Wiki Posts
Search

Payment issue; unauthorized charge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Payment issue; unauthorized charge

An issue that seems minor, considering the amount of "bonvoyed" experiences. But somehow i still didn't like what happened.

I had two separate pre-paid bookings in Schloss Fuschlsee and Sheraton Jagdhof, Salzburg.

There was an issue with my credit card originally used for the booking, and Schloss Fuschlsee asked me to provide another one. I did that, by updating the card number in the corresponding booking (not in the Marriott profile!). They managed to successfully charge it. Good.

But in a while, Sheraton Jagdhof also charged the same card. I imagine they weren't able to charge the first card (since it was the same one i had used to book Schloss Fuschlsee), but i haven't received any email from them. The question is: how did they get my card number?

I suppose that both hotels are under the same management, or something.

Still, i have only provided my card to Schloss Fuschlsee, not to Sheraton.

Again, it's not a big deal, since i probably would have used this card anyway, but i don't like the approach. What about privacy? I don't store my card details in the Marriott profile and only provide it to a specific hotel to pay for a specific stay. I haven't authorized the hotel to pass my credit card data to another hotel.

Am i off-base?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by igor82j
......There was an issue with my credit card originally used for the booking, and Schloss Fuschlsee asked me to provide another one........Sheraton Jagdhof also charged the same card..................The question is: how did they get my card number?

I suppose that both hotels are under the same management, or something.............
Two properties are only a few hundred meters apart on adjacent ground. They share same management team and reservation office. They could have been flagged as one property with multiple buildings. I suppose they market them as separate properties so that elites cannot book Sheraton Jagdhof and demand upgrades to Schloss Fuschlsee.

Also, I don't know what kind of "issue" you have with your old card. Many card issuers, notably Amex, will still process charges against old card by known merchants even if you reported your old card stolen. Charges will be transferred to new card.

Originally Posted by igor82j
.........Am i off-base?
Yes.

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 11, 2019 at 4:45 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
In this case, it sounds like OP wasn't harmed ("probably would have used this card anyway"). But I agree it's bad practice to charge a card that hasn't been expressly used for the specific stay. What if OP had been close to the credit limit on the alternate card provided? What if the alternate card were a company-issued one, and the second stay was personal?
MSPeconomist and JBord like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have any EU data and privacy regulations been violated here?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Originally Posted by swag
In this case, it sounds like OP wasn't harmed ("probably would have used this card anyway"). But I agree it's bad practice to charge a card that hasn't been expressly used for the specific stay. What if OP had been close to the credit limit on the alternate card provided? What if the alternate card were a company-issued one, and the second stay was personal?
Exactly, that's my point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.