Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

30-day cutoff for refund of points booking?

30-day cutoff for refund of points booking?

Reply

Old Jun 10, 19, 10:31 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,667
Angry 30-day cutoff for refund of points booking?

just booked a night on points as a placeholder for next week, and noticed on the confirmation email that itís non-refundable unless cancelled 30 days in advance

when the heck did Marriott establish that customer-unfriendly policy?
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:40 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,426
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
when the heck did Marriott establish that customer-unfriendly policy?
Marriott didn't establish the policy. The property sets the cancel terms. An increasing number are pulling this kind of bs.

It's really a good idea to read the cancelation terms before you book.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:30 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cockeysville, MD
Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Posts: 8,462
It depends on the property. I just booked a room in Aruba on points. 3 day cancellation. Knowing the property would help a lot. If its a place that wouldn't likely have many last minute bookings, they usually have tougher terms.
Mr. Vker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:41 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 12,833
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Marriott didn't establish the policy. The property sets the cancel terms. An increasing number are pulling this kind of bs.

It's really a good idea to read the cancelation terms before you book.
Hi,

And also to take a copy of your confirmation email in case the terms change after you book.

Regards

TBS
MSPeconomist likes this.
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:43 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,888
Properties have set their cancellation policies for as long as I can remember.

You simply hit one with a longer policy than most. Most likely reason is to discourage placeholder reservations. It serves a good purpose because, while you hold a room, another person can't book it. So, a zero-sum game overall.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:43 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,667
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Properties have set their cancellation policies for as long as I can remember.
You simply hit one with a longer policy than most. Most likely reason is to discourage placeholder reservations.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Marriott didn't establish the policy. The property sets the cancel terms. An increasing number are pulling this kind of bs.
thx, obviously the first time I’ve seen it
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
It depends on the property. I just booked a room in Aruba on points. 3 day cancellation. Knowing the property would help a lot. If its a place that wouldn't likely have many last minute bookings, they usually have tougher terms.
10 miles outside Omaha on a Monday ... there must be a good reason ... :/
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
And also to take a copy of your confirmation email in case the terms change after you book.
yes, those are on my phone; I’ve had occasion to refer to them a couple times (for paid reservations at non-Marriott properties, but the principle remains)

*****************************
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It serves a good purpose because, while you hold a room, another person can't book it. So, a zero-sum game overall.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's really a good idea to read the cancelation terms before you book.
to both
​​​​​​​thank you professors; may I please have another
jn in ca likes this.
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:51 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 40,426
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
10 miles outside Omaha on a Monday ... there must be a good reason ... :/
Yeah, the property wants to discourage awards. Seeing more and more of this.
Kacee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 10:00 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Posts: 1,072
Youíre booking during College World Series. Probably the reason for a 30 day window for an Omaha property. They have no problems selling rooms, Iím surprised there are points available anywhere closer than Lincoln.

I bet some of the cash terms are pretty rigid so people donít book and then cancel when their team gets knocked out and they go home... is this what you were doing?
Rd3, writerguyfl, cawhite and 2 others like this.
bigshooter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 12:49 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Posts: 3,797
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Youíre booking during College World Series. Probably the reason for a 30 day window for an Omaha property. They have no problems selling rooms, Iím surprised there are points available anywhere closer than Lincoln.
My first thought was that it was probably a special event time frame where the properties often have leeway to make booking terms stricter, and thanks for clarifying the likely suspect
writerguyfl and dgreen12 like this.
beachmouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 1:48 pm
  #10  
Rd3
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, WN A-List
Posts: 126
Not just Marriott--I have a points stay at Hampton Inn in New Orleans during July 4th weekend w/ a 30-day cancellation deadline--any high demand dates/locations seem to have similar restrictions on points stays.
Rd3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 2:12 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,086
Not just 30 days. I have seen 90 days and, for a non-Marriott property, completely non-refundable point bookings. The latter was for booking 11 months out. Yes, it is a good idea to read T&C before you hit "Confirm".
Often1 likes this.
TerryK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:03 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Posts: 5,984
I would think that the OP with over 12,000 posts on FT would have a little more sophistication than to give a thumbs down to people who suggest they actually look at the cancellation policy before booking.
Happy, TerryK, aaupgrade and 1 others like this.
lougord99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:03 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,667
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Youíre booking during College World Series. Probably the reason for a 30 day window for an Omaha property. They have no problems selling rooms, Iím surprised there are points available anywhere closer than Lincoln.

ah, that makes sense
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
I bet some of the cash terms are pretty rigid so people donít book and then cancel when their team gets knocked out and they go home... is this what you were doing?
nope, going to cheer on my son in the Formula SAE competition in Lincoln ... I need a rental car anyway, and airfares to/from LNK were on the order of $400 higher than to/from OMA ... 12.5k points was a no-brainer (cash rate was ~$189)
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:06 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,125
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
I would think that the OP with over 12,000 posts on FT would have a little more sophistication than to give a thumbs down to people who suggest they actually look at the cancellation policy before booking.
Welcome to FT.
cawhite and txpenny like this.
mahasamatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 19, 6:09 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,667
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
I would think that the OP with over 12,000 posts on FT would have a little more sophistication than to give a thumbs down to people who suggest they actually look at the cancellation policy before booking.
I would think that folks with over 39k and 40k posts respectively might consider an individual's posting history (and implicit travel experience) before tossing out desultory and pedantic and poke-in-the-eye replies, but that's just me ...
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread