Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Guest checking in prior to elite member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guest checking in prior to elite member

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by weld3z
I'm from UAE visted most SPG and Marriott hotels plus other chains, this information is wrong.
It does happen:

But a legal system based on a hard-line interpretation of Shariah law often lands foreigners in jail for offenses that few Westerners would dream were even crimes.

Recent examples cited by lawyers include holding hands in public; posting praise on Facebook for a charity opposed to fox hunting; drinking alcohol without a license; and sharing a hotel room with a person of the opposite sex (other than one’s spouse).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/w...ates-jail.html
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that sharing a hotel room having only one bed with a person of the same sex can cause trouble too.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that sharing a hotel room having only one bed with a person of the same sex can cause trouble too.
No. That's perfectly normal. Anything that appears to be going on is just horseplay.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I had to do this once before as I was going to a conference so my partner would be checking in first. I called the hotel a few days in advance and explained it to them and it was okay when he checked in. I think calling helped rather than putting a note on the reservation as you are never quite sure if those are read/acted up on.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several threads about the same issue.
Plat: Spouse arrives first for checkin
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by sabdhabi
I have a stay coming up in Abu Dhabi. I will arrive late evening, but my partner who lives in Abu Dhabi will check in before me.
Originally Posted by sabdhabi
She’s not a local.
I have to say that I am the one perplexed here.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I have to say that I am the one perplexed here.
Without clarification from the OP, the only thing that I can think of that makes anything close to sense is that OP is interpreting "local" to mean "native" with respect to place of birth or ethnicity. In the UAE, of course, a majority of people who live in the country at any given time are expats.

(That being said, I have no idea what on earth that would have to do with the substance of this thread, the point remaining that the partner is Abu Dhabi based and thus could pop over to the hotel whenever made sense, rather than hanging around there waiting for the OP)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.