Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Are Properties Deliberately Shorting Your Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

After coming back from India recently, I noticed that on one stay where after taxes and alcohol were removed the bill would have been about $150, and the base points posted as 67 - that's 67 points, not $67 worth of points.

This prompted me to look at other recent stays - my other two stays in India were 50%-60% short of what they should have been. A stay in Asia hadn't posted the bonus points on the rate I booked. A few others were 20% short.

The Twitter team sorted it for me, but it still took me a good few hours to sift through, dig out my invoices (which of course don't appear online), work it all out manually, etc.

So, have I been unlucky or is this something deeper? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who regularly experiences this, as if it's widespread - which would imply it's intentional - there's a serious issue to be addressed here.

Unfortunately I've only got the invoices to go back through my past 8 or so stays. Prior to that my receipts have all gone off to accounting, so I've no idea if those are incorrect or not.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread shows property doesn't always post incorrect number of points on purpose.

Millions of points, out of the blue.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:51 am

Hasn't the working hypothesis in the past been that this is likely due to local currency conversion issues, not a grand evil conspiracy?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Hasn't the working hypothesis in the past been that this is likely due to local currency conversion issues, not a grand evil conspiracy?
I've seen people say similar things, and for 10% I could certainly agree with that.

But my stays were well over 50% short on 3 of my most recent ones (3 different properties) and one of those was 95%+ short. Those are some pretty poor rates.

I'm just interested if others are seeing the same thing. Or if they even check - certainly I didn't until I noticed that one.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Hotel might :
post the spend with wrong currency
so member getting zillion of points (rp 15mill spends equal to $1000 hotel mistakenly post them as $15mill)

convert the already converted amount
above example rp 1000 is equal to $0.07
member end up with tiny amount
TerryK likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:02 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Strangely most of my stays posted correctly
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I've seen people say similar things, and for 10% I could certainly agree with that.

But my stays were well over 50% short on 3 of my most recent ones (3 different properties) and one of those was 95%+ short.
Why would only small discrepancies be logical? INR to GBP is about 0.01, to USD about 0.015.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:39 am

I believe they do with the platinum amenity. Marriott pays them if I pick breakfast but charges them if I pick 1000 points. Probably about 1/3rd of my stays, I'm missing the welcome bonus.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've had consistent problems with Asia SPG properties not crediting me for restaurant and spa. I think this is the result of coding errors that have never been fixed since the switch to Marriott.

Getting your points right is a very low priority for many properties.

Interestingly, I had StR NYC self-correct an error months after my stay.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I believe they do with the platinum amenity. Marriott pays them if I pick breakfast but charges them if I pick 1000 points. Probably about 1/3rd of my stays, I'm missing the welcome bonus.
Mine has posted consistently.

a few properties are hit or miss with posting MAGC. One in particular is about 1 in 3 stays. That said, they roll out the red carpet in terms of perks, upgrades etc. So I doubt it is skimping
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've tried to figure out some commonality with my points errors (potential FX issues, missing F&B, etc.) and I haven't been able to find any signal in the noise. I will often get between 10-80% of my entitled points, though curiously never more than 100%. I'd say I'm below half my stays being posted erroneously now, but not by much..
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I've tried to figure out some commonality with my points errors (potential FX issues, missing F&B, etc.) and I haven't been able to find any signal in the noise. I will often get between 10-80% of my entitled points, though curiously never more than 100%. I'd say I'm below half my stays being posted erroneously now, but not by much..
That's interesting. I may start keeping a simple spreadsheet that shows expected points vs posted points and see how that holds up.

It was more the fact that these sample stays were at different properties across the world where the only commonality was short points posting.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, A3 Gold, M&M Senator
I think about 90% of times I get less points than I should. My ambassador will fix it when I send the folio, but I feel this is very cumbersome for her and for me...
EuropeanPete, Antarius and KRSW like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I have 60 stays so far in 2019 with a mix of US, South America, Middle East, and Europe.

Because of the various posts on FT toward the end of last year, I decided to keep an excel spreadsheet. There has only been a couple of stays where I thought I might have been shorted a hundred points or so, so maybe a difference in $5-10 US.

I'm hesitant to post but, in contrast, its pretty clear that I routinely get more points than might be available under the T&C, from both legacy MR and legacy SPG properties. I'd guess that I'm a few thousand points ahead this year but its not material for me. Now ... if I could see my spend in Android .... I'd know whether this is rolling into the spend calculation too.

That being said, I'm sympathetic as there are posts on FT for FTers who have stayed at legacy SPG properties in Asia who seem to be not following rules. It isn't, however, a systemic issue. Could be that random auditors in India/Asia haven't been trained to code properly or that the properties are trying to saving some money.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
I had the same thing happen last year but with a $1,500 stay in Manhattan. I was credited points for $15 and credited $15 toward Ambassador Status ($20K spend Req.). My Ambassador quickly fixed the points when I reached out, but did not change the $ spend. The stay was in December, and my last for the year. I followed up but she said it wouldn't matter (I was at ~$19,850 with the incorrect posting). Of course it ended up mattering in February when Ambassador went away...

Long story short, make sure to check the $ totals once in a while if you feel like you will be on the threshold. At close to $15K already this year so surely wont matter, but last year I had 6 months off from travel and the $20K req. snuck up on me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.