Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

'Best' rates available online, but NOT on the app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Just been pricing up some hotels for next weekend and noticed something odd.

On the Bonvoy iPad app, for the Sheraton Heathrow, these rates for Sun 5 May, 1 Adult, lowest category room, I see these cheapest rates :

'Standard Rates' tab :
Member Rate £87
Regular Rate £89

'Prepaid Rates' tab :
Member Advance Purchase £78
Advance Purchase £80

'Package Rates' tab :
Member Rate + Breakfast £102
Rate + Breakfast £104

Looking online at the Marriott website, all of these rates are shown, exactly the same, but there are also two more :
Members Bonus Points in London, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking, 3000 Bonus Points per stay £75

and for a Club Room :
Members Bonus Points in London, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking, 5000 Bonus Points per stay £101

Same story at the Sheraton Skyline, where this rate for a standard room is shown online, but not on the app :
Members Bonus Points in London, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking, 3000 Bonus Points per stay £101

Over the road at the 'not a dump anymore' Renaissance, this rate is, again, available online but not on the app :
Member Exclusive Offer, includes 2500 Bonus Points per stay £97

Not sure whether it's intentional that the app only has a subset of the online rate plans, but it seems it's best to use online, and not the app, to secure the best deal.

It's an interesting LNF/BRG question when someone books the "best" rate on the app, only to then find there are better rates online.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 30, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the heads up. I don't use the app, but my assumption would have been the rates on the app & online should be the same. So thanks for letting others know of the discrepancy. And yeah - wonder how MAR would handle LNF/BRG in this situation!!

Cheers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you are booking using the App, you are missing out on miles or cashback from booking via computer.

I suppose the data points are nice, but hopefully nobody around here actually books through the App...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

It's an interesting LNF/BRG question when someone books the "best" rate on the app, only to then find there are better rates online.
It will be denied and I speak from experience. I had an agent deny a claim because she said there was a rate that was 32 Euros lower than the lowest rate I could find. Funny enough, she was the only one that could see it. See post # 697.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30966219
Old May 1, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
OMG are you sure?
It is is unbelievable!
I always book through the APP and often I don't even double check with the website rates! I could have missed a lot of great rates maybe.
I'll never book with it anymore, but please Marriott fix it!
Old Nov 27, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Dusting off an old thread.... Just confirmed that online rates are lower for the 3 reservations I booked today. The only reason I happened to stumble upon this was that I was searching for my AAA account number online and decided to book online afterwards. LA, Chicago and Miami... wow...
SPN Lifer and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Dusting off an old thread.... Just confirmed that online rates are lower for the 3 reservations I booked today. The only reason I happened to stumble upon this was that I was searching for my AAA account number online and decided to book online afterwards. LA, Chicago and Miami... wow...
That is a bit concerning since I pretty much use the Marriott Bonvoy App to book my reservations. The reason for this is that it allows me to use multiple rates (up to 5) that I am eligible for and allows me to search easily versus the website that only allows one rate at a time versus five different rates in the App.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador, AA Gold
This is partly true for me as well. But I have a theory: Double-check the rates you are searching for. Apps will cache the rate selection for the next time. If a new rate code pops up, your app may not catch it becuase it cached the other rates.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by NativePhD
This is partly true for me as well. But I have a theory: Double-check the rates you are searching for. Apps will cache the rate selection for the next time. If a new rate code pops up, your app may not catch it becuase it cached the other rates.
Going along with this theory, if the cached rate is lower than the true current rate will the lower rate stick?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.