response.

Of course, taken literally, "...can request..." isn't exactly the same thing as "...can confirm..." but having this wording helps.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Do the T&C's specify when you need to request the late check-out? Just wondering if there's a requirement to ask at check-in. I know the app asks for your arrival time when you use the app to check-in, but I don't think it asks for your checkout time
For Platinum Elite (and above), the T&Cs have this:

v. 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit.
The mobile app allows a late check-out time (up to 4 p.m.) to be chosen during the mobile check-in process. I think it's safe to assume the mobile app skips this step at properties that are excluded.

In any case, a guest who wants late check-out must request it. Hanging a "Do Note Disturb" sign on the door until 4 p.m. does not serve as a request.

Whenever I've used the mobile check-in to request late check-out, the front desk has acknowledged it at arrival.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Horace
The mobile app allows a late check-out time (up to 4 p.m.) to be chosen during the mobile check-in process. I think it's safe to assume the mobile app skips this step at properties that are excluded.
In the past month using mobile check-in, one property had a yes/no late check out selection but no set time, another had no late check out selection at all. Neither was a resort/convention hotel.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've seen very different options as far as late check-out goes as well. Most of my stays are city hotels that have a few meeting rooms, but none are attached to the city's major convention centers nor have the ability to host anything large enough to be considered a "convention". And they're definitely not resorts.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by pinniped
... whatever motel/hotel had a "vacancy" sign outside.
That's it! We should bring back the red, neon VACANCY signs! They'd be particularly cool at LC, StR and RC properties, don't you think? That would be great!!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's it! We should bring back the red, neon VACANCY signs! They'd be particularly cool at LC, StR and RC properties, don't you think? That would be great!!
Make sure to include the "Free Cable TV" sign as well.

In all seriousness, I'm kind of surprised that the Moxy brand hasn't worked the vacancy sign into its design. That would be kind of cool...assuming it was actually integrated to the reservation system.
ryw likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Definitely complain. Marriott should give us what it has promised.

In case anyone thinks this is a DYKWIA move: years ago, I didn't know who I was. I was just a guy who stayed in whatever motel/hotel had a "vacancy" sign outside. Then Marriott's marketing people began telling me if I stayed with them, I'd be Elite. Nice, and intentional, choice of words. Marriott's marketing people promised all sorts of good things and showed me lots of pictures of hotels in Europe, Asia, Hawaii, etc. that I could have with my points. They spent a lot of time telling me how special I am.

Am I really special, or are they doing this out of the goodness of their hearts? No, of course not. They're doing this because when I was "nobody", I'd show up in a place like Allentown and spend $39.99 on a random motel and not even remember its name. Marriott would prefer that I spend $89 on their motel, which has a brand name, some degree of consistency to it, and all the trappings of being an Elite member.

You could extent the logic to city hotels, resorts, or luxury hotels, but in most parts of the world you'll pay a premium for a Marriott brand vs. a hotel that does not have a marketing department telling guests that they're elite. (Possible exception at the very top of the luxury category.) Marriott selling us on being "Elite" plays into this.

So yes, I have picky expectations. Marriott's marketing people gave them to me. @:-)
I think this excellent post by @pinniped might have have been overlooked by many who are reading this thread because quite a few posts appeared shortly afterwards, pushing it out of view.

I agree completely. I'm aware that almost everywhere I go, I could book a comparable hotel at lower rate, often in a better location and/or with a higher TripAdvisor ranking.

By limiting myself almost entirely to properties that participate in Marriott Bonvoy and routinely achieving 75 annual elite nights or more, I'm relying on the promise of Titanium Elite benefits published by Marriott to justify such loyalty. I have right to expect these benefits.

By and large, the properties uphold their end of the deal. I win. The properties win. Marriott International wins.

When properties fail to comply, they not only hurt their Elite guests, but also the reputation of the Marriott Bonvoy program and the competitive edge that the program gives 7,000 properties worldwide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.