Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Dominican, Design Hotel - Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Cat 4. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...design-hotels/

"Designed by the renowned Dutch design firm FG stijl, this 150-room hotel's sweeping archways, high ceilings, and clear references to the Dominican Abbey that once stood on its site – just steps from Brussels' opera house – impart a feeling in which old and new Europe effortlessly meld. The dramatic, cloister-like feel extends to the guest rooms, which are situated around a quiet inner-courtyard.Situated around a quiet inner-courtyard, the 150 unique rooms and suites – ranging from 24 to 77 square meters – are sanctuaries of tranquility amidst the bustle of the Belgian capital. Most of the rooms feature a king bed, as well as complimentary WiFi, air-conditioning, minibar, safe, rain shower or bath, telephone, and flat screen TV. The Grand Place Suite plays host to a fireplace, a rain shower and bath, a Bose sound system, a living room, dining area, and large dressing room, as well as offering peaceful views over the property’s inner courtyard."
Old May 21, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Surprised there was not already a master thread for this property; lots of people in my circle have discussed or stayed.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Surprised there was not already a master thread for this property; lots of people in my circle have discussed or stayed.
What were their thoughts on the property?

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Had a one night stay in December and loved the hotel. Close proximity to the Grand Place, the Thé tre Royal de la Monnaie, la rue des bouchers with all its restaurants. The public car park was about 3 minutes walk from the hotel. The decor is very stylish modern/design as you would expect. Very good service from the front desk. Monastic music piped in the property.
As an Ambassador guest, was not provided any upgrade or benefit beyond the additional points (I know it is a Design hotel and that suite upgrade are not included).
Room was a bit dark for my taste but very comfortable if not a tad too small. Loved our stay and would certainly return on account of how beautiful and pleasant the property is and how central it is for all the sights I might be interested in.
It is also 3 minutes away from the De Brouckère metro station.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I’m surprised by it as well - I stayed at The Dominican a year ago and remember finding several helpful comments on FT, but apparently they were all from the Luxury Hotels forum. While PLT recognition was pretty much non-existent aside from a high floor and them having a room available for me after a redeye flight in from the US, I loved this property. The room was on the smaller side, but the bed was wonderful and service levels were also excellent. I won’t look elsewhere on future trips to Brussels. The street out front is a bit awkward in that arriving cars need to call upon arrival and have the barrier lowered in order to drop pax at the hotel’s front door, but it also made for a very quiet environment.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I stayed in a loft room a couple of years ago (maybe December '17). I booked and received a Loft room, which was interesting and comfortable, albeit a little cavernous when talking on the phone (ceilings were very high). Would not suggest this type of room if you have any issues with stairs. Very cool hotel in general. Had a great breakfast.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite
Not recommended

I had a very poor experience here. The common areas are grand, but the personnel was not very helpful or particularly motivated (perhaps it was late), everything took a lot of time and asking different people until one is able to help. The rooms Are below the standards I have experienced at Amigo (which I would recommend in Brussels) or the Hilton.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just had a great stay here - we had a nice loft room (see below - will echo Score8 in saying avoid this type of room if you have problems with stairs) and found the staff and the hotel to be fantastic. Breakfast is very good, with a mix of buffet and ordered a la carte items (the eggs benedict were great). The location makes it easy to get everyone in the old city by foot. I would definitely recommend.

geo1005 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Marriott Bonvoy LTP
Last week I needed a last minute room in Brussels, and decided to use points for the Dominican for one night. No upgrade expected, and none received. Although the check-in agent did ask me if I preferred a tub with shower, or shower only. The common areas are well kept and in-line with what one would expect from a Design Hotel. The room however showed its age, and everything seemed just a bit run downed and threadbare. Was fine for a quick one night stay where I just slept and check-out early. (For those that do not know: Design Hotel brand does not offer breakfast as an elite perk)
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, UA.
Any recent stay in this hotel ? I am debating between The Dominican, Brussels, vs Renaissance Brussel Hotel

Thanks!
Moon4fun.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Any recent stays here, feedback on rooms?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:39 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kumarshah
Any recent stays here, feedback on rooms?
My stay was in mid- june, no upgrade, room dark, breakfast subpar, location fine.
they privatise their lobby bar, so if it happen you don't have even access to it.

beware that to get a taxi or via taxi app to airport can be a real challenge in the area.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:44 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
My stay was in mid- june, no upgrade, room dark, breakfast subpar, location fine.
they privatise their lobby bar, so if it happen you don't have even access to it.

beware that to get a taxi or via taxi app to airport can be a real challenge in the area.
Thanks for the reply.
How bad is the room? We have a Deluxe room booked on points which it says is 258 sq ft, which seems like a decent size. For some reason, can only book base category room on points here.

Dark rooms seems to be a consistent issue with hotels in Brussels, Amsterdam and even Paris we are looking at. Windows being very small or non-existent.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Originally Posted by kumarshah
Thanks for the reply.
How bad is the room? We have a Deluxe room booked on points which it says is 258 sq ft, which seems like a decent size. For some reason, can only book base category room on points here.

Dark rooms seems to be a consistent issue with hotels in Brussels, Amsterdam and even Paris we are looking at. Windows being very small or non-existent.
I booked on points late August -- 100K for five nights. I actually liked this hotel. Yes, room was small-ish but adequate, esp for one pax. My room faced the inner courtyard, which was nice and quiet. Liked the ambience of the hotel, and thought everyone was friendly -- by European standards. (I travel mostly in Asia, so there aren't five people who have smiled and greeted you by the time you get to the front desk; but whoever was at the front desk was smiling as I entered and said hello or bonjour every time. Not bad.). The breakfast was also alright -- eggs made to order and coffee strong, as I like. There is a discount if you pre-book the breakfast at the front desk, which I did. (Eur25? 27? instead or Eur35.). The best part of this hotel is the location -- easy walk to the Grand Place, Bruxelles Central station, and the starting point for most tours. Booked a taxi (AirportsTaxiTransfers) and they were right outside the hotel, five minutes ahead of schedule. I would return, at the same rate, or up to around Eur200. YMMV, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.