Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Your Gold Elite Status Has Been Renewed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

I got an email stating: You’ve renewed your Marriott Bonvoy™ Gold Elite status by spending $35,000 in qualifying purchases with your Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card.
Problem is, I have done no such thing, not even close. Just logged into my AmEx account, and there are no fraudulent charges there. Anyone know what is going on? Anyone else get this?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Gold status doesn't mean much post merger.

I had enough spent on my Amex SPG to get gold. Then poof, they changed the rules from last Aug.. So last year my stays starting from Sept., with gold status, didn't get lounge access. Now I'm lifetime gold. Doesn't really give you anything.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Gold status is supposed to be awarded annually if you spend 30K per-year.

Originally Posted by amex.com
Each year if, before the annual reset date, you reach $30,000 in net purchases charged to your account you will earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program for a minimum of 1 year (unless you are already enrolled at that or a higher level). Account must be in good standing. On the annual reset date, the amount of annual net purchases resets to zero.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:26 pm
daq

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I got an email stating: You’ve renewed your Marriott Bonvoy™ Gold Elite status by spending $35,000 in qualifying purchases with your Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card.
Problem is, I have done no such thing, not even close. Just logged into my AmEx account, and there are no fraudulent charges there. Anyone know what is going on? Anyone else get this?
Yes I got the same email today despite very very little spend on the card (<$100/year probably). No idea why...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yscleo
Gold status doesn't mean much post merger.

I had enough spent on my Amex SPG to get gold. Then poof, they changed the rules from last Aug.. So last year my stays starting from Sept., with gold status, didn't get lounge access. Now I'm lifetime gold. Doesn't really give you anything.
I am aware Gold doesn't mean much. Still, it is better than silver, and if they are going to give it to me, I am going to take it.

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Gold status is supposed to be awarded annually if you spend 30K per-year.
35k. It's in the OP.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
So have you logged into your Marriott account to see if you actually have the status or if it's just a mistake email?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
35k. It's in the OP.
Your mail said 35K, the current offer from Amex is 30

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...canExpressCard
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:40 pm
JBD

"Your Silver Elite Status Has Been Renewed"

I received an email yesterday with the subject line: "Your Silver Elite Status Has Been Renewed".

And inside it said: "Hello again Your Card and status are renewed. You’ve renewed your Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card — and your Marriott Bonvoy™ Silver Elite status."

It baffled me as well since the anniversary date for my SPG AMEX isn't until August, and the card's expiration is in April a few years from now.

Could it be that they're finally getting ready to mail Bonvoy branded AMEX cards to those with SPG AMEXs, and that's what has generated these emails? Although that doesn't explain why the OP was awarded Gold status without the required spend. (I'm jealous!)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:05 pm
daq

Originally Posted by JBord
So have you logged into your Marriott account to see if you actually have the status or if it's just a mistake email?
I actually have the status when logged in.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
I have the status, but I was gold before. I don’t see where it says the status expires in my profile.

That’s not the card I have. I have the SPG AmEx with a $95 AF.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I got the same e-mail. I did not spend near enough to qualify for that, but it did make my heart skip a beat thinking that there may have been some fraudulent charges. I already had Gold through Amex Platinum anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

The OP is from the US. Why would they have the Canadian version of this card?
silverforumsurf and photaco like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:36 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We got the same gold e-mail yesterday. Not sure if we've hit the spend -- I doubt it since we are Lifetime Gold (I know, whoopie), and we generally use another card with better rewards for most of our purchases
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are already any number of these threads, so hopefully they will be merged soon enough rather than having multiple threads on the same topic.

Yes, AA is offering short-term "no strings" Gold, Plt. & Plt Pro to targetted people. Not a surprising marketing scheme as AA has a great deal of data on its passengers and can focus on people where building their loyalty may be worth it. Also worth noting that this costs AA nothing so the calculus is fairly easy.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Another data point for those who haven’t considered this but I recently renewed my Silver/Gold/Platinum Status and never received an e-mail or acknowledgement from Marriott.

I do have Gold status as a default thanks to the AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant card so I thought maybe that was it but considering I haven’t got recognized for hitting Platinum requalification which makes me think their algorithms are whack as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.