Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner, Virginia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Didn't see a thread for the RC at Tyson's Corner (surprisingly!) so I went ahead and created one.

Has anyone stayed here? How does it compare to the RC in West End, DC or the RC in Pentagon City?

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jul 3, 2019 at 8:07 am Reason: Removed apostrophe
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Didn't see a thread for the RC at Tyson's Corner (surprisingly!) so I went ahead and created one.

Has anyone stayed here? How does it compare to the RC in West End, DC or the RC in Pentagon City?
I've stayed here at the RC Tysons Corner as well as the RC Pentagon City. Have yet to stay at either the RC WDC/West End or RC Georgetown - folks like @bhrubin probably have more feedback on those.

Common similarity of the RC Tysons Corner and RC Pentagon City are that both are attached to a mall. Difference is, the RC Tysons Corner, there's a path/route that can go from the parking garage in/out of the hotel. No such luck at the RC Pentagon City.

Both hotels have a similar look/feel for the non-RC elite. I've not bought upto Ritz Club access at either hotel. I've stayed a few times at the RC Tysons Corner and would continue to go there.

David
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
I’ve stayed here many times, but never received any kind of upgrade. Expect to get the room you book. Hotel is attached to an upscale mall that doesn’t seem too healthy. They used to give titanium’s a $25 a day credit towards food which just barely covered breakfast for one. They just downgraded this benefit to $35 for the entire stay,

Very nice staff and gym. Location depressing but ideal if you have business nearby, can walk to the metro station.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Has anyone stayed in a Club room here? Some of the reviews have stated that the Club lounge food presentations are not good.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We stay at RC Tysons often. I'd say the Club offerings are decent. I've had better in Aruba, Laguna Niguel, but we love Tysons for a weekend getaway. Great prices. The staff is great. The weird thing is that the hotel doesn't really have full serve restaurants. We would often book the room on FHR for $250 or less, get $100 room credit and get room service breakfast. Dinner at one of the good full service mall restaurants. Its a really upscale mall.
DJ_Iceman and iluvdoco like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:24 pm

Has anyone had a post-COVID stay here? How was the experience been?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We stay at RC Tysons often. I'd say the Club offerings are decent. I've had better in Aruba, Laguna Niguel, but we love Tysons for a weekend getaway. Great prices. The staff is great. The weird thing is that the hotel doesn't really have full serve restaurants. We would often book the room on FHR for $250 or less, get $100 room credit and get room service breakfast. Dinner at one of the good full service mall restaurants. Its a really upscale mall.
I *love* eating dinner at The Palm there.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by bman1002
Has anyone had a post-COVID stay here? How was the experience been?
was there in October for a night. Was nice and occupancy was ~50%. Got the $35 benefit and ordered crab eggs Benedict and a pot of coffee for $50. Didn’t ask about the pool or gym.
bman1002 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:00 pm

Stayed in Feb 2021 for 2 nights. Excellent service. Rooms are small. Used credit card upgrade certificates to club lounge level. Food servings are somewhat limited but still good. As a platinum, received $30 per day breakfast credit that could be used in restaurant or for room service. They have great weekend rates. Made for a nice staycation.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:55 pm

Did a quick 1 night stay here. Booked on FHR. Received $100 credit(FHR benefit), $30 credit(what was this for?), $60(breakfast only credit, probably as a part of FHR benefits). Also received 1,500 points at check-in for something and this stacked with the standard 1,000 point welcome gift for a total of 2,500 bonus points. I did not receive a room upgrade as part of FHR. It's a lot of credits and points. I was only expecting the $100 FHR credit and beakfast. I managed to burn through the $190 in credits on 2 meals for 1 and some items from the mini bar. My base points seem to be some random number, not any sort of multiplier of the room rate.

No room upgrade, but nice view from a high floor. Whatever.

I ordered room service for both dinner and breakfast. Dinner was a filet steak and truffle fries. Filet steak was properly cooked, tender, and fitting of a filet, flavorless. Truffle flavor in the fries was a bit subtle for my taste. Other than the latte, the $60 breakfast was no different from something you can get at a diner. The most satisfying part of it was that butter for toast was the perfect temperature.

Staff was stellar.

I'm only a few nights away from qualifying for titanium and frankly I don't think it's worth anything over platinum so I'm done with Marriott for the year. I've never been upgraded to a suite outside of Asia without burning an SNA. So the supposed priority that titaniums enjoy over platinum for suite upgrades doesn't seem worth much then. I'm about halfway to LTP in both nights and years, and I'm still confused on the welcome benefits. On this stay, I received $30 and 2,500 points. I thought it was either 1,000 points OR breakfast. What was the $30 credit and extra 1,500 points for?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Cplusplus
What was the $30 credit and extra 1,500 points for?
There's no entitlement to a breakfast amenity at all at RC properties. But this property gives an extra credit for breakfast anyhow, which is what your $30 was.
The 1500 could have been the current promo, assuming you're registered for it. Or it could have been something from the property perhaps to make up for a closed amenity of some sort.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Stayed here a few times over the years, most recently about 3 years ago. Standard low-end RC similar to Pentagon City but with a more upscale mall attached. We booked a rate with breakfast and were unimpressed with the menu in the casual restaurant. Agree about the great weekend rates. Also it is IMO the best option in the Tysons area.

Would definitely stay here again if I am flying to/from IAD and need to be in Northern VA though probably not for downtown DC given the traffic, etc. Of course metro is an option.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
There's no entitlement to a breakfast amenity at all at RC properties. But this property gives an extra credit for breakfast anyhow, which is what your $30 was.
The 1500 could have been the current promo, assuming you're registered for it. Or it could have been something from the property perhaps to make up for a closed amenity of some sort.
RIght, but the kind lady at check in didn't mention that the $30 credit was for breakfast nor was it limited to breakfast items only unlike the $60 FHR breakfast credit. I didn't think the 1500 points was for the current promo, which I'm registered for. IIRC, in the fine print for that promo it seemed that that comes separately, a few weeks after the stay or closing of promo but I guess not...
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Cplusplus
RIght, but the kind lady at check in didn't mention that the $30 credit was for breakfast nor was it limited to breakfast items only unlike the $60 FHR breakfast credit. I didn't think the 1500 points was for the current promo, which I'm registered for. IIRC, in the fine print for that promo it seemed that that comes separately, a few weeks after the stay or closing of promo but I guess not...
Promo language typically says that, but my 1500 points have been posting with the stays.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:02 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
+1 my 1500 points have been posting with the stays.

--Jon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.