Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

30-day cutoff for refund of points booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30-day cutoff for refund of points booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I would think that folks with over 39k and 40k posts respectively might consider an individual's posting history (and implicit travel experience) before tossing out desultory and pedantic and poke-in-the-eye replies, but that's just me ...
Yes, it is just you who do not read the terms of cancellation before booking the hotel - that is downright stupid because as everyone points out, the cancellation policy is set by the property although the program also has a minimum guideline, like 48 hours before arrival. However the ultimate policy is set by the property itself.

What do you expect others should say, when reading terms and conditions should be a given, when committing oneself to something, anything. Seriously?

It is such a shame that you do not know to check the cancellation policy before booking, then when others pointed out it is always better to make sure that before press the confirm button, instead of thanking the posters you chose to mock them.

On top of that, most would know during an event, area hotels often would make restrictive cancellation policy, so the properties would not be left rooms unsold during a period they could demand high rates when people can cancel within 48 to 72 hours.

The above is really common sense but of course some are very much lacking of such.

OTOH, you may still have a way out - that is to contact the hotel manager directly and then plead your case why you need to cancel, whether it is the truth or just a lie, as long as you can convince the hotel manager especially that your cancellation would free up the room for cash sale, may be they would entertain you and manually refund the points.
TerryK and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
thank YOU, professor pedantic :/
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So I guess his is just another venting thread where the OP doesn't really want an answer or advice on how to avoid issues in the future, just full agreement.
TerryK, Happy, aaupgrade and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Marriott didn't establish the policy. The property sets the cancel terms. An increasing number are pulling this kind of bs.
Perhaps in response to the growing number of people who book multiple properties and then decide where they want to stay much closer to arrival date. Oh, yes, people really do this! Just read FT for numerous examples.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would think that folks with over 39k and 40k posts respectively might consider an individual's posting history (and implicit travel experience) before tossing out desultory and pedantic and poke-in-the-eye replies, but that's just me ...
I didn't check how many posts you had before suggesting checking cancel policies prior to booking . . . not checking is such a rookie mistake, I naturally assumed you were a rookie
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Perhaps in response to the growing number of people who book multiple properties and then decide where they want to stay much closer to arrival date. Oh, yes, people really do this! Just read FT for numerous examples.
Yeah, I didn't draw the link to CWS, which is a very good reason for a 30 day cancel. Guess that's my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out so kindly
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So I guess his is just another venting thread where the OP doesn't really want an answer or advice on how to avoid issues in the future, just full agreement.
I know full well that I screwed up by not reading the details, and I freely admit that (even as Lifetime Platinum) I didn’t know that individual properties set their own cancellation policies ... I was mainly wondering if this was a Marriott policy change that I had somehow missed
Originally Posted by Kacee
I didn't check how many posts you had before suggesting checking cancel policies prior to booking . . . not checking is such a rookie mistake, I naturally assumed you were a rookie
no worries; a TOTALLY understandable presumption
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know full well that I screwed up by not reading the details, and I freely admit that (even as Lifetime Platinum) I didn’t know that individual properties set their own cancellation policies........
Individual properties set their own cancellation policies which often vary by time of year. Resorts typically have different policies by season while hotels often have different policies due to special events. If you check different dates for the same property, you will likely find different cancellation policies.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:26 am

I know full well that I screwed up by not reading the details, and I freely admit that (even as Lifetime Platinum) I didn’t know that individual properties set their own cancellation policies ... I was mainly wondering if this was a Marriott policy change that I had somehow missed
The above statement shows why the following statement is silly. Even people with tens of thousands of posts don't know everything...even very basic stuff like the fact that hotels control their own cancelation policies.

Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by TerryK
Individual properties set their own cancellation policies which often vary by time of year.
If that is really the case in the new Bonvoy world, then I think it’s quite an eye-opener for many here, particularly the ones used to SPGs (almost) universal, and well-understood award cancellation deadline.

It’s not surprising at all that some, no matter how seasoned, would get caught out by this. Not, IMHO, a valid reason to give anyone a virtual kicking.

I think we’ll all be checking the cancellation deadline more carefully in future.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott is now defined by its inconsistency, in just about every area - which is ironic as it always seemed to have the reputation of consistency to a T
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
If that is really the case in the new Bonvoy world, then I think it’s quite an eye-opener for many here, particularly the ones used to SPGs (almost) universal, and well-understood award cancellation deadline.

It’s not surprising at all that some, no matter how seasoned, would get caught out by this. Not, IMHO, a valid reason to give anyone a virtual kicking.

I think we’ll all be checking the cancellation deadline more carefully in future.
NO, it is not a Marrott/BonVoy unique policy or a new policy. It is a universal policy for all hotel loyalty programs.
Case in point, I have 3x one night reservation at Al Maha,a luxury hotel of former SPG. The cancellation of this property is 30 DAYS before arrival, regardless what time of the year. It makes sense because the property has only 36 units, in the desert. It cannot afford to have a 48 to 72 hours free cancellation policy.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott is now defined by its inconsistency, in just about every area - which is ironic as it always seemed to have the reputation of consistency to a T
Have nothing to do with BonVoy.

Checking the cancellation policy IS THE GUEST'S OWN RESPONSIBILITY. People dont want to read the Fine Prints. Then when the Fine Prints give them the truth, they vented. Just another perfect example that many do not want to take responsibilities of their own mistakes. It is always easy and convenient to blame others, esp the corporations, for being "user unfriendly". But the FACT REMAINS, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO READ THE FINE PRINTS BEFORE COMMITTING TO ANYTHING.
TerryK likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
Checking the cancellation policy IS THE GUEST'S OWN RESPONSIBILITY. People dont want to read the Fine Prints. Then when the Fine Prints give them the truth, they vented. Just another perfect example that many do not want to take responsibilities of their own mistakes.
once again, thank you Professor Pedantic v2.0

yes the initial post was a rant, but I completely accept that I didn’t read everything with the proper diligence

period, dot, end of story
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Happy
NO
Checking the cancellation policy IS THE GUEST'S OWN RESPONSIBILITY.
But the FACT REMAINS, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO READ THE FINE PRINTS BEFORE COMMITTING TO ANYTHING.
I’m not sure a vent is best countered with a rant.

The thread topic is this : compared with, say, SPG, who had a uniform award cancellation policy with a few, well understood, exceptions like the Al Maha, does Bonvoy have more hotels who are imposing (punitive) award cancellation policies ? Yes or no ?
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I’m not sure a vent is best countered with a rant.

The thread topic is this : compared with, say, SPG, who had a uniform award cancellation policy with a few, well understood, exceptions like the Al Maha, does Bonvoy have more hotels who are imposing (punitive) award cancellation policies ? Yes or no ?
The answer has no Yes or No - because same hotels can have DIFFERENT cancellation deadlines on different periods of the year, even just ONE DAY apart.

I have seen JWM Macau has cancellation of 2 weeks or more in the past during Chinese festivals.

I have had 4 current reservations, 2 different nights at Marriott SkyCity Hong Kong and 2 different nights at Renaissance Hong Kong - BOTH has a 7 days cancellation policy on one of the two nights booked there. The craziest thing is, the reservations made at the Ren Hong Kong are on consecutive dates, but using FN certs from 2 different accounts. One reservation has a 7 days restriction, the next night's is only 48 hours.

Once again, the policy from the program is the minimum time imposed but by no means a restriction on properties to set their own restriction as they see fit.

I slso would not call Al Maha's 30 days cancellation policy is a punitive one, but a rather acceptable one considering the size and location of the property.

If you assume all properties in the same program should / would have the same cancellation policy, then good luck to you, for you may accidentally "trip the wire" and still have no idea why - because you dont think each property can, and would, set the cancellation deadline as they see fit.

Here is another example to show you that other programs do the same, in terms of "punitive" policy.

I once made the same mistake to book Radisson Blu Aqua at Chicago on points and later when I changed the dates I forgot to check the cancellation policy again. To my surprise when I had to cancel the bookings, the points did not return to the accounts - turned out the bookings were NON-REFUNDABLE because it was in the Alternative Music Festival Lollapalooza period.Instead of having a X days "punitive award cancellation", the award reservation simply was NONREFUNDABLE regardless how long ago it was booked (the festival was in Jul or Aug while the booking was made in May). Had I known about the festival I would not even want to stay in the same area! I called Radisson program first, and the rep at first was just as shocked as me, then she found out the reservation was non refundable, as "first time I have seen this." using her words. I then called the hotel and the on duty manager was extremely understanding and accommodating. it took a few steps but they called Radisson program administration to manually refund the pts on the 2 nights booking made - A good pleading point was, it was to their advantage too because they could sell their rooms at much higher cash rates during the festival time versus being sold as award rooms. On top of that our profiles definitely do not fit the demographic of the Lollapalooza goers. The hotel management understood this was a genuine mistake made from our part - not checking the cancellation policy before making the booking. The whole process was very amiable and they went above and beyond to make sure the refunds were posted.

Bottom line is, during event time, whether it is a festival, a sport event, a conference, or even a Sun Eclipse, properties set highly restrictive cancellation policy, even outright cancel reward bookings when they sensed they could sell their rooms at much higher cash prices - this actually happened during the Sun Eclipse event last year at several states - and guess what, the state AG offices did not seem to be able to do anything about it.

So, consider you get some lessons here in this vent thread. Hopefully at least you should get the idea that it is NOT BonVoy unique issue, but across all programs - that the actual cancellation policy is set by the property as they see fit, for specific periods of the year. It is NEVER universal. Not to check it first is at your own risk. Hopefully you at least learn about this practice.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 12, 2019 at 4:12 pm
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Not unique to Bonvoy, but as others have suggested it seems to be more of an issue now. In 15 years of heavy travel, I’d only previously ever seen 24 hour cancellation periods with the exception of rare and unusual properties where you might expect differences (eg. the Maldives). Now, as others have indicated, it’s all over the show.

On cash bookings it’s even more random - often the flexible rate is not any more flexible than the prepaid one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.