Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

GONE $3/night AC Hotel by Marriott Times Square Nov 24th Booking, NOT being honored

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE $3/night AC Hotel by Marriott Times Square Nov 24th Booking, NOT being honored

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For all we know, the AC general manager might offer some special rate for people who booked the $3 rate, although it won't be $3. Perhaps the person who received the email (I'm not sure whether it's the OP or someone else) should contact the GM about rebooking and see what is offered.
The property definitely 100% mishandled it. They should not of cancelled the reservations. The first step is contact all the bookings letting them know the rate was an error but they can offer whatever in exchange allowing time of a week or two for the guest to accept or cancel.
fotoflyer88 and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
Marketing for what? The locust who decent on the error rate? They may be better off not to have this kind of customers to "discover" their hotel. From its root (a Spanish chain) it has never been known for being generous just by how they meticulously distinguish their rooms down to whether the coffee/tea making pots are available depending on the rates booked... for those who are unwashed and think this is just another low end brand of the big Marriott "family".
Easy PR. CX screwed up spectacularly a few months ago offering sub 1000 USD roundtrips in F to the US from Vietnam - they owned it, honored it and earned some good press.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by Antarius
Easy PR. CX screwed up spectacularly a few months ago offering sub 1000 USD roundtrips in F to the US from Vietnam - they owned it, honored it and earned some good press.
exactly.especially considering I doubt it was all 260 rooms that got booked at this rate. I’ll add that I’ve never stayed at an AC and imagine many others don’t know the brand in the USA either.
mikebor and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88

exactly.especially considering I doubt it was all 260 rooms that got booked at this rate. I’ll add that I’ve never stayed at an AC and imagine many others don’t know the brand in the USA either.
The General Manager never called me back today at all. I have never stayed at an AC but for me at least(not speaking for anyone else) this hotel's actions AFTER they realized they published a rate in error makes me less inclined to ever stay in one. Canceled everyone's reservation without even reaching out, never sent any correspondence until I left the GM a voicemail late in the day yesterday and then lo and behold - an email gets sent out soon after. Finally the lack of a callback from this GM after I left 2 messages and am an Ambassador member. Pretty bad all the way around if you ask me.
a330300 and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88

Originally Posted by mikebor
The General Manager never called me back today at all. I have never stayed at an AC but for me at least(not speaking for anyone else) this hotel's actions AFTER they realized they published a rate in error makes me less inclined to ever stay in one. Canceled everyone's reservation without even reaching out, never sent any correspondence until I left the GM a voicemail late in the day yesterday and then lo and behold - an email gets sent out soon after. Finally the lack of a callback from this GM after I left 2 messages and am an Ambassador member. Pretty bad all the way around if you ask me.
The point is, they dont care, especially for the type of guests they dont want.

You can voice your displeasure everywhere on the internet, but that probably would not make any damage to the brand or the property when people learn the reasons of your rant - not getting the $3 a night error rate for a property in NYC Time Square...

It is nice when the airlines / hotels honor the error rates but please not kid yourselves that this would be good press for the airlines / hotels and you would bring business to them... Yeah right, with CX honored the mistake fares you would buy their premium cabin fares? Get real.

CX probably has done some calculation that for the money it pulls in, might not be too much less than letting those seats being redeemed by AA or AS members, or worse, fly the cabin almost empty.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Ughhhh the reply from the GM! This guy is a joke!

Thank you for your email response and understanding

As stated in my original email, we discovered this error that resulted in your reservations being made at the hotel at incorrect rates. Unfortunately, because of this system error, your reservation was canceled.

Your loyalty is extremely important to us. Due to this loyalty, I would like to offer you a 25% discount off of the actual selling rate of $229 (+ taxes per, night, per room, no meals included) for the night of November 24th, 2019 if booked directly through the hotel. This rate is valid for astandard king bedded room, max occupancy of two (2) people. Should you require a standard double beddedroom, max occupancy of four (4) people, I can offer 25% off the selling rate of $249(+ taxes per, night, per room, no meals included). While I understand that this is not a $2 rate, I hope you can understand that we are truly sorry for the confusion and want to do right by our most valuable guests, you.

The above rates will be valid for 2 weeks, until 3 pm EST on Friday, March 01, 2019; after this date rates and availability will be subject to change.

No discounted rates apply to upgraded room types.

As a reminder, Marriott Information may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors, including but not limited to inaccuracies relating to pricing or availability applicable to your transaction. Marriott does not assume responsibility or liability for any such inaccuracies, errors or omissions, and shall have no obligation to honor reservations or information affected by such inaccuracies. Marriott reserves the right to make changes, corrections, cancellations and/or improvements to Marriott Information, and to the products and programs described in such information, at any time without notice, including after confirmation of a transaction.

If you would like to move forward with this offer please reach out to me as soon as possible, as I am sure you are aware our hotel availability is limited.

I look forward to assisting you with rebooking and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Last edited by Star_Guy; Feb 15, 2019 at 11:39 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Seems perfectly reasonable to me--good service recovery by that GM!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
CX probably has done some calculation that for the money it pulls in, might not be too much less than letting those seats being redeemed by AA or AS members, or worse, fly the cabin almost empty.
One other factor is the structure of hotels vs airlines too. CX is a homogeneous entity, they own and operate their entire operation. This AC (as with most) are franchised, which changes the responsibility paradigm somewhat.

To me, Marriott Corporate should own this mistake and invest in some basic data validation. I work in enterprise systems and it isn't hard to put a check in that says "Hey, this rate is absurdly low relative to average/threshold/seasonal/geographic area", maybe you should check it again?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
Probably we need to bring up the case to Marriott instead of dealing with the hotel manager. Why wouldn't they cancel any overpriced booking as price drops? It is ridiculous.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Now, can someone post they will take the property and Marriott to court, just like in almost every mistake airline fare thread?

Originally Posted by light02
Why wouldn't they cancel any overpriced booking as price drops? It is ridiculous.
Marriott has cancellation options, where you can cancel without incurring charges, and rebook at lower rates at the same property, or competing/nearby locations.
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i remember a few years ago the four points lax offered a mistake $10 rate & a number of people took advantage of that....the gm of the property at that time (phil) is pretty active on ft & he actually asked for advice here on what he should do....eventually i think he decided to honour the rate but informed all those who booked it that they would not receive any on property elite benefits....so no upgrades, free breakfast, etc....i think that was extremely generous....even though i was not one of the lucky ones to take advantage of this rate, this gesture definitely won my loyalty & i continued to stay at this property till phil moved to the westin lax....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Keyser
i remember a few years ago the four points lax offered a mistake $10 rate & a number of people took advantage of that....the gm of the property at that time (phil) is pretty active on ft & he actually asked for advice here on what he should do....eventually i think he decided to honour the rate but informed all those who booked it that they would not receive any on property elite benefits....so no upgrades, free breakfast, etc....i think that was extremely generous....even though i was not one of the lucky ones to take advantage of this rate, this gesture definitely won my loyalty & i continued to stay at this property till phil moved to the westin lax....
Do you remember Phil's last name? Are you sure it was the Four Points and not the Crowne Plaza LAX? I remember seeing his name lots of times in the USA Today when they had columns on the hotels and they always quoted a GM in the LAX area first name Phil. I can't remember his last name though.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:14 pm

Received the same canned email AFTER reaching out to MBonvoyAssist on Twitter. Echoing others - I wouldn't have been bothered as much had the property been proactive in reaching out.

However, the way this was handled was pretty much textbook NOT how to run a hospitality operation.

The random quoting of the Marriott T&Cs in the email from the GM was another nice touch.

I plan to reach out to the GM, but expect the same response Star_Guy received.

Another few avenues for those that may want to put a bit of pressure on the hotel:

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs Complaint:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/consum...complaint.page

OTO Development (owner of the property)
https://www.otodevelopment.com/company/leadership/
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...53183929249792
mikebor likes this.

Last edited by a330300; Feb 15, 2019 at 11:24 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Do you remember Phil's last name? Are you sure it was the Four Points and not the Crowne Plaza LAX? I remember seeing his name lots of times in the USA Today when they had columns on the hotels and they always quoted a GM in the LAX area first name Phil. I can't remember his last name though.
He just went by Phil on FT even though someone may know his last name. For example see post # 594.

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:28 pm

Phil Baxter
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...r#post23981247
https://www.hosthotels.com/news/prop...ater-and-power
mikebor and margarita girl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.