Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Strange Loss Prevention Notice Slipped Under Door. Anyone get this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Loss Prevention Notice Slipped Under Door. Anyone get this?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a bizarre letter.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't read anything into it. Typical marketing-speak for:

"This property is in a tough location with lots of student problems and petty thievery. We take it seriously and will pursue you if you trash the room or steal the towels."

Why on earth would you care (unless you've got some massive party planned in the room)?
bbbb and daloosh like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta, United
I would pack up my stuff, go to the front desk, ask for the manager, and check out. Tell them you are leaving early cause the note and the manner in which it was delivered made me feel unsafe at their property.
Tanic and hockeyinsider like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could have simplified it by just writing "Don't steal our stuff. We are watching you"
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Thinking about this .... I think its a polite way of saying don't have parties at our hotel.

Sort of like the polite notices at a W about bringing in coolers ....
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Often1
"This property is in a tough location with lots of student problems and petty thievery. We take it seriously and will pursue you if you trash the room or steal the towels."
Properties
(a) shouldn’t send this letter to elite status guests
(b) should up their insurance coverages instead of distributing passive-aggressive letters to any guest

I am sympathetic to properties in a tough location. I am not sympathetic to this property’s way of coping.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:03 am

Hah, this is great.

I stayed at this hotel ~3 weeks ago and didn't get this letter, but it doesn't surprise me at all. The property isn't really in a sketchy area--it's at the western edge of the UMD campus across from a neighborhood of single-family homes. The sketchy stuff in College Park is all near Route 1 clear on the other side of campus, and University doesn't get sketchy for a good mile headed west. If I were to describe the management in one word, though, it would be "clueless". No one seems to have any idea what's going on. Wrong room type, billing errors, you name it, they mess it up.

My guess, given the specific mention of packages, is that the front desk lost yet another one and is tired of people complaining about it so they offloaded it to security. One of my colleagues had them lose a package but eventually find it, and another FTer who stayed there had the same issue not too long ago.

I'm in this area for work often enough, but my one experience with this hotel was plenty. Do not recommend.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Hah, this is great.

I stayed at this hotel ~3 weeks ago and didn't get this letter, but it doesn't surprise me at all. The property isn't really in a sketchy area--it's at the western edge of the UMD campus across from a neighborhood of single-family homes. The sketchy stuff in College Park is all near Route 1 clear on the other side of campus, and University doesn't get sketchy for a good mile headed west. If I were to describe the management in one word, though, it would be "clueless". No one seems to have any idea what's going on. Wrong room type, billing errors, you name it, they mess it up.

My guess, given the specific mention of packages, is that the front desk lost yet another one and is tired of people complaining about it so they offloaded it to security. One of my colleagues had them lose a package but eventually find it, and another FTer who stayed there had the same issue not too long ago.

I'm in this area for work often enough, but my one experience with this hotel was plenty. Do not recommend.
There are several hotels that have packages handled by security.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this the conference center on the edge of campus that seems to be part of the university?

Maybe the GM wrote the notice and ordered that it be delivered to all Bonvoy elite rooms, but I wonder whether there's also a version for everyone else, with the employee who delivers them being responsible to putting the correct version under every door.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more effective to give these things to arriving guests at check in so that they get the "information" at the beginning of the stay?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
That's what your resort fee is paying for.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:42 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this the conference center on the edge of campus that seems to be part of the university?
No, that is The Hotel at The University of Maryland.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
No, that is The Hotel at The University of Maryland.
Thanks. I was trying to picture the property and its neighborhood.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by IggySD

Would you really?
I would. Really.

That seems a bit excessive for a meaningless price of paper that shouldn’t have caused more than a couple of seconds of wasted time and is easily tossed aside as mentioned above. I mean to each his/her own but if I were the GM I’d have a hard time not laughing at that response.
If the GM laughed me I'd be leaving. Guests are guests. Or at least they used to be when I ran Courtyards.

Others are suggesting here that the GM might have written the note. If so, then s/he should have signed it.

The note is bizarre at best, creepy and sinister at worst. It has no business being slipped under guest doors. As others have noted, if you want to emphasize security, give it to guests with the key packet at check-in. And for the love of God, have it written to make sense.
KRSW, Twickenham, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone familiar with the works of Robert Anton Wilson must wonder if there is an employee (probably disgruntled) who is channeling Markoff Chaney with that memo. It's an almost perfect example of his theory of subliminal semantic disruption.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by davie355

Properties
(a) shouldn’t send this letter to elite status guests
(b) should up their insurance coverages instead of distributing passive-aggressive letters to any guest

I am sympathetic to properties in a tough location. I am not sympathetic to this property’s way of coping.
Because "elites" don't steal or put holes in walls?

My guess is that they're just as happy to shed the "guests" who take offense at this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.