Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Fairfield Inn Ottawa Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Airport

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

135 Thad Johnson Private Ottawa, ON CA K1V 1A2

Fairfield Inn Ottawa Airport (6 Photos)

A new Fairfield Inn opened near Ottawa airport in November.  I have stayed several times at Hilton Garden Inn right next door.  I don’t recall staying in a Fairfield Inn brand hotel anywhere before so some of my comments below reflect my lack of knowledge of the brand.  My takeaway is that HGI and Fairfield Inn have different strengths so it’s good to have choice now.  

HGI and Fairfield Inn are the closest two hotels to the airport (1.5km) so they are the most convenient for a quick layover, the others being a longer shuttle ride from the airport.  Previously the only Marriott choice near YOW airport was a Residence Inn which is 6km away.  The Fairfield Inn shares the shuttle bus to the airport with the HGI hotel.  Last time I stayed at HGI they had a van without a trunk so luggage had to go in the very back, taking away limited seating space for customers and there was a sign warning guests that they would be limited to only one suitcase.  I did not have this issue this time around: an unmarked Yukon XL came to pick us up rather than the previous van.  

Room

I booked the basic king room and was upgraded to the 1-bedroom suite.  Both my original room and the suite have a sofa bed in addition to a king bed so you can sleep 4 people in the room.  The suite is more akin to a junior suite because the living room is not completely separated from the bedroom; there is a small wall on each side to mark the separation.  I would have been fine with the basic room which has a good size (42 sq meters) but I was glad to get the suite which is even bigger (53 sq meters).  At Hilton Garden Inn, Diamond members typically do not get upgrades even guests who have stayed there countless times, myself included. So Fairfield upgrading me on my first stay was a nice gesture.  

The HGI has stayed in good shape and also has a new wing with more recent rooms, but Fairfield is a new hotel so overall it looks more fresh and I prefer just about everything to the room.  Not only you have more space, but the bathroom is better thanks to the dual bathtub and separate shower, unlike HGI where most rooms have an old-style shower in the bathtub rather than a stand-alone shower. Both hotels have a mini-fridge and a microwave.   

IMG_2377.jpegIMG_2378.jpegIMG_2379.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast is one factor where HGI is better than Fairfield.  Fruits at Fairfield were very limited: only fresh cut melon in addition to whole fruits such as apples (HGI has lots of fresh fruits including berries).  Hot options were ok but nothing remarkable. There is no table service at Fairfield unlike HGI where you can get made-to-order omelets for example.  The overall feeling at Fairfield for breakfast is “cheap” with cardboard coffee cups rather than regular mugs at HGI, in addition at Fairfield guests are expected to bring their dirty dishes back to a discard area which is in contrast with full table service at HGI. Fortunately the restaurant at Fairfield is very large and there were very few guests when I was there so they do not have a problem of people leaving behind dirty and messy tables, at least not yet until hotel popularity picks up.  I guess the so-so breakfast is to be expected from a hotel that offers free breakfast for all guests: quality suffers in these circumstances.  It is different at HGI where guests must pay for the breakfast and as a Diamond guest you can it for free so you get more value for the money if you have elite status.  

IMG_2381.jpegIMG_2382.jpeg

The breakfast area is almost more a working area than a typical restaurant.  There were convenient power plugs available at several tables so I could see some people making good use of the restaurant as a working place when getting tired of staying in their hotel room.  

IMG_2380.jpeg

Overall

Overall there are pros and cons of Fairfield compared to other options near the airport, but I can recommend it and I will return when the price is right.  Fairfield is a good fit for people who care most about a large(r) and modern room, less so for people who value a good breakfast.  Prices at Fairfield YOW are comparable with HGI YOW for most dates.  I generally find flexible rates lower at HGI but pre-paid rates a bit lower at Fairfield.  

Fairfield Inn Ottawa Airport

Would you like to write a review on the Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes
unclepants likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I've stayed at this Fairfield ~5 times in the past few months while transiting at YOW. Enjoy the free breakfast they offer. As you pointed out it's not amazing (hot foods include scrambled eggs, pre-made omelet, sausage patties, ham slices), but still better than nothing and enough to tide you over until you get to the airport or board your flight. Rooms are all brand new and very spacious and on one side of the hotel offer views of the airport and runway (from a distance). Shuttle is shared with the Hilton Garden Inn next door and isn't as consistent as I'd like. Have ended up taken taxi's a few times after waiting 20+ minutes for the shuttle. Only negative is that there isn't really anything within walking distance of the hotel, so only option for lunch/dinner is at the restaurant inside the HGI next door.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
I've stayed here a couple times now as its closer to the area of the city where I used to live and this closer to the friends I want to visit than the Fairfield in Kanata where I stay for work.

Rooms are massive, with sinks in the main area in addition to the mini-fridge and microwave.

Mobile key has worked once (with no trip to the front desk) and failed to work once, so I'm batting .500.

The breakfast area can get overrun on the weekend as the hotel is an affordable location for youth sports teams or other travelling groups of families.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.