Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How to determine whether rate is "qualifying"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I have a few upcoming stays where the I've been booked under a "locally negotiated rate" directly with the hotel in question.

Is there any way I can confirm/check whether this rate is "qualifying" in terms of points/nights credit?

From past experiences, I haven't had any issues, but since these stays are quite long, I wanted to make sure. Perhaps rate negotiated had something in it stipulating no points/nights .

Would hotel front desk be able to determine this if I called?

Side note, the rate isn't ridiculously low in any way, in fact it's actually more than the AAA rate some days.

TIA
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since you did the negotiation, was there any mention by the hotel that in exchange for the lower rate you would not receive nights/points credit? If the answer is no, then you'll receive points/night stay credit. Since the rate is not dirt cheap, doubt you'll have a problem.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since you did the negotiation, was there any mention by the hotel that in exchange for the lower rate you would not receive nights/points credit? If the answer is no, then you'll receive points/night stay credit. Since the rate is not dirt cheap, doubt you'll have a problem.

Cheers.
Unfortunately I wasn't the one negotiating it, and I can't readily get a copy of the agreement...

​​​​​​Was mainly curious whether this is something a quick call to front desk would be able to confirm. If not, I'll have to cross my fingers and hope.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Suppose you learn somehow (from contracting the hotel or whatever) that it isn't a qualifying rate. What would you do then? Reserve under a different rate plan, cancel the trip, stay elsewhere, etc.?

If this is some business trip where you must go, must stay in that hotel, and must use the reservation you have under the locally negotiated rate, asking in advance won't matter but it might reduce the chance (however small) that you'll ge given credit by mistake.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:09 pm

In the SPG days locally negotiated rate was a standard expreddion for rate not eligible—no points, no nights credit.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Suppose you learn somehow (from contracting the hotel or whatever) that it isn't a qualifying rate. What would you do then? Reserve under a different rate plan, cancel the trip, stay elsewhere, etc.?

If this is some business trip where you must go, must stay in that hotel, and must use the reservation you have under the locally negotiated rate, asking in advance won't matter but it might reduce the chance (however small) that you'll ge given credit by mistake.
I'd explore other options if the stay was not eligible. I'm not being forced into this particular rate.

I'd possibly book under the AAA rate plan and eat the difference myself if I was able to find out ahead of time.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So the problem is that you need a definitive answer regarding whether the rate is eligible without asking the person on your side who negotiated the contract or asking your organization for a copy of the contract, right?

Depending on the size of the property and the size of the contract, I'd probably try to start by contacting the hotel's sale manager. I don't think a random front desk agent would know and they might be tempted to just make up an answer (perhaps not even understanding the question or why you care) to make you go away. You certainly want to know the person's name and job title and ideally to get the answer in writing, in an email to you, that references your specific reservation confirmation number.
DJ_Iceman and writerguyfl like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think a random front desk agent would know and they might be tempted to just make up an answer (perhaps not even understanding the question or why you care) to make you go away.
I think this is correct in most hotels. The Front Desk isn't involved in this aspect of hotel operations, so they wouldn't necessarily know where to find that information in the system.

While your suggestion of contacting a Sales Manager would probably work (as would an on-site Reservations or Revenue Manager), I'd vote for contacting person/office in the company who did negotiate that rate. To me, that's easier than trying to track down someone at the hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I think this is correct in most hotels. The Front Desk isn't involved in this aspect of hotel operations, so they wouldn't necessarily know where to find that information in the system.

While your suggestion of contacting a Sales Manager would probably work (as would an on-site Reservations or Revenue Manager), I'd vote for contacting person/office in the company who did negotiate that rate. To me, that's easier than trying to track down someone at the hotel.
I agree, assuming that the person who negotiated the contract understands the meaning and implications of qualifying rate, but OP said that he/she can't get a copy of the contract and seems very reluctant to try to ask questions of the person who negotiated it. So the only remaining acceptable option seems to be to ask the hotel and, if so, I certainly wouldn't ask a random front desk agent.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've reached out to the person who negotiated the rate, as well as the hotel sales office in hopes of getting clarification.

That being said, this is a legacy Mar property, so was wondering how have people's past experiences been with regards to legacy properties treating negotiated rates as eligible?
I see a few posts above, someone mentioned that for old SPG, properties typically treated these as non-eligible.

I'm pretty sure I've had these kind of rates earn points/nights in the past before, but now I am doubting my memory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.