Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

GONE $3/night AC Hotel by Marriott Times Square Nov 24th Booking, NOT being honored

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE $3/night AC Hotel by Marriott Times Square Nov 24th Booking, NOT being honored

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
There's another recent thread where a hotel was offering confirmed rates of $1/night. I think they were new or opening after major overhaul. So, this rate is not impossible-though highly improbable.
fotoflyer88 and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
The emailed I received

My name is Benjamin Britton, General Manager of the AC Hotel New York Times Squareregarding your reservation at our property on November 24th.

We recently discovered that an error resulted in a number of reservations being made at the hotel at incorrect rates. Unfortunately, your reservation was one of the affected. As a result of this error your reservation, confirmation *********, has been cancelled.

The loyalty of our customers who have been impacted by this error is important to us. Please feel free to contact me within the next two weeks so that my team and I can assist you with rebooking your reservation for future dates.

I can be reached via email at[email protected] Monday through Friday.

I look forward to speaking with you and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

**** Marriott Information may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors, including but not limited to inaccuracies relating to pricing or availability applicable to your transaction. Marriott does not assume responsibility or liability for any such inaccuracies, errors or omissions, and shall have no obligation to honor reservations or information affected by such inaccuracies. Marriott reserves the right to make changes, corrections, cancellations and/or improvements to Marriott Information, and to the products and programs described in such information, at any time without notice, including after confirmation of a transaction.****

Kindest Regards,

Benjamin Britton

General Manager [email protected]

T: 212.398.2700 Ext:4001

F: 212.398.2718

Wow, So if a customer messed up on a reservation, it’s on us and they can charge us fees and stuff, But when Marriott mess up on something they have the right to cancel reservation and get out of it??
fotoflyer88 likes this.

Last edited by Star_Guy; Feb 14, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
You mean this wasn't their Welcome to bonvOy rate?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
On the same night, there is a Fairfield property in Manhattan with lowest member prepay rate at $881. More than Chatwal, and not much less than SR.

Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Star_Guy
But when Marriott mess up on something they have the right to cancel reservation and get out of it?
The FTC and common sense both say yes.
C17PSGR and writerguyfl like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:53 pm

Wow, So if a customer messed up on a reservation, it’s on us and they can charge us fees and stuff, But when Marriott mess up on something they have the right to cancel reservation and get out of it??
You get 24 hours to cancel a reservation that you've made without any fees or penalties.

And really classy putting all of the personal information up for that individual.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Originally Posted by joeags
You get 24 hours to cancel a reservation that you've made without any fees or penalties.

And really classy putting all of the personal information up for that individual.

well I didn’t give him permission to cancel my reservation and they should have honored my reservation!!!

Everyone who reservation got cancel, please call him and demanded our room to be reinstated !
mikebor and DFWsakp like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

well I didn’t give him permission to cancel my reservation and they should have honored my reservation!!!

Everyone who reservation got cancel, please call him and demanded our room to be reinstated !

You can also tell him he writes a decent opera! ;-) That couldn't be his real name, could it?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:20 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic

Under common law used in North American courts, there is a reasonableness test. Will a reasonable person seeing $3 per night in New York consider it a mistaken fare. If it is more likely than not, a reasonable person thinks it is a mistaken fare, then I think one can get out of the deal. Just like if a night of hotel of a regular room shown to be 9999 instead of 99.99 and you thought it was 99.99 and booked it, the hotel more likely than not cannot hold you to the reservation.

There are situations where the hotel will need to accept the deal. W New York when launched had a botched nightly rate of like sub $100. It's low enough that people believe it is a possible promotion but high enough that a reasonable person can't say it is obviously a mistaken nightly rate. So the hotel ended up honoring all reservations. At that time, lots of SPG flyertalkers flew to New York just for the hotel grand opening week and had a blast/short vacation.

I think if the rate was say $30 instead of $3, the Marriott Time Square probably would have had to honor it.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum

Exactly. And I asked the GM of the current hotel I am staying at tonight about this situation. She told me that hotel SHOULD honor the rate and she would as a GM if her property had published a rate in error. I tend to agree actually and that email from the AC General Manager was conveniently sent AFTER I left that voicemail for him. He probably received my voice message, realized they didn't communicate anything to all the people who booked the $2.00 rate and quickly created that email. I received that email around 6 pm EST and I left him a voicemail at 5 pm EST. He never called me back though.

Obviously there isn't really much I can do other than to try and convince him that they should do the right thing and honor this rate. The GM at my current hotel brought up an interesting analogy on the other side. She said, what if the hotel had mistakenly put a higher rate that evening of $699? And let's say 10 people booked it. Would they cancel their reservation like they did ours and say they couldn't honor it? I highly doubt it. This AC GM needs to do the right thing and honor that rate for the 1 night in error. That's my opinion at least.
strickerj and Star_Guy like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:31 pm

What a missed opportunity for the hotel! Charge it to marketing and call it a day... or at least come back with a deep discount and see if you can expose new customers to your property.
fotoflyer88 and Star_Guy like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Most of you would have needed to position (and re-position) + incidentals = additional costs. Benefits: 1 night of credit and very little in points. Plus, NYC gets crazy that time of the year. Worth it? I am not sure.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For all we know, the AC general manager might offer some special rate for people who booked the $3 rate, although it won't be $3. Perhaps the person who received the email (I'm not sure whether it's the OP or someone else) should contact the GM about rebooking and see what is offered.
TerryK and writerguyfl like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by mikebor
Exactly. And I asked the GM of the current hotel I am staying at tonight about this situation. She told me that hotel SHOULD honor the rate and she would as a GM if her property had published a rate in error. I tend to agree actually and that email from the AC General Manager was conveniently sent AFTER I left that voicemail for him. He probably received my voice message, realized they didn't communicate anything to all the people who booked the $2.00 rate and quickly created that email. I received that email around 6 pm EST and I left him a voicemail at 5 pm EST. He never called me back though.

Obviously there isn't really much I can do other than to try and convince him that they should do the right thing and honor this rate. The GM at my current hotel brought up an interesting analogy on the other side. She said, what if the hotel had mistakenly put a higher rate that evening of $699? And let's say 10 people booked it. Would they cancel their reservation like they did ours and say they couldn't honor it? I highly doubt it. This AC GM needs to do the right thing and honor that rate for the 1 night in error. That's my opinion at least.
I would have let it sit a few days before calling - for this reason to see if they are just amateur hour. Have not decided yet how I will respond but I will add it was a missed opportunity for some marketing.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marketing for what? The locust who decent on the error rate? They may be better off not to have this kind of customers to "discover" their hotel. From its root (a Spanish chain) it has never been known for being generous just by how they meticulously distinguish their rooms down to whether the coffee/tea making pots are available depending on the rates booked... for those who are unwashed and think this is just another low end brand of the big Marriott "family".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.