Marriott.com using pop-unders

Old Jul 21, 19, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Marriott.com using pop-unders

I was just searching on marriott.com, and the search engine created a pop-under (with completely unrelated properties to boot). Pop-unders are an abomination, and it's sad to see Marriott resorting to such abusive tactics.
Old Jul 21, 19, 9:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I was just searching on marriott.com, and the search engine created a pop-under (with completely unrelated properties to boot). Pop-unders are an abomination, and it's sad to see Marriott resorting to such abusive tactics.
Iíve been getting these since I first had to start using Marriott.com instead of SPG.com. I assumed everyone had!
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Probably just another way they are generating some revenue with ads. Agree it is abhorrent.
Old Jul 22, 19, 8:55 pm

I've not seen any pop-unders but I heavily filter my internet. I remember back a few years ago Marriott, Hilton, and others used to have Roomkey.com pop-unders, but not sure if they're still using those or not.

Good: Ś∂bl0Ák Plus: http://www.adblockplus.org (FT censored the name, so I had to get creative)
Better: Brave web browser: http://www.brave.com
Best: Pi-Hole: http://pi-hole.net
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
The pop-unders I was getting not third-party advertising, they were for Marriott properties. Basically, they were pushing properties far from my search area. They must have changed their technology, because I previously had them blocked and they just started for me. Fortunately, I've been able to disable them using the "plugin that you are not allowed to talk about on FT".
Old Jul 22, 19, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
I'm starting to think the horribleness of Marriott.com is by design. Do they really have such a low opinion of their customer base to pull all this off? Or is their overall customer base that unsavvy to not notice or push back?
UA-NYC likes this.

Search this Thread