Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by LDUB
What would happen if a guest checks out early on a points stay? Given the logic of the penalty for the late arrival, couldn't the property do the same if the guest checked out a day early on a points stay?
If I were in that situation, I would ask the front desk if there was an early departure penalty. If the answer was yes, then I would put the Do Not Disturb sign out when I left. Then I could call the hotel on the morning of the actual date of departure to let them know that I had left the Do Not Disturb sign out, but I had vacated the room.
LPCJr and kennycrudup like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gadot
I understand and you explain it much better. That is what the hotels are doing - following it up with the charge if no show. Apparently others don't understand that. thanks
I think it’s you that doesn’t understand. Hotels will typically hold funds at check in and then actually charge the card at checkout. This is why you can actually change your method of payment at checkout if you want.

It is absolutely not typical for hotels to hold funds on a flexible reservation before check in. And, at least with Marriott, it is not typical for a hotel to run a verification of your card (i.e., put a $1 hold on the card). I would know if a merchant placed a hold or charged my card without the card being present.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mysterym
it does not bode well for them at all that they are ignoring the problem. even if its a bigger issue, they should have resolved it for the op, even as a gesture of good will if the prop is refusing to cooperate
I don't know how the property could refuse to comply with Marriott, if Marriott wanted this resolved, since the property works for Marriott. Yes, there's an owner but the management works for the management company, which in this case in corporate Marriott.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't know how the property could refuse to comply with Marriott, if Marriott wanted this resolved, since the property works for Marriott. Yes, there's an owner but the management works for the management company, which in this case in corporate Marriott.
how does the property work for marriott? the property uses marriott's management services so i think marriott actually works for the property?

the contract may dictate how things are to be handled and we dont have a copy of the contract between marriott and the property

that is why i was suggesting that if marriott didnt have the power to issue a refund or resolve the matter, then they could perhaps issue something out of good will but perhaps the hotel some how has a gag order on marriott?

this is all speculation but no matter which way you slice it, the issue being ignored is not good and only makes it look worse.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
"Rate Details

Redemption, non-refundable if cancelled less than 60 days before arrival, eCertificate required prior to check in

Additional Information
  • For detailed information regarding property category level and
  • other Redemption information please visit the property online
  • at www.marriott.com.Thank You
Holding Your Reservation
  • We will need a credit card number to reserve your room 60 days before your expected arrival.
Cancelling Your Reservation
  • You may cancel your reservation for no charge until November 17, 2019 (60 day[s] before arrival).
Modifying Your Reservation
  • Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change."
The cancellation policy that appears on Marriott's website before and after making a reservation at the St. Regis Aspen is shown above. Regardless of what is mentioned elsewhere or in an email sent after the reservation is made, I don't believe the level of disclosure here matches the potential penalty.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes.

If that fact is disclosed in the contract between the guest and the property.
I’m skeptical. Although unilateral contract modifications might be allowed, I can’t imagine that one that has cost implications would be allowable. So if a contract says guest will pay $X for Y, with a clause that says generally the terms might change, Marriott can simply change the contract such that guest will pay $N for Y, without guest’s subsequent agreement?

Also, even if such a unilateral change were allowed, where was OP informed that the cancellation fee (or a 1-night fee) would be charged for a delayed arrival? That is still what bugs me about this case. There may be an unstated rule that a guest with a multi-day reservation is considered a no show if they don’t show up by noon of the following day, but nowhere is that stated. And in this case, OP wasn’t really charged the cancellation fee but rather a one-night charge. Where is that stated?
Twickenham likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mysterym
how does the property work for marriott? the property uses marriott's management services so i think marriott actually works for the property?

the contract may dictate how things are to be handled and we dont have a copy of the contract between marriott and the property

that is why i was suggesting that if marriott didnt have the power to issue a refund or resolve the matter, then they could perhaps issue something out of good will but perhaps the hotel some how has a gag order on marriott?

this is all speculation but no matter which way you slice it, the issue being ignored is not good and only makes it look worse.
We are only presuming without the contract, but hotel owner hires Marriott to manage. As we've seen with other properties, if the owner decides to show Marriott the door the hotel de-flags and also locks out the management company. I'm sure there is someone here who can speak more intelligently about this than me, but Marriott manages a property according to its standards, not the owner's standards.

Anecdotally, it should come as no surprise then that the worst offending properties are not Marriott-managed. I've never had a bad stay at a Marriott-managed property. Yes, I've had issues but they have always been addressed and rectified in a satisfactory manner.

As I have repeatedly since, Marriott's inconsistency and much of its woes in delivering promised benefits is a result of Marriott not managing most of its full-service properties. Hyatt is 100% better because it manages almost all of its full-service, high-end properties. Even Hilton manages a greater percentage than Marriott.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
We are only presuming without the contract, but hotel owner hires Marriott to manage. As we've seen with other properties, if the owner decides to show Marriott the door the hotel de-flags and also locks out the management company. I'm sure there is someone here who can speak more intelligently about this than me, but Marriott manages a property according to its standards, not the owner's standards.

Anecdotally, it should come as no surprise then that the worst offending properties are not Marriott-managed. I've never had a bad stay at a Marriott-managed property. Yes, I've had issues but they have always been addressed and rectified in a satisfactory manner.

As I have repeatedly since, Marriott's inconsistency and much of its woes in delivering promised benefits is a result of Marriott not managing most of its full-service properties. Hyatt is 100% better because it manages almost all of its full-service, high-end properties. Even Hilton manages a greater percentage than Marriott.
The management v ownership issue should be extremely simple:
-if you own a hotel, and want a Marriott flag, you MUST let Marriott manage EVERYTHING
-otherwise, you can go it on your own
-Marriott (as well as IHG and Hyatt) has a tendency to kow tow to premium properties, but this practice is not good IMO
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
The management v ownership issue should be extremely simple:
-if you own a hotel, and want a Marriott flag, you MUST let Marriott manage EVERYTHING
This is 100% incorrect. Hotel owners are franchisees of Marriott. They can whom they wish to manage their properties. The 3 most common types of management are 1- Owner/Operator 2-Thrid Party Managagment (the most common) and 3- Brand Managed. Marriott the franchiser sets the brand standards but nothing else related to the management of the hotel.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy

This is 100% incorrect. Hotel owners are franchisees of Marriott. They can whom they wish to manage their properties. The 3 most common types of management are 1- Owner/Operator 2-Thrid Party Managagment (the most common) and 3- Brand Managed. Marriott the franchiser sets the brand standards but nothing else related to the management of the hotel.
While I only work on the periphery of this space, I have enough --on the ground-- experience to state that management companies generally despise overreaching owners.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes.

If that fact is disclosed in the contract between the guest and the property.
Sorry, that is incorrect.
margarita girl and UA-NYC like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:37 am

Is there a resolution on this yet? I'd imagine this should have been sorted by now.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
In message 1 the OP said that the hotel manager told him that had he checked in via the app, he could have avoided this. The property also could have checked him in, but instead chose to process this in such a way that would incur an additional $1000 for the hotel. Given that, have I misstated or misunderstood anything?
As I stated earlier if he really did check in before the noon cut-off then he is correct. If it was afterwards, he was lucky they still gave him the room and had not rented to someone else. As I read the OP, he did not state what time he checked in
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I guess you are saying a company can have any terms as long as they document them.

I have a big problem with these terms. I pre-paid for the room with points. I fully understand that if I cancel after the cancellation date, I will lose the points.

But why would a hotel then charge me $899 if I don't come, and nothing if I come. If I cancel they keep the points and can easily re-sell the room. This makes no sense to me at all. I have no idea how you can think this is ok.
When I said I was OK with the terms, it didn't mean I like them. I think it's a draconian policy and I wouldn't book a hotel with such terms. But at least it's disclosed up front so prospective guests can make their own risk/reward decision.

Your question which I've bolded has been discussed by many others upthread - the hotel doesn't get paid for the room by Marriott if the guest doesn't arrive. Perhaps Marriott should change the policy and consider points reservations fully prepaid, with no refunds of the points allowed, and the hotel gets the negotiated points reimbursement. But then we'd have FlyerTalk posts about the new draconian non-refundable points policy. I don't know what the answer to this problem is. But to reiterate, I DEFINITELY don't agree with the current practice of this hotel which is to change the terms by disclosing a punitive cancellation penalty after a confirmed booking.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by margarita girl
So you think that changing the rules AFTER a reservation has been made/confirmed will stand up in a court of law?
MG:
1) The confirmation email notes the charge - is that not the confirmation you note above?
2) SPGs rules as of 10/2014 clearly state that a "late cancelation" will be charged $ - but he can challenge. Marriott does not allow the challenge as their hotels don't get paid.

Starwood Awards Rules Oct 15, 2014:
If an SPG Member fails to cancel a guaranteed SPG Award reservation within the permitted cancellation time, the SPG Participating Hotel will charge the applicable cancellation fee to the credit card provided by the SPG Member at the time the reservation was made and the Starpoints that had been redeemed will be re-deposited into the SPG Member’s account. For Free Night Awards only, an SPG Member may request a refund of the applicable cancellation fees charged by forfeiting the portion of the Starpoints that he/she had redeemed for the SPG Award necessary to cover the applicable cancellation fees by emailing his/her request to [email protected] no later than 60 days after the reservation arrival date, provided that the SPG Member has adequate Starpoints in his/her account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.