Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Some candid thoughts from a director of rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some candid thoughts from a director of rooms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by daniellam
In some locales, certain family businesses own a variety of smaller highway/airport properties under different flags/brands, as such they can demonstrate bona fide hotel management experience and insist that their own family members/relatives get hired as the general manager.
Yeah, a limited-service hotel in Podunk, Iowa but I doubt too many limited-service properties have a rooms manager or inventory manager. I think Marriott's standards are a little higher than Choice or Magnuson.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm not aware of many properties where a general manager allows the owner to work in any capacity. To my knowledge, Marriott doesn't allow a property to be operated by the owner or a third-party company unless they have demonstrated and bona fida hotel management experience. I'm not sure an owner who is also the part-time hotel shuttle bus driver would meet these qualifications.
Sorry to hear that so many are questioning the accuracy of what I had originally wrote - but I am simply reporting verbatim.

The property is a small one - and the staff are great. Their heart appears to be in the right place... which means yes - sometimes the front desk agent will also drive the shuttle bus. Everyone chips in.

Someone else stated it was unlikely the hotel ever reached capacity... but like I say, it's a smallish property... they may have contacts with other companies also... and special events also take place in the city too - so several times a year they are at capacity (although you won't be able to use your points if you book last minute!)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Sorry to hear that so many are questioning the accuracy of what I had originally wrote - but I am simply reporting verbatim.

This doesn't add to to the credibility of your initial post. Unless you recorded and then transcribed the conversation, or are a trained stenographer with proper tools while riding on the shuttle bus, you have not reported anyone's conversation "verbatim".
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It was all lost. I've been told that by managers at two properties. At SGS they've been trying to recreate it.
The loss of hotel guests' previous stay information is a big deal. Hopefully SGS can recapture stay information from the past. In the past (and hopefully the present and the future), SGS provided benefits after stay milestones. They provided nice upgrades for me after my 10th and 20th stays. Here is the FT link to what are/were the listed benefits for repeat guests at SGS:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28141055-post2842.html

In order for properties to reward repeat guests, previous stay information is necessary. Other hotels also offer benefits to repeat guests.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.