Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Trying to change [shorten] an award stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT

I have an awards day booked for five nights. I want to amend it and only stay for three nights. Unfortunately, I can’t rebook it, so canceling and rebooking is it in action. I called reservations, it was called the hotel, and the hotel says they can’t do it. Is this correct? They say they can’t change it because they don’t have a new room to put me in, but I already have a room. I’ve asked for revenue management to take a look at it. Anything else I can do?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976

I have an awards day booked for five nights. I want to amend it and only stay for three nights. Unfortunately, I can’t rebook it, so canceling and rebooking is it in action. I called reservations, it was called the hotel, and the hotel says they can’t do it. Is this correct? They say they can’t change it because they don’t have a new room to put me in, but I already have a room. I’ve asked for revenue management to take a look at it. Anything else I can do?
That's strange,. I did that several times and never had an issue... but that was some time ago, maybe the IT system needs to allocate a new room first before changing the old reservation and if it is full, it won't work... just guessing how a change is implemented in IT...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alfahund
That's strange,. I did that several times and never had an issue... but that was some time ago, maybe the IT system needs to allocate a new room first before changing the old reservation and if it is full, it won't work... just guessing how a change is implemented in IT...
sounds like it. The hotel said they are working with revenue management to see what they can do. I'm not sure why this has to be so difficult. #SPGforever #Marriottistrash
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:50 pm

I have had this same issue with Hilton before with a paid reservation.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:33 pm

This scenario has nothing to do with new IT. It's basic Revenue Management. It's also not a Marriott thing. As Jaunts notes, it happens at other chains. All of them, actually. Additionally, hotels have operated this way for decades. I was a Revenue Manager during Y2K and we did this type of thing back then, too.

Revenue Management is about maximizing profit through the allocation of room inventory. It sounds like the hotel (via their software) believes it has demand for a 5 night or longer stay over your dates. And, they don't believe they will be able to re-sell the nights you are trying to discard. Therefore, if they allow you modify your reservation, they will take a loss in revenue.

Or, they are significantly overbooked on at least one of your nights and it's in the best interest of the hotel to have you completely cancel your reservation.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
This scenario has nothing to do with new IT. It's basic Revenue Management. It's also not a Marriott thing. As Jaunts notes, it happens at other chains. All of them, actually. Additionally, hotels have operated this way for decades. I was a Revenue Manager during Y2K and we did this type of thing back then, too.

Revenue Management is about maximizing profit through the allocation of room inventory. It sounds like the hotel (via their software) believes it has demand for a 5 night or longer stay over your dates. And, they don't believe they will be able to re-sell the nights you are trying to discard. Therefore, if they allow you modify your reservation, they will take a loss in revenue.

Or, they are significantly overbooked on at least one of your nights and it's in the best interest of the hotel to have you completely cancel your reservation.
Thanks for the insight - I'm pretty sure they can sell it - it's during one of the city's largest festivals, and pretty booked up for most dates. If this is how they treat a 75 night platinum (don't even know my new status - titanium) who's stayed there 9 years consecutively, then perhaps I'll take my business elsewhere.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:43 pm

Thanks for the insight - I'm pretty sure they can sell it - it's during one of the city's largest festivals, and pretty booked up for most dates. If this is how they treat a 75 night platinum (don't even know my new status - titanium) who's stayed there 9 years consecutively, then perhaps I'll take my business elsewhere.

as much crap Marriott is throwing at its members with the integration, I really hope you will find another chain to fulfill your wishes. I heard hyatt is good. “Is this how they treat a 75 night platinum” hah!!

noise around the edge it is even though this happened with SPG prior to integration.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
My Ambassador has been able to shorten stays for me w/o push-back many times in the past, but that was with SPG where there was actually something called "customer service"
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:36 pm

What hotel brand is this stay booked with? Are you wanting to change check in / check out dates or both?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
What hotel brand is this stay booked with? Are you wanting to change check in / check out dates or both?
LeMeridien - trying to change both
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:27 am

That is what I suspected a SPG legacy brand while trying to change both dates. My next guess is it is not a Canada or USA location? With Marriot legacy brands in the past you could make that change and I think that hasn't changed under the new merged loyalty program. If the property refuses to make the change for you I think you are out of luck.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:46 am

did the category change?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the StR Aspen problem thread, someone posted some Bonvoy rules about shortening award stays. My *interpretation* is that you might be able to drop off the last night and get points refunded (but this would be fifth night free,no?) if you advise the hotel at check in, assuming that you meet any minimum stay requirements for stays paid with money.

What times are you actually arriving and departing? Could you use the first night as a way to guarantee that a room will be available for a morning check in and similarly use the last night to get a very late checkout? Of course, you'd still pay the same number of points, but still have an award room during a very busy and expensive period.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the StR Aspen problem thread, someone posted some Bonvoy rules about shortening award stays. My *interpretation* is that you might be able to drop off the last night and get points refunded (but this would be fifth night free,no?) if you advise the hotel at check in, assuming that you meet any minimum stay requirements for stays paid with money.

What times are you actually arriving and departing? Could you use the first night as a way to guarantee that a room will be available for a morning check in and similarly use the last night to get a very late checkout? Of course, you'd still pay the same number of points, but still have an award room during a very busy and expensive period.
yes, correct, the fifth night is free. I thought about arriving late, but unfortunately I'm arriving 2 days late.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Unless things have changed, with legacy Marriott one could change the check-out date without creating a new reservation, but changing the check-in date requires a new reservation (and cancelling the old one.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.