Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No-show charge for cancelled (and confirmed as cancelled) reservation.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Colleague cancelled a Friday-evening reservation at a Sheraton on the Thursday morning, and received a cancellation confirmation email.
On the Sunday (yesterday), she noticed a charge on her credit card. The hotel had, without any notification to her, processed her reservation as a no-show.
She contacted the hotel, who checked and told her that the cancellation had 'not reached them'. She's been promised a refund.

On the Friday, she cancelled a Sunday-evening reservation at a different Sheraton, and received a cancellation confirmation email. On the Sunday, she noticed that the reservation was still showing as confirmed on the website and on the app. She called the hotel to check this and to say she wasn't coming that evening, and was told she still had a live reservation. Hotel promised to cancel without charge if the cancellation email was forwarded to them.

Not processing legitimate cancellations and then charging guests as no-shows is bad, really bad. Way beyond 'noise'.

Check your cancellations carefully.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If this combination of awkward mistakes and unreliable customer service continues I can see the EU opening a case against Marriott in the not too distant future. Companies have quite a high duty not to accidentally rip off their customers or to add hidden, phantom or unreasonable fees.
Lizie likes this.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Mar 25, 2019 at 8:01 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Fed up with Marriott, I cancelled a stay at the St. Regis Istanbul for this week and next and switched to Park Hyatt (originally only booked STR, then later split it into 2, now cancelled STR completely aside from 1 night as one certificate). I cancelled on the APP and got a confirmation email of cancellation. The next day I was looking at my APP and noticed that the reservation was still in my upcoming reservations. I cancelled again. So far it is showing as cancelled. But I emailed the hotel manger of the STR directly saying I would only come for 1 night to ensure I have a digital/ paper record.

There must be another round of IT crap hitting the system. I really miss Starwood.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PSA: Always keep the original reservation confirmation email showing the original cancellation deadline and then the cancellation email until a couple months after your scheduled departure, just in case a no show fee appears later on your credit card.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Same thing here. Reservation for this evening was cancelled a week ago. Email with cancellation number received. Verified rez moved to cancellation list.

Received an alert from my credit card that the hotel processed a charge without card present. Also received a notification from Marriott reminding me to OLCI.

Just got got off the phone with both hotel and Marriott customer service. Hotel front desk says rez shows active in their system. I provided cancellation number and she agreed to withdraw the credit card charge.

Marriott CSR said she’s never heard of this. Agreed crazy. To investigate but call was dropped after she placed me on hold.

Tried to call my Ambassador... line went to vm. Tried to access general Ambassador pool.. transfers, rings once, says please hold then dead air.

This is ridiculous
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Segments
Same thing here. Reservation for this evening was cancelled a week ago. Email with cancellation number received. Verified rez moved to cancellation list.

Received an alert from my credit card that the hotel processed a charge without card present. Also received a notification from Marriott reminding me to OLCI.

Just got got off the phone with both hotel and Marriott customer service. Hotel front desk says rez shows active in their system. I provided cancellation number and she agreed to withdraw the credit card charge.

Marriott CSR said she’s never heard of this. Agreed crazy. To investigate but call was dropped after she placed me on hold.

Tried to call my Ambassador... line went to vm. Tried to access general Ambassador pool.. transfers, rings once, says please hold then dead air.

This is ridiculous
A couple days ago I was consistently getting the voicemail answer, call apparently transferred, about half a dozen rings, then hang up routine when calling both general ambassador (800 and 866) numbers.

What happens if you call the number for your own Ambassador (knowing that he/she isn't presently in office) and then instead of leaving a voicemail message, hit the button to be transferred to the Ambassador team?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A couple days ago I was consistently getting the voicemail answer, call apparently transferred, about half a dozen rings, then hang up routine when calling both general ambassador (800 and 866) numbers.

What happens if you call the number for your own Ambassador (knowing that he/she isn't presently in office) and then instead of leaving a voicemail message, hit the button to be transferred to the Ambassador team?
Same problem when calling my Ambassador direct, and then hitting button to transfer.

Call apparently transferred from my Ambassador line to general line, one ring, then dead air. Held on for almost a minute yet no one picked up nor did the system drop me. I hung up.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Colleague cancelled a Friday-evening reservation at a Sheraton on the Thursday morning, and received a cancellation confirmation email.
On the Sunday (yesterday), she noticed a charge on her credit card. The hotel had, without any notification to her, processed her reservation as a no-show.
She contacted the hotel, who checked and told her that the cancellation had 'not reached them'. She's been promised a refund.

On the Friday, she cancelled a Sunday-evening reservation at a different Sheraton, and received a cancellation confirmation email. On the Sunday, she noticed that the reservation was still showing as confirmed on the website and on the app. She called the hotel to check this and to say she wasn't coming that evening, and was told she still had a live reservation. Hotel promised to cancel without charge if the cancellation email was forwarded to them.

Not processing legitimate cancellations and then charging guests as no-shows is bad, really bad. Way beyond 'noise'.

Check your cancellations carefully.
This has happened to me as well at a Marriott. Interestingly enough, when I called the hotel to straighten it out, the clerk on the phone expressed no surprise or dismay whatsoever. I got the distinct impression that it was a routine situation.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yeah Marriott IT Everyone's online file folders are going to be full of back-up documentation re: ressies, cancels, etc, to provide as proof when stuff like this happens.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can those being affected by this obvious IT issue to verify

1) Are the cancellations going thru App, versus going thru computer?

2) Are the properties all former SPG properties or there are also Marriott legacy properties involved?

We need to narrow down the issues so we can play defensively, i.e. if the dropped links are due to App then we need to do cancellation thru a computer. If only SPG properties having issues, then we can conclude that the integration with SPG properties is still in flux on the App.
If both sides are having the issues, and all these cancellations are thru the App, then we can conclude the App is not reliable and better use a computer to do the cancellation. (actually IIRC reading in the past App confirmed reservation but hotel did not have records.)
For as much as the convenience it brings, App seems not as reliable as going thru the browser / website route via computer.

Please confirm the method you canceled the reservations, as well as the property being SPG or Marrriott.

Thanks a lot.
est-gratuite and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:20 pm

I had a case recently where I made a refundable reservation several months ago and when I went to cancel about a month before my arrival date, the Marriott website showed it as nonrefundable after 24 hours in one place, but with the expected 48 hour cancellation policy elsewhere. This is a legacy MR property and everything was done on the full Marriott website on my desktop PC (not apple) in google Chrome.

This is the place that put a $1 charge (yes, an actual charge, not just a pre-authorization and not a pending charge) through on my credit card (a couple months after I made the reservation) and then cancelled the $1 charge a couple days later. I noticed it when I got the $1 credit email from AmEx. It was not just a credit authorization.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Not sure if it was your colleague, but I overheard someone in the Sheraton Heathrow lounge last night on the phone with a hotel for the exact same reason.

If it wasn’t your colleague, seems to be quite a common complaint.....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Hey it is a new system. I cannot see any of my future reservations give them a chance to get the bugs out
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Gadot
Hey it is a new system. I cannot see any of my future reservations give them a chance to get the bugs out
It should be observed that quoting from the Boeing PR playbook is sternly frowned upon in this forum.
lougord99, jupper, cre95 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Gadot
They've had 8 months to get the bugs out - and bugs like these are eating up available credit of their customers, not to mention requiring said customers to waste their time trying to get it sorted.

Cheers.
cawhite, lougord99, cre95 and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.