Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Compensation for no A/C at Marriott Branded hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for no A/C at Marriott Branded hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by KRSW
Although, I do find this thread amusing considering the Marriott I usually stay in Alaska has heating and cooling available all year-round.
And is probably different than the system described by fastflyer, not to mention being in a different country

FWIW - put me in the camp of I wouldn't be happy if the a/c wasn't working & I would have gone to another property (assuming it had working a/c!).

Cheers.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I finally heard back from Marriott Customer Service. After reaching out to the property directly, the property is standing at their second offer of 12,500 points. According to my math, that’s 25% of 1 Night’s worth of points required for redemption at this property. Based on the prevailing rate at the time, that would be approx. $75 as compensation for no air conditioning during my stay.

I’m flabbergasted that Marriott finds this response acceptable. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can escalate?

Yes, I realize that the right thing to do at the time would have been to resolve the issue during my stay. I will reiterate that I was traveling with parents which made it difficult to leave, I spoke with mgmt several times throughout my stay and there was no resolution (there really was nothing they could do except put a fan in the room), and lastly I attempted to speak to a manager at check out to ask for compensation and I was told that no manager was available and they would have to follow up.

KRSW likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by globetraveler
I’m flabbergasted that Marriott finds this response acceptable. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can escalate?
Marriott doesn't care. You could email David Flueck or Arne Sorenson, but I wouldn't expect a response.

And absolutely flame them on TA if you have not already.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:12 am

Once I was checking in to their last room at a hotel in NJ and the AC is not working. Engjneering department was called and it didn't help. Given it was a one night stay, we stayed and logged another complain with the front desk the next day.

We eventually reached out to the GM after we checked out. I asked for a refund and he didn't response. I looked through the description of the amenities of the room and AC was listed. I then left a TripAdvisor review claiming false advertising of the room. Then the GM started to talk . He asked me to remove the review and then he can provide a refund. I removed the review and refund was given 2 days later. The whole ordeal took about a month.

In retrospective, I should have asked them to walk me. It just took too much time.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A refund conditional on removal of a Tripadvisor review is one step away from being criminal. What terrible GM behaviour.
TerryK, Twickenham, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A refund conditional on removal of a Tripadvisor review is one step away from being criminal. What terrible GM behaviour.
Most GMs are more subtle about it. It's definitely a violation of TA's rules, though TA won't enforce anything against its advertisers.

I've gotten good results from a bad TA review when other avenues have failed. The key is to not sound like an angry crank, but rather as reasonable but justifiably disappointed.
TerryK and strickerj like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by globetraveler

Yes, I realize that the right thing to do at the time would have been to resolve the issue during my stay. I will reiterate that I was traveling with parents which made it difficult to leave,
The hotel didn't force you to stay the entire stay - and I'm confused by the traveling with parents thing - you got the parents to the hotel - you presumably got the parents out of the hotel at the end of the stay - if the AC for you was so bad, you could have 1) packed yourself up and your parents and moved or 2) packed yourself up and left the parents at the other hotel. As Judge Judy has said - you ate the steak, you have to pay for the steak. You stayed the entire duration of the stay - it is on you at that point.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Originally Posted by Kacee
Most GMs are more subtle about it. It's definitely a violation of TA's rules, though TA won't enforce anything against its advertisers. ...
Yeah that's pretty low, and a great example of why I don't really trust TripAdvisor anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.