Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Getting reservations honored at old points rate? No response from Bonvoy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

Has anybody had recent success getting their old bookings prior to the new category changes honored at the lower rates? I read multiple data points from people who used points advance where a quick call to Marriott Rewards resolved the problem by either doing some manual adjustment or crediting them the difference in points to satisfy the booking at the higher rate. I called twice last week after meeting the old amount of points required and was told it would take few days for them to submit the inquiry to a different department. It's coming up on a week now and still crickets. In fact, one of the representatives sounded very suspect when I said in my previous conversations with MR, I was assured by booking would fall under the old rate as long as I made no changes.

Luckily I have a few months before I need to travel, but does anyone have any recent successes?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chongl
Has anybody had recent success getting their old bookings prior to the new category changes honored at the lower rates? I read multiple data points from people who used points advance where a quick call to Marriott Rewards resolved the problem by either doing some manual adjustment or crediting them the difference in points to satisfy the booking at the higher rate. I called twice last week after meeting the old amount of points required and was told it would take few days for them to submit the inquiry to a different department. It's coming up on a week now and still crickets. In fact, one of the representatives sounded very suspect when I said in my previous conversations with MR, I was assured by booking would fall under the old rate as long as I made no changes.

Luckily I have a few months before I need to travel, but does anyone have any recent successes?
Why is it an issue for you when you already have enough points and the new points rates don’t come in until 5th March?

On the issue of whether old points rates will be honoured using points advance if the e-certificates are issued after March 5th, we are awaiting clarification from the lurkers who are following up. This issue is already being discussed in this thread:

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

However, time is quickly running out....
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Why is it an issue for you when you already have enough points and the new points rates don’t come in until 5th March?
Because new categories and rates took effect on 8/18/2018
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Good luck getting them to verify anything from 8/18/2018 when the 03/05/2019 changes take effect. :-:
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:16 pm

Wow. I’m amazed that Marriott never clarified that at the time and we are going through the same thing again: lack of clarify, poor communication and uncertainty.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Finally got 60K credited
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by yorkboy24

Wow. I’m amazed that Marriott never clarified that at the time and we are going through the same thing again: lack of clarify, poor communication and uncertainty.
Never clarified/communicated what? Category changes were very widely communicated in August and they have been very widely communicated over the last several weeks.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Never clarified/communicated what? Category changes were very widely communicated in August and they have been very widely communicated over the last several weeks.
There is no need to jump the gun.

Whether points advance redemption bookings (without issuing the e-certificate because you don’t have the required points for the redemption, hence the use of the points advance feature), booked under old rates, will be honoured post 5th March (and on other dates in the future when categories change). The lurkers haven’t been able to get an answer on it but I know they are trying!

The points refund according to the post above offers hope?!

Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:17 am

Finally got 60K credited
Glad you got it resolved!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.