Tipping at Concierge Lounge

Old Jul 16, 19, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Tipping at Concierge Lounge

I'm usually underwhelmed at the offerings at a Marriott concierge lounge, which makes requests for tipping that much more annoying ( I know, first world problems). I was at a lounge in a Westin this morning (Chicago) and when i sat down after grabbing some coffee and toast, the attendant came by with a receipt with space to add a tip. So instead of a tip jar, you are now obligated to pay for a tip by filling out the receipt. Is this becoming common practice at other properties? Do you have to fill out the receipt?
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xychromosome View Post
I'm usually underwhelmed at the offerings at a Marriott concierge lounge, which makes requests for tipping that much more annoying ( I know, first world problems). I was at a lounge in a Westin this morning (Chicago) and when i sat down after grabbing some coffee and toast, the attendant came by with a receipt with space to add a tip. So instead of a tip jar, you are now obligated to pay for a tip by filling out the receipt. Is this becoming common practice at other properties? Do you have to fill out the receipt?
I think it might be preferable if the Concierge Lounge attendant rattled a jar with a few coins and a hand-printed label "Tips" in front of every guest.
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
They do this at the Sheraton in Montreal as well.
Fact is if I get some extra level of service I'll tip a few bucks...if not I don't even sign the thing...just walk out.
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
I have never once seen a receipt for anything in a concierge lounge. The only transactions that may occur would be honor bar charges right? In all of these cases there's just a little form to fill out and leave with the attendant.

The only thing I've ever seen are tip jars which are fine but honestly I don't really feel the need to tip in most cases. It's a self-serve buffet and I always take my dishes up to the tray and leave them there. If there is some real notable service of some kind that's one thing, however this isn't really ever my experience.
KRSW and JBord like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:22 am

From the title of the thread I knew the exact hotel you were going to mention.

I'm not sure exactly what the attendants do other than clear plates and wipe the tables down, how much should someone tip for that?

It's one of those things that makes you think twice about staying at a hotel the next time, I haven't actually been back to this hotel. I'm all for everyone being paid a fair wage, and I have no idea if these people are or aren't, but this is the wrong approach all together. It's just like tipping the housekeepers, I don't get it.
EuropeanPete and JBord like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've only stayed at a couple of Marriott lounges where alcohol was sold by the drink on request. Neither of them had any sort of generalized receipt per guest like this. If I encountered this situation, I would ask the attendant more about the why I need to sign for something that is free to all who enter? In other words: either they come up with a good reason, or make them squirm to admit that it is a tip grab?
mhy likes this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Are you saying you got up and fetched your own coffee and toast, but were still presented with a receipt to solicit a tip? That is beyond crazy if so.
JackE and mhy like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP 1K,Bonvoy Tit, LTG
The Sheraton Cavalier in Saskatoon has done this for years, although not all the Lounge Attendants use them. One is particularly aggressive in doing so. Just to "help you" it also gives you the cash equivalent ( if you were to pay) for Breakfast and for evening Hors D'Oeuvres. No alcohol except by order from the main bar, billed to your room.
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
I've seen this at:

Westin Diplomat (no longer in the SPG family)
Westin Resort Cancun (where they will chase after you if you leave the lounge without signing)
Sheraton Novi Detroit (I think)

There are others, but I can't think of them now.
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
I express appreciation for good service and tip better than most people, but not everyone merits additional compensation from a guest just for performing the most basic functions of their job. With a couple of exceptions, the only places where the service in a lounge made me feel like a generous tip was deserved were in countries where tipping is not only unexpected but inappropriate.
yjc281, flubber, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In the basic self-service lounge, this is ridiculous and offensive. I'd make sure management was aware of my opinion on the matter. Not that my opinion matters much, but if they get a steady stream of complaints, maybe they'll rethink the policy.

I've been to a few lounges with some form of table service or a full-service bartender where they were making cocktails to order. In that case, I'm fine adding a tip to a room charge. Odd thing is - in those lounges, I can't recall any kind of awkward request to tip. It was just a standard room-charge form with a tip line if there was a charge. No pressure to tip if there wasn't a room charge.
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:20 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PALT
Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
I think it might be preferable if the Concierge Lounge attendant rattled a jar with a few coins and a hand-printed label "Tips" in front of every guest.
I prefer the method below. It just shows so much more creativity and effort!
LAX-1K and mhy like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Yep, that was it. I was given an itemized receipt with 'concierge breakfast buffet $0.00' (don't remember exact wording), with space to add name, room number and tip.
I'll post a pic of it when I return tomorrow. Extent of attendants service was to bring me a bottle of water (I never asked for one but appreciated it) and then clear my plates.
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes it's the Westin River North
Old Jul 16, 19, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Obligated?"

Not.

It's just a tip line. This topic is covered time and again on FT, not necessarily in the context of hotel lounges.

Search this Thread